Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High and Low g guys.

Default Carrying both Hi and Low g

Just curious....when you go to your local uke group, do you take both a hi and low g with you?

I知 a low g guy, but on some songs, a high g sounds better, imho.

I知 debating actually carrying both and am wondering if others have tried this and if so, what their experience has been.
    Last edited by about2; 01-29-2020 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by about2 View Post
    Just curious....when you go to your local uke group, do you take both a hi and low g with you?

I’m a low g guy, but on some songs, a high g sounds better, imho.

I’m debating actually carrying both and am wondering if others have tried this and if so, what their experience has been.
    I only bring one instrument to our uke jams. I am mainly a lowG player but do have high G. We have anywhere from 30-50 people at our uke jams so you are drown out by the roar of 49 others. Doesn’t matter what I bring......can’t hear it anyways.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields walnut pineapple super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Enya Nova *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

I just bring one normal uke (usually low-D or low-G if I planned ahead, or high-G if I grab the soprano from my office at the last minute). I used to bring bari and tenor, but as I've gotten more comfortable with both tunings I don't switch often enough during a jam to be worth it. Once I work up to the open-mic I might want both again (nah - just jam with whichever one I prepped a song for). For the group that doesn't have another primary bassist I'll bring my bass. Most of the dual-instrument folks who show up locally have a banjo or 8-string as their second rather than a high-G / low-G.

Carrying multiples was a real pain until I got a dual baritone case that can corral any two of my bari, bass, and tenor, as well as my iPad and stand. This leaves my hands free for doors and my amp.

I have way too many instruments so when playing out I try to rotate them. Though priority is always the kind of music and songs that will be played so I try to pick the most suitable instrument for the occasion, otherwise one that hasn't been out for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by about2 View Post

I知 a low g guy, but on some songs, a high g sounds better, imho.

I知 debating actually carrying both and am wondering if others have tried this and if so, what their experience has been.
    Here is the answer to your problem that I solved in a different way. I had luthier build me a double neck ukulele out of Cocobolo wood, I gave him measurements and chose the figure wood out of a lot, had one concert-high G, other neck tenor low g, so now after much trading during group time, back n forth with two, I just switch while playing. I actually had luthier make two of them, other one for sale on Craig痴 list Salem oregon, other ad on Facebook ukulele marketplace.
    He wanted to put pickups on in other country but I had them put on here, two sensors under each bridge all leading to one jack out. Love it every day. Interested, send pm or check those other places

I guess I wouldn't think the difference in sound between high and low G is enough to warrant carting along two ukes. In contrast, taking a regular uke and either a resonator or banjo uke makes sense (never know when a Stephen Foster or blues song will be called) because they give such different sounds.
    Blackbird Farallon Ekoa Tenor
    Beltona Songster Resonator Tenor
    Klos Carbon Fiber Tenor
    Magic Fluke Tenor Firefly Banjolele

I don't see very many people in our group bringing multiple ukuleles. Once in a while, but not regularly. But there are a few that each week show up with something different.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

my preference is for high g string sets as the G string gets hit hard when I strum and it seems to overpower the others, but I will be giving them a try again soon. I am a minimalist but currently struggling with wanting to get a second(an electric solid body) and maybe a third (banjo uke) to cover all combinations of kit that I would ever want to use.

I envy the OP as they have a local club to go to. My nearest one is an hour each way so I mainly just do youtubing with the Seasons crowd. If I were to go to a club, it would be with two ukes as I like smaller ones and aren't tough to carry.

I have two favourite ukes, a concert strung High g, and a tenor in low G, which I normally rotate at the large groups I go to. When playing/performing with my small group I always take both. Some songs need a more ''Ukey'' sound which is supplied by the concert and some I just love the sound of the tenor. Also, it might be just me, but if I snap a string its nice to have a spare instrument to go to immediately. Replacing a string is a big deal for me to do, takes time, effort and multiple mugs of coffee.

I like to bring two ukes, depending on the room available. I wouldn't bring two low-Gs, though. I like to bring two that are very different - a wooden tenor and a banjo uke, for example.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Thread Information