High and Low g guys.

about2

Reaction score
Carrying both Hi and Low g

Just curious....when you go to your local uke group, do you take both a hi and low g with you?

I’m a low g guy, but on some songs, a high g sounds better, imho.

I’m debating actually carrying both and am wondering if others have tried this and if so, what their experience has been.

Last edited:
Just curious....when you go to your local uke group, do you take both a hi and low g with you?

I’m debating actually carrying both and am wondering if others have tried this and if so, what their experience has been.

I only bring one instrument to our uke jams. I am mainly a lowG player but do have high G. We have anywhere from 30-50 people at our uke jams so you are drown out by the roar of 49 others. Doesn’t matter what I bring......can’t hear it anyways.

I just bring one normal uke (usually low-D or low-G if I planned ahead, or high-G if I grab the soprano from my office at the last minute). I used to bring bari and tenor, but as I've gotten more comfortable with both tunings I don't switch often enough during a jam to be worth it. Once I work up to the open-mic I might want both again (nah - just jam with whichever one I prepped a song for). For the group that doesn't have another primary bassist I'll bring my bass. Most of the dual-instrument folks who show up locally have a banjo or 8-string as their second rather than a high-G / low-G.

Carrying multiples was a real pain until I got a dual baritone case that can corral any two of my bari, bass, and tenor, as well as my iPad and stand. This leaves my hands free for doors and my amp.

I have way too many instruments so when playing out I try to rotate them. Though priority is always the kind of music and songs that will be played so I try to pick the most suitable instrument for the occasion, otherwise one that hasn't been out for a while.

Here is the answer to your problem that I solved in a different way. I had luthier build me a double neck ukulele out of Cocobolo wood, I gave him measurements and chose the figure wood out of a lot, had one concert-high G, other neck tenor low g, so now after much trading during group time, back n forth with two, I just switch while playing. I actually had luthier make two of them, other one for sale on Craig’s list Salem oregon, other ad on Facebook ukulele marketplace.
He wanted to put pickups on in other country but I had them put on here, two sensors under each bridge all leading to one jack out. Love it every day. Interested, send pm or check those other places

I guess I wouldn't think the difference in sound between high and low G is enough to warrant carting along two ukes. In contrast, taking a regular uke and either a resonator or banjo uke makes sense (never know when a Stephen Foster or blues song will be called) because they give such different sounds.

I don't see very many people in our group bringing multiple ukuleles. Once in a while, but not regularly. But there are a few that each week show up with something different.

my preference is for high g string sets as the G string gets hit hard when I strum and it seems to overpower the others, but I will be giving them a try again soon. I am a minimalist but currently struggling with wanting to get a second(an electric solid body) and maybe a third (banjo uke) to cover all combinations of kit that I would ever want to use.

I envy the OP as they have a local club to go to. My nearest one is an hour each way so I mainly just do youtubing with the Seasons crowd. If I were to go to a club, it would be with two ukes as I like smaller ones and aren't tough to carry.

I have two favourite ukes, a concert strung High g, and a tenor in low G, which I normally rotate at the large groups I go to. When playing/performing with my small group I always take both. Some songs need a more ''Ukey'' sound which is supplied by the concert and some I just love the sound of the tenor. Also, it might be just me, but if I snap a string its nice to have a spare instrument to go to immediately. Replacing a string is a big deal for me to do, takes time, effort and multiple mugs of coffee.

Our coffeehouse is too crowded; an extra uke won't fit!

Part of the adventure is selecting one uke and making the most of it no matter what songs turn up. You might learn something new about that uke and how to play it.

The preferred uke for our group is low G, but both are welcome. I haven’t seen anyone bring a high and low G.

I always bring one of each. I occasionally lend one out if someone is visiting and does not have a uke, or if someone discovers their case is empty.

Also, we have a few open mic slots during our jams, so I’ll need one or the other, if and when, depending on what tune I end up playing.

Edit: spelling and grammar

Wouldn't be much point in our group. You can only hear yourself or your immediate neighbors playing anyway. The group is so big we take over the central area of a large mall and the leaders have to use a PA system lol.

I only play high G and bring one uke. If I wanted to play linear tuning, I'd go back to playing guitar, but I like the sound of high G much better and gave my guitars to my nephew once I started playing uke..

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 6 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 41)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Wouldn't be much point in our group. You can only hear yourself or your immediate neighbors playing anyway. The group is so big we take over the central area of a large mall and the leaders have to use a PA system lol.

I have double neck, high & low strings. The thing with me is I can hear the same tune in BOTH for my enjoyment of the song while playing going back and forth, this is my fun with playing in group. Yes try the two strings in your group, more fun for you as you & I progress in our playing. Have fun

Top Bottom