Strings What strings are these?

kkimura

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I recently bought a used Ko'olau concert that has black strings on it. While I'm somewhat sure they aren't Ko'olau 'Alohi or Mahana strings (wrong color) I like these black strings but don't know what they are.

They are solid black and feel like fluorocarbon to my uneducated fingers. But could be nylon too because I don't have much experience with nylon strings. They also seem to be more temperature sensitive than the Worth clears or the Martin m600s on my tenor and soprano if that helps.

Thanks in advance for any Ideas.

IMG_1132.jpg

IMG_1133.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, they are black fluorocarbon strings.
Very common on Hawaiian ukuleles. They are/were standard on Kamaka ukuleles. The Kamaka strings are/were made by D'adarrio. Freemont also make some black fluorocarbon strings.

Yes, they are black fluorocarbon strings.
Very common on Hawaiian ukuleles. They are/were standard on Kamaka ukuleles. The Kamaka strings are/were made by D'adarrio. Freemont also make some black fluorocarbon strings.

Thanks for the quick reply!

It seems that D'Addarios are nylon and Fremonts are fluorocarbon. Maybe when it comes time to replace the strings I should try both.

I thought that Kamaka used black nylon, not fluorocarbon, strings. They certainly used to.

I see they recently changed their packaging for strings, and now it does not explicitly say "nylon", (see link here: https://store.kamakahawaii.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=S%2D1) but you can still see the old packaging at other online retailers (see link here: https://www.elderly.com/collections...ducts/kamaka-s-1-standard-concert-ukulele-set )

Yes, that follows if D'Addario makes the Kamaka strings because the D'Addarios are nylon. I can't tell for sure if the strings on my uke are nylon or fluorocarbon.

Standard Kamaka strings are black nylon. I thought Koolau usually came with fluorocarbons, but the previous owner of that one may have had different preferences.
IMG_20200130_072852.jpg

Is there a way to tell which of the four black string sets, D'Addario, Kamaka, Fremont or GHS, are on this ukulele?

Is there a way to tell which of the four black string sets, D'Addario, Kamaka, Fremont or GHS, are on this ukulele?

Other than finding out the string gauges of each set and using calipers to measure it, I'm not sure. Even then, you'd probably just get an idea if they were nylon or fluorocarbon. I seem to recall the Fremonts seemed pretty thin and nylons would likely be thicker.

If you have both nylon and fluoro strings on your other ukuleles, you might be able to compare the feel and sound and make an educated guess too.

Other than finding out the string gauges of each set and using calipers to measure it, I'm not sure. Even then, you'd probably just get an idea if they were nylon or fluorocarbon. I seem to recall the Fremonts seemed pretty thin and nylons would likely be thicker.

If you have both nylon and fluoro strings on your other ukuleles, you might be able to compare the feel and sound and make an educated guess too.

Once strings go on, the diameters change because it streatches.

When the time comes to change strings I'll have to try different strings until it sounds right I guess. Sorting them out by guess and by golly, I'd go with Fremonts first followed by D'Addarios, Kamaka and then GHS. If I'm lucky I won't have to try to many string sets.

Hard to tell visually.

If it's nylon, D'addario black nylon (Kamaka strings)...

If Fluorocarbon, could be Fremont Black or Worth Browns.

On personal preference, I like nylon much more than fluorocarbon.

Hard to tell visually.

If it's nylon, D'addario black nylon (Kamaka strings)...

If Fluorocarbon, could be Fremont Black or Worth Browns.

On personal preference, I like nylon much more than fluorocarbon.

How do I find out whether I have nylon or fluorocarbon?

Based on color and that you said they seem to be more temperature sensitive, I'd guess D'addario black nylon. Nylons should be thicker than fluorocarbon, as previously mentioned.

Once strings go on, the diameters change because it streatches.

Good point. You'd have to measure any excess sticking out of the peg or the bridge. Still, kkimura could compare it to other ukes to see if they seem thicker or thinner than the known strings and make a better guess if they're fluoro or nylon.

Good point. You'd have to measure any excess sticking out of the peg or the bridge. Still, kkimura could compare it to other ukes to see if they seem thicker or thinner than the known strings and make a better guess if they're fluoro or nylon.

Good idea, my other two ukes wear fluorocarbon strings. The tenor has Worth clears and the soprano has Martin M600 (which are used for both soprano and concert ukes). Two have tie bridges the other slots but I always leave a little string hanging out to make it easier to change strings.

Last edited:
Sorry for the long absence, I had to re-learn how to use my old vernier calipers. (The only precision measuring tool I have left from my days as a machinist.) I measured the strings on my C1 at the short tails left on the tuning pegs avoiding the stretched part of the strings and compared them to the diameters of the four "black" strings suggested above.

Apparently the closest match are the GHS H10 nylon strings. Data sheet attached. I must admit, I'm surprised at how good they sound.

Black Concert String Gauges

C1;.0250, .0320, .0360, .0280
Kamaka; .0280, .0322, .0403, .0280
Fremont Black Line; .0220, .0270, .0310, .0230
D'Adario EJ53C; .0260, .0320, .0360, .0280
GHS H-10; .0250, .0320, .0360, .0280

Sorry but the chart didn't transfer well

Last edited:
Sorry for the long absence, I had to re-learn how to use my old vernier calipers. (The only precision measuring tool I have left from my days as a machinist.) I measured the strings on my C1 at the short tails left on the tuning pegs avoiding the stretched part of the strings and compared them to the diameters of the four "black" strings suggested above.

Apparently the closest match are the GHS H10 nylon strings. Data sheet attached. I must admit, I'm surprised at how good they sound.

Black Concert String Gauges

C1;.0250, .0320, .0360, .0280
Kamaka; .0280, .0322, .0403, .0280
Fremont Black Line; .0220, .0270, .0310, .0230
D'Adario EJ53C; .0260, .0320, .0360, .0280
GHS H-10; .0250, .0320, .0360, .0280

Sorry but the chart didn't transfer well

Thanks for the diligent measuring and reporting of results. I am not surprised that they match GHS, as GHS is one of the few brands that manufacture their own strings and therefore supply other brands with strings for re-labeling. For example Gibson branded guitar strings are actually made by GHS, as are the Kanile'a wound strings. Aquila and d'Addario are also major suppliers to smaller brands as they also are manufacturers. I think that Kamaka strings are also made by d'Addario. I am not sure what companies actually manufacture fluorocarbon strings, but likely there are two or three producers that supply the raw materials to the string companies for packaging. There is much, much less diversity than the number of brands and products marketed suggests.

Confirms my recollection of the Fremonts being thinner than a lot of the other strings I've used. Good to hear you found something you really like.

Thanks for the diligent measuring and reporting of results. I am not surprised that they match GHS, as GHS is one of the few brands that manufacture their own strings and therefore supply other brands with strings for re-labeling. For example Gibson branded guitar strings are actually made by GHS, as are the Kanile'a wound strings. Aquila and d'Addario are also major suppliers to smaller brands as they also are manufacturers. I think that Kamaka strings are also made by d'Addario. I am not sure what companies actually manufacture fluorocarbon strings, but likely there are two or three producers that supply the raw materials to the string companies for packaging. There is much, much less diversity than the number of brands and products marketed suggests.

And, thanks for suggesting GHS strings. Up to this point I have never heard of them.

Top Bottom