NUD: Aklot Concert with Pickup

Jerryc41

Reaction score
With the discussion of the Enya TransAcoustic ($180) still in my head, I looked around for other inexpensive electric ukes. I found this Aklot acoustic/electric concert for $70. How could I go wrong?

It arrived from Amazon in just two days, and I have no complaints. Construction is flawless, and it sounds just like a ukulele. Plugging it into my Fender Frontman 10 makes it sound even better. I'll be bringing the Fender and this Aklot to our uke session on Saturday, and I'll let the group try it out.

It has a solid mahogany top. The pickup is not integral with the strap button, but is slightly below it, and there is a little door next to the socket where the two CR2032 batteries for the built-in tuner go. This is my first uke with a built-in tuner, and it works very well.

Unlike some other inexpensive electric ukes I saw reviewed, the internal wires do not rattle when the uke is shaken. It seems they are thick, inflexible wires, so they don't move at all.

Like some other ukes, this arrived with picks, batteries, a strap, extra strings, a polishing cloth, some kind of gift card, a chord chart, and an instruction book for beginners.

01.jpg 02.jpg 03.jpg 04.jpg

The open pore finish looks nice, but the bridge would be a reason for me not to buy, not even at that low price. Just too reminiscent of Nazi symbolism.

The maker could be doing the bridge in a Native American thunderbird symbol style. Looks a lot awful like that, to my eyes at least.

Congrats Jerry! Your club is lucky to have you bringing new stuff to try out.

The maker could be doing the bridge in a Native American thunderbird symbol style. Looks a lot awful like that, to my eyes at least.

Congrats Jerry! Your club is lucky to have you bringing new stuff to try out.

Yes, I like that I interpretation. :)

$70? It looks surprisingly nice. I like the open pore finish too. How's the string height and fret ends?

The string height is about 3 mm at the 12th fret. As for the fret ends, they're fine. It's loud, more on the "deep" side than the high-pitched side, and it has lots of sustain. I'm still waiting for my bamboo Aklot concert to arrive from China.

Top Bottom