Ukulele tuning problem after time.

KWRK

Reaction score
Hey! I bought a keiki mini uke roughly half a year ago and weren't playing it that often (it's too small for me, but a cute and great one :D). Now i tried it again after i while and i can see that it is not tuned correctly on all of the frets. Even though its perfectly tuned on empty strings, whichever fret i press it'll be ~15 cents too sharp. I guess neck got bent a little when i wasnt using it? Is it fixable in any way, maybe its not a neck problem, has anyone had similar problem or any problem with the same uke? I really need to fix it, this ukulele is too cute to just throw it away

Intonation problems
Certainly, if the neck is bent there will be issues.
But there are other things that can affect intonation.
With everything perfectly tuned on the open strings, how accurate is the intonation on the first or second fret? If the nut is too high, you might experience problems here.
How accurate is the intonation going up the fret board? Is each fret a little fUrther out of tune? Problems like this might indicate the saddle being too high or misplaced.
Is it just one string that is out or all? Just one and you might investigate using a compensated saddle.
I am sure I am just scratching the surface.

Hey! Thanks for quick answer. I think you might be right, but i never experienced this problem when i the uke was new.
There are (cents) on frets, maybe it will help you to diagnose what is the problem:
0 (0) 1 (17) 2 (20) 3 (22) 4 (25) 5 (27) 6 (32) 7 (39) 8 (42) 9 (45) 10 (-46 from next note)

As strings wear, intonation can deteriorate. After all, the strings are constantly percussing and rubbing against metal frets, and they eventually become untrue in diameter. Sometimes a new string will be bad out of the box. I just installed a set of Worth on my Kala Elite and the A string was nearly a quarter tone off at the 12th fret! I replaced it with Seaguar Pink 40 LB and it was true as true can be. The color of the strings don't match now but they sound good.

Intonation problems to the extent you are describing don't just happen over time.
They must have been there from new but you didn't notice them at the time. Well that's my two bobs worth anyway.

An intonation error as significant as this will in my view be measurable. If an error isn't measurable than its possible the strings needing to be changed yet I would suggest that a measurable error is the most likely explanation.

How good are you at measuring things?
See this thread, https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?139438-(Another)-Intonation-Question%85

Try changing the strings.

Intonation varying along the fretboard is more likely due to the dynamics of the string and not the nut or saddle height.

Use the stewmac fret calculator to calculate what the fret dimensions should be for your scale length, then check the measurements against your uke. If the measurements match then the only thing that can affect the intonation is the physical properties of the string hence change the strings and see how it goes.

Intonation is always going to be tricky on such a small scale instrument. I find with my Keiki, I have to pay a lot more attention to how hard (or more to the point gently) I'm fretting each chord - just enough pressure is what's needed - anything more and the string will sound sharp. Other strings might help. I didn't think the strings that came with mine (allegedly custom Aquila, but I'm not convinced they were any different to ordinary nylguts) were doing it justice. I use lightweight nylon strings (similar to GHS soprano Hawaiian D tuning clear nylons) so I can tune the sopranino up to CFAD. In that tuning I think it really sings!

It took me some time, but about two weeks ago i've changed the strings aaannd... nothing happened. The intonation problem stayed the same.
Intonation is always going to be tricky on such a small scale instrument. [...] just enough pressure is what's needed
I am aware of that, but everything (besides empty strings of course) is sharp no matter how gently i press the strings.

I am still thinking that the problem might be bent neck, but i have no way to check it without calling a luthier, so I am eager to try anything else you can think of.

I am still thinking that the problem might be bent neck, but i have no way to check it without calling a luthier
do you have a ruler you can lay across the frets? holding it like this (see picture below)... (no need to take the strings or the neck off!) ... a small ruler will be best for a tiny instrument. you'll soon see whether all the frets line up nicely against the straight edge, or whether there is a dip in the neck. i have a couple of plastic ukes where the neck is starting to bend, doing the test below, the frets in the middle of the fretboard definitely are too low, i can see the whole neck bend very clearly, when contrasted against the straight edge of the ruler. intonation is definitely affected and the instruments are getting hard to play :-(

EMM_82_08_setting_up_a_large.jpg

Last edited:
removed irrelevant post

Last edited:
The ruler technique is brilliant! The neck seems to be straight, but it looks like it's going downwards from the nut. What i mean is that the 1st fret is higher than the last one. I took of the plastic part of the bridge to make the action lower and it actually helped (with the intonation, now its 15 cents difference on the fifth fret, but the sound is questionable without the bridge).

It's technical. See the link I posted previously. There is no easy answer and fixing it will require employing the services of a "professional".

Top Bottom