Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking to try a baritone uke.

Default Looking to try a baritone uke.

I don't want to spend a bunch of cash and then find out I won't play it much. Looking for opinions on a cheap baritone that I would then do my own setup. Anyone have any experience with the Kmise, Carmel, Savannah, Rogue, Saw Tooth bari's? Is there one of the cheaper baris that is better than the rest?

I was curious as well without forking out too much. I bought a Kmise KMU30B baritone ukulele (Amazon reference no B07HJ3GVL6) last Easter.
    It is the only baritone I have ever played, so I can't compare it to others. It plays well, intonation is spot on. The action at the nut is higher that what I would like, but it doesn't reflect in sharp notes. The looks are simple, plain if you want. But is is very well-built and super tidy. You don't get a lot of other extras, except for the strap for the installed strap buttons, the gig bag (not very protective), some picks, and the key to adjust the truss rod. It's not a bad bet, I think, if you go for a cheap, functional baritone. Mind you, I can't speak for their GCEA tuned baritone, I was sure to stay clear of that.

It sounds quite boomy, it has a nice unoffensive tone. The strings were a bit disappointing for me. D and G were round; I don't like the noise. They are D'Addario, but the G string broke after about 5 weeks. The rest of the original set are still on. I play it about once a week, and I'm getting better with finding the correct chord shapes for the tuning.

Kala/Makala did a fairly good cheap bari - (not sure if it's still produced).
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Whatever you buy, but it from a seller who sets up each ukulele he/she/it sells. Inexpensive ukuleles tend to have high action and it could make the ukulele feel less playable or have bad intonation. I recommend Hawaiian Music Supply (aka The Ukulele Site), Mim's Ukes, or Uke Republic. Each of them will set up whatever you buy, and they're all good at advising you on what baritone ukulele might work best for you.

I have a Rogue that I paid $40 shipped and it's.... ok for $40, but I don't play it much.

I'd second the recommendation of getting one from HMS or UR (Mim no longer carries baritones). Yeah, it'll cost you $150-200 shipped but you'll have a much better chance of sticking to it.

But if you want the Rogue, I'll send it to you for the cost of shipping.
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Bonanzalele concert
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Pelem, B reentrant

!Flukutronic!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hanks View Post
    But if you want the Rogue, I'll send it to you for the cost of shipping.
    You should take him up on that. For a few bucks, you could see if you like the baritone, practice setup on it and then buy something better and pass the baritone on to a kid or something.

I also have a Rogue baritone. I rather like mine. I’d take Jim up on his offer!

I have a Kala KA-B baritone that wasn't too pricey. I checked on Amazon and they had them for $139. I keep it at our ranch and really enjoy playing it. It sounds great and is easy to play - almost as good as my custom baritone that cost way more. I did no setup and don't even think I changed the strings. If you find you like a baritone it is a keeper not a throw away.
    Amazon also has the Makala baritone by Kala for $90.

FWIW, here are the posts I did on the Rogue:
    https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...Rogue-baritone
    https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...Rogue-baritone

I'm pretty sure it still has those "octave lower GCEA" strings in the 2nd video.
    And my mistake, it was $36, not $40.
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Bonanzalele concert
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Pelem, B reentrant

!Flukutronic!

Inexpensive baritone, reviewed by a UU member. Check his other YT videos. That uke always sounds great to me.

https://youtu.be/SHJjhBnXfjE
    John

Thread Information