Looking to try a baritone uke.

moetrout

Reaction score
I don't want to spend a bunch of cash and then find out I won't play it much. Looking for opinions on a cheap baritone that I would then do my own setup. Anyone have any experience with the Kmise, Carmel, Savannah, Rogue, Saw Tooth bari's? Is there one of the cheaper baris that is better than the rest?

I was curious as well without forking out too much. I bought a Kmise KMU30B baritone ukulele (Amazon reference no B07HJ3GVL6) last Easter.
It is the only baritone I have ever played, so I can't compare it to others. It plays well, intonation is spot on. The action at the nut is higher that what I would like, but it doesn't reflect in sharp notes. The looks are simple, plain if you want. But is is very well-built and super tidy. You don't get a lot of other extras, except for the strap for the installed strap buttons, the gig bag (not very protective), some picks, and the key to adjust the truss rod. It's not a bad bet, I think, if you go for a cheap, functional baritone. Mind you, I can't speak for their GCEA tuned baritone, I was sure to stay clear of that.

It sounds quite boomy, it has a nice unoffensive tone. The strings were a bit disappointing for me. D and G were round; I don't like the noise. They are D'Addario, but the G string broke after about 5 weeks. The rest of the original set are still on. I play it about once a week, and I'm getting better with finding the correct chord shapes for the tuning.

Whatever you buy, but it from a seller who sets up each ukulele he/she/it sells. Inexpensive ukuleles tend to have high action and it could make the ukulele feel less playable or have bad intonation. I recommend Hawaiian Music Supply (aka The Ukulele Site), Mim's Ukes, or Uke Republic. Each of them will set up whatever you buy, and they're all good at advising you on what baritone ukulele might work best for you.

I have a Rogue that I paid $40 shipped and it's.... ok for $40, but I don't play it much.

I'd second the recommendation of getting one from HMS or UR (Mim no longer carries baritones). Yeah, it'll cost you $150-200 shipped but you'll have a much better chance of sticking to it.

But if you want the Rogue, I'll send it to you for the cost of shipping.

But if you want the Rogue, I'll send it to you for the cost of shipping.

You should take him up on that. For a few bucks, you could see if you like the baritone, practice setup on it and then buy something better and pass the baritone on to a kid or something.

I have a Kala KA-B baritone that wasn't too pricey. I checked on Amazon and they had them for $139. I keep it at our ranch and really enjoy playing it. It sounds great and is easy to play - almost as good as my custom baritone that cost way more. I did no setup and don't even think I changed the strings. If you find you like a baritone it is a keeper not a throw away.
Amazon also has the Makala baritone by Kala for $90.

Inexpensive baritone, reviewed by a UU member. Check his other YT videos. That uke always sounds great to me.

https://youtu.be/SHJjhBnXfjE

Sounds fantan for a cheap instrument! Of course, the playing is languid and wonderful...
What is this guy's UU handle?
Thx for sharing.

Someone I know has a Lanikai baritone and it sounds pretty good. Buy it from a guitar center, you can order on line and you’ll get a 45 day period to return it.

Last edited:
But, but, but if you buy cheap you wont play it much anyway. I have tried Lanikai and Kala baritones in the shop. Lanikai is acceptable but i think you should spend the extra little money and get a solid top Kala.

That is unless you can get to a shop and try something that you like in the price range you like (i really struggle to make those venn diagrams overlap).

Having said that Koaloha are cheap and surprisingly good. They are related to Lanikai but i think they sound nicer than a cheap Lanikai.

Last edited:
But, but, but if you buy cheap you wont play it much anyway. I have tried Lanikai and Kala baritones in the shop. Lanikai is acceptable but i think you should spend the extra little money and get a solid top Kala.

That is unless you can get to a shop and try something that you like in the price range you like (i really struggle to make those venn diagrams overlap).

Having said that Koaloha are cheap and surprisingly good. They are related to Lanikai but i think they sound nicer than a cheap Lanikai.
OP says he wants to try a baritone and not lose any money if he doesn’t like it. GC will take it back with in 45 days. Of course, check the return policy first. The set up won’t be great but he’ll know quickly if the larger size, fret spacing, tuning and tone suit. Then if OP likes the baritone, return cheapie and look for more expensive one.
I personally was surprised by the Lanikai because I do think they are not that good overall but much better than Luna (IMO).

I have bought both Caramel and Kmise baritones, and either one could do the job for you. These are the best cheapies (sub $100) IMHO. Of course, I'm speaking from my experience, and I haven't owned the other brands you mention. Both are pretty well-made (for the money), and were set up OK out of the box. You can probably get the Kmise in a "Bundle" deal on Amazon for around 70 bucks. The best Caramel is the Zebrawood model (CB103), and is best ordered direct from their website. Your best bet s to take Jim up on his generous offer, if you are in the U.S.

That's my $.02, and good luck in your search.

Yes the Caramel CB-103 is very good, now they have an adjustable truss bar, so they are even better. THe Rosewood one is also very nice sounding. (CB-500?)
I tried out a lot (~10) of bari's at my local shop and found that my CB-103 was as good as any of the sub-$1000 bari's I tried.

Top Bottom