Nice New Kalas

I definitely want one of the zircotes.

I think the bamboo would have been a home run if they put a rosewood or ebony fretboard on it. As is, it’s just too monochromatic. Needs some contrast.

That Kala bamboo uke looks exactly like the Aklot bamboo uke I've been seeing on eBay. My belief is Kala just put their name on a ready made Chinese manufacturer product just as Aklot did. I actually ordered one with a cutaway as a knock around uke (to replace the Fluke I bought in the Marketplace here that I don't like). I really like the monotone style being that much different than all those "same" ones with contrasting fretboards.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 6 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 41)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

I actually ordered one with a cutaway as a knock around uke (to replace the Fluke I bought in the Marketplace here that I don't like).

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 6 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 41)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Our Aklot bamboos should be arriving soon.

Eeyuk!

Most of those ukes look really naff to me - I wouldn't even want one as a gift!

Who at Kala commissioned that load of tat!

Won't be recommending Kala any more!

(Well I might, depends on the rest of the range, but certainly not these.)

Eeyuk!

I'm with Keith on these!

Most of the wacky ones are in the entry level line that already has a bunch of graphics. These look like some great additions for the target market. They remind me of the Magic Fluke graphics, but the figure eight body makes them look very different. I like Kala’s surf design, but not MF’s, and I love MF’s tie dye, but not the similarish Kalas.

The higher end ones look a lot better to more traditional eyes.

The elite looks fantastic and I’m intrigued by the bamboo. The high gloss ziricote is interesting but not my thing, and the fingerprints really jumped out in the video. The sparkle would look better on a solid body (I think they have it in a CA ubass) or for Taylor Swift songs.

Of course my opinion’s pretty irrelevant since none of these target a market I’m shopping in.

The sparkle would look better on a solid body (I think they have it in a CA ubass) or for Taylor Swift songs.

Wow I was totally thinking the same thing :eek: especially with her latest album it just vibes.

The ones with the composite back look like the flight ukes so I wonder if they will sound the same (similar to a fluke)?

Well, I read that Kala is now selling through Walmart.
This could only mean they don't give a damn about their dealers.
If I find out it's true, I'm DONE with KALA.
I Emailed them about it.....no reply.

I think they care about profit. The dealers are a means to an end. They sell through Amazon, too.

Our Aklot bamboos should be arriving soon.

I sent a message to the seller on eBay, just got a reply that tracking shows the Aklot was delivered Jan. 17, which I never received, but that had a different tracking number then I was given so I couldn't have known no matter what. This is the second time in a couple of weeks I was given an incorrect tracking number from China. Too bad many of these items are not available in US, what a pain having to deal with the incompetence of some of these dealers. Now I have to go through my post office and do some kind of search process, but they can be incompetent too.

Well yeah, sorta:

https://www.walmart.com/browse/kala/YnJhbmQ6S2FsYQieie

But Walmart seems to act as an sponsor or go-between like ebay and Reverb as all the Kala are listed by music dealers such as Sam Ash and others...

I sent a message to the seller on eBay, just got a reply that tracking shows the Aklot was delivered Jan. 17, which I never received, but that had a different tracking number then I was given so I couldn't have known no matter what. This is the second time in a couple of weeks I was given an incorrect tracking number from China. Too bad many of these items are not available in US, what a pain having to deal with the incompetence of some of these dealers. Now I have to go through my post office and do some kind of search process, but they can be incompetent too.

Somewhere in the Pacific Ocean is a container ship loaded with a thousand containers. One of those containers is full of Aklot ukuleles. One of them belongs to me, and someday it will arrive. If it doesn't, eBay/PayPal will give me a refund. I don't expect too much from tracking numbers from China.

As for Aklot itself, my Aklot acoustic/electric concert sounds great, and I expect the bamboo to be similar.

EDIT: I just emailed the seller and asked if he had any info. Although I'd like this uke, I'd be okay accepting a refund. I have a Cordoba bamboo concert - without a cutout.

Last edited:
Speaking to attention to detail, you too can have a Kala dolphin from walmart for $5,000, US.

Attachments

• walmartKalaDolphin.jpg
    walmartKalaDolphin.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 9
Speaking to attention to detail, you too can have a Kala dolphin from walmart for $5,000, US.

Yeah, I got one of them, and it was disappointing. I thought, "You get what you pay for." I guess not. :D

They do that as a place holder. If they run out of an item, they want to keep the listing available, so they put a ridiculous price on it. You'll see quite a bit of that online.

Interesting! I didn't know that's the reason. If it's just a matter of moving the decimal place two to the left when they have them in stock, maybe I can get the Kala Elite 3KOA Ukulele - Concert, UV Gloss that's listed for $2298.00 for $22.98 once it's in stock :)

Eeyuk!

Yeh... I agree. I won't throw Kala 'out with the bathwater' but they really slid down the list of recommend-ables!

Last edited:
Top Bottom