Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nice New Kalas

Quote Originally Posted by gochugogi View Post
    Well yeah, sorta:

https://www.walmart.com/browse/kala/YnJhbmQ6S2FsYQieie

But Walmart seems to act as an sponsor or go-between like ebay and Reverb as all the Kala are listed by music dealers such as Sam Ash and others...
    Yeah... Walmart and some of the other discount retailers do the "drop shipper" thing. I just ordered a new router from them and it was shipped directly for NetGear.
    ::: Romero Creations Replica Tenor ::: Fender Montecito Tenor Koa ::: KoAloha KSM-10 Pikake ::: Kanile'a Islander MAPG-4-C ::: Kanile'a K-2 Super Concert ::: Kala KA-SSTU-SMC-C ::: Ohana SK-50G ::: Enya Nova U Concert ::: Kala KA-ABP-CTG Bari :::

Kala makes some beautiful ukes. One of my favorites is the cedar-top with the slotted headstock. It comes in 4, 5, 6, and 8-string versions. The new ones with the colorful graphics - like Elvis - are novelty ukes. You've probably seen the series of Alvarez Grateful Dead ukes with colorful graphics. I'm sure lots of people will love owning them, and Kala is trying to appeal to a wide audience.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Quote Originally Posted by gochugogi View Post
    Well yeah, sorta:

https://www.walmart.com/browse/kala/YnJhbmQ6S2FsYQieie

But Walmart seems to act as an sponsor or go-between like ebay and Reverb as all the Kala are listed by music dealers such as Sam Ash and others...

Yes, and Wall-Mart, wanting to rival Amazon, is very willing to sell you a Rolex, too. I don't think this means much.
    ----------------------------------
    Mainland mahogany soprano
    Kala KA-SC
    Kala La Salle tenor

the Dominican Order: to praise, to bless, to preach

The ziricote ukes I've seen look just great, beautiful.

But at the end of the day, it's a high-quality veneer. . . so in these cases, I go by sound quality, and some would have decent sound, some less so. With laminates, things seem to vary.

The Kala Elite, though, are in a whole galaxy far, far away from that stuff: just superb in every respect. Underknown, under appreciated, and undervalued.
    ----------------------------------
    Mainland mahogany soprano
    Kala KA-SC
    Kala La Salle tenor

the Dominican Order: to praise, to bless, to preach

Quote Originally Posted by kohanmike View Post
    I sent a message to the seller on eBay, just got a reply that tracking shows the Aklot was delivered Jan. 17, which I never received, but that had a different tracking number then I was given so I couldn't have known no matter what. This is the second time in a couple of weeks I was given an incorrect tracking number from China. Too bad many of these items are not available in US, what a pain having to deal with the incompetence of some of these dealers. Now I have to go through my post office and do some kind of search process, but they can be incompetent too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    Somewhere in the Pacific Ocean is a container ship loaded with a thousand containers. One of those containers is full of Aklot ukuleles. One of them belongs to me, and someday it will arrive. If it doesn't, eBay/PayPal will give me a refund. I don't expect too much from tracking numbers from China. As for Aklot itself, my Aklot acoustic/electric concert sounds great, and I expect the bamboo to be similar. EDIT: I just emailed the seller and asked if he had any info. Although I'd like this uke, I'd be okay accepting a refund. I have a Cordoba bamboo concert - without a cutout.
    I discovered the tracking number my seller showed is for another item I did receive, when he checked the correct tracking number, he said he will have to ship another, which will take another 30 days or more. I probably should have ordered the Kala bamboo from a US dealer, but the cutaway version is only available direct from China.

Quote Originally Posted by kohanmike View Post
    I discovered the tracking number my seller showed is for another item I did receive, when he checked the correct tracking number, he said he will have to ship another, which will take another 30 days or more. I probably should have ordered the Kala bamboo from a US dealer, but the cutaway version is only available direct from China.
    When I sent a message through eBay, it always showed a picture of the uke without a cutout, but the one I ordered has the cutout. I have the Cordoba bamboo, so I'll be satisfied with that.

EDIT: I got a refund for my Aklot already.
    Last edited by Jerryc41; 02-06-2020 at 02:30 AM.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Cordoba used to have a bamboo uke which was discontinued a while ago. Now I see that Kala has one, Aklot too, and probably others (Luna?). I wonder if Cordoba lost the chance to dominate the bamboo (ecological? sustainable?) uke market, or did they know something that they decided to drop it?

I admit that I have one Cordoba soprano (with a useless cutaway) just for the wood novelty (I collect ukes of different "solid" wood)

Eugenio

I'm looking forward to the new Kala models that are of a higher end premier exotics with the comfort arm rest and graphtec tuners.
    K
    Sopranos, Concerts, and Tenors including Baritone body at a Tenor Scale - 4 String, 5 String and 8 String :-)
    For Sale: Seagull Nylon String
    For Sale: National Mahogany Resonator
    For Sale: Gold Tone Resonator

I think these ukes: (1) add fuel to the misconception that ukes are toys and not real musical instruments, and (b) cheapen the value & reputation of the "Kala" logo. It's like Mercedes bought out the Yugo company & sold Yugos as "entry level Mercedes." Goood grief!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    When I sent a message through eBay, it always showed a picture of the uke without a cutout, but the one I ordered has the cutout. I have the Cordoba bamboo, so I'll be satisfied with that. EDIT: I got a refund for my Aklot already.
    Just another reason why buying direct from China lately is hit and miss, I'm finding they do a poor job of communicating and showing proper details. They have a business model where individuals are middleman sellers but the product is sent by the distributor/manufacturer, so you don't know who is ultimately responsible. My seller sent a reply that they are sending another, but they haven't sent the tracking number yet.

Thread Information