Kala KA-SLNG... discontinued??!?

ukeinfused

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I was shocked and sad to see that this model is being discontinued. It's been a go-to for gifts and beginners.
Such a great looker, alotta bang for the buck.

Anyone know if there will be a replacement?

The Kala website says discontinued, so I guess it is true. They still have the KA-15SLNG (simpler model for a lower price) and KA-SSLNG (slightly more expensive with much better sound quality).

Yeah, I was a little disappointed too. That was what I started on. If it wasn't for YouTube and UU, I probably would have stuck with it. ;)

At least they're still selling long necks. I liked the style of the SLNG though - except those huge tuner buttons; I never understood why the concert model in the same line got smaller buttons.

My Kala SLNG was the first ukulele I bought when I started playing a few years ago. I’ve brought quite a few ukes home since then, but to to this day the SLNG is the only one that made my (non-musician) husband smile when he saw it. It’s such a cute little thing and lots of fun to play. Never thought it would become a collector’s item so soon...

Last edited:
The KA-SLNG was the uke I spent most of my learning time on, & I still think it's a great uke, even having bought lots more since its arrival, it still takes its turn when I grab up a uke. :)

At the time that I bought mine it cost £67, just £5 more than the KA-S. :music:

I can't say i am wholly upset by this. It's a uke they made a mistake with in my view - made the neck longer but still gave it a narrow 34mm nut...

I can't say i am wholly upset by this. It's a uke they made a mistake with in my view - made the neck longer but still gave it a narrow 34mm nut...

I guess it depends on the hand size of the player.

Do you know off-hand how that nut measurement compares to other inexpensive Kala instruments?

As a "ukulele fairy" (my spouse dubbed me), I would like to keep this in mind...

I guess it depends on the hand size of the player.

Do you know off-hand how that nut measurement compares to other inexpensive Kala instruments?

As a "ukulele fairy" (my spouse dubbed me), I would like to keep this in mind...

Same as their entry level sopranos at about 34mm.. whch is kind of my point. They put a concert neck on it but didn't make the nut any wider. Wasted opportunity.

Last edited:
I had one years ago. Gave it to a friend to see if she would take to the uke. She and her husband live far away now. I got the solid spruce last spring. Love it! I always come back to the long neck as my favorite size uke. :)

Can't speak for the newer ones, but my 2015 SLNG had a 35 mm nut and was quite nice. Bought from a big chain music store, but luckily, setup from Kala was good.

Same as their entry level sopranos at about 34mm.. whch is kind of my point. They put a concert neck on it but didn't make the nut any wider. Wasted opportunity.

That's much the same with my Ohana SK30M, unfortunately, just about 27mm over strings, could really do with a bit more, I agree, but they're both great little ukes.

Can't speak for the newer ones, but my 2015 SLNG had a 35 mm nut and was quite nice. Bought from a big chain music store, but luckily, setup from Kala was good.

I sold it on but I am as sure as I can be that my SLNG didn’t have a 34 mm nut/neck. My entry level Kala Sopranos have 35 mm nuts/necks.

Checked my notes again - I measuered the one I had with callipers at 34.6mm. Not 34mm, but equally not 35mm. But it's a bit academic - a width like that on a concert scale missed a trick for me to make it wider.

I am wondering if there is a particularly rare edition of this uke which would attract collectors once it is discontinued?
Oh, mine is the extreeeeeeeeeemly rare, 100% koa laminate top, back and sides with bridge beads for super easy string changes. I'll let it go for the very collectible price of $999. You won't find another at this price, I guarantee you.

Oh, mine is the extreeeeeeeeeemly rare, 100% koa laminate top, back and sides with bridge beads for super easy string changes. I'll let it go for the very collectible price of $999. You won't find another at this price, I guarantee you.

Jim, that sounds fair. After all, it is a K-brand, right?

Kala used to offer one long neck soprano of solid okoume Kala KA-SML-SLNG. I bought one here in UU over a year ago. I like those litlte ukes. I had the SLNG (laminate mahogany) but gave it to a friend that wanted to learn uke. Then bouth the SSLNG (solid spruce). I have never considered the koa laminate one.

Eugenio

Top Bottom