Brüko Walnut Soprano - REVIEW

bazmaz

Reaction score
Thanks for another great review! Regarding strings - I like D'Addario Titanium on my Brueko 2.

Nice review. I’d like to hear a video with different strings and also, have you play your model 6, side by side. Just curious the difference in sound. I do like the arched back!

Great looking woods. Agree totally with better friction tuner from the basic. I’d put UPT’s on the Uke if it were mine. Pegheds also really helped my fluke tenor once I ditched the poor friction tuners that came with it!

Don't own the Model 6 any more i'm afraid!

I like UPTs but can live with Grover 4 or 6 series - I think they are great.

You can always debate about looks. The Brukos are very traditional looking with not a lot of decoration. Personally, I find the stripy woodgrain beautiful. I like them.

But to call this uke overpriced? That is nonsense. A European hand-made solid wood instrument under 300€. You can barely get a Chinese made solid wood Kala with that price.

To me, it's a boring looking, over-priced ukulele with cheap tuners. But then -- each to their own taste & no offense intended.

Looks are subjective of course, and the tuners ARE cheap.

But 'over-priced' - what? For a small workshop built ukulele with this level of precise finishing, that is NOT made in China? I'd beg to differ!

Nice review...makes me want to check out the Bruko! As for Bruko tenors being the size of concerts and having 12 frets to the body...the same thing goes for the Romanian made Hora tenor, also a pretty good ukulele.

I hear that - must check one out.

Big fan of Hubert's work with Bruko though!

I actually ordered the Brüko classic soprano because of this review. It didn't cost nearly as much as the one reviewed here but it's not like I needed another soprano. Thanks Baz...

:D

Last edited:
This is one brand I've never had my hands on, but would like to try someday. I love the looks of this one and the sound is nice too in the video.

Yeah - their classics have always been priced really fairly to get people on board. I wouldn't be surprised if they made minimal profit on those and work on volume. Nice brand.

I’ve regretted selling every Bruko I’ve ever sold. I’m down to “only” 1 Bruko. Love em and their quirkinesses

So I acquired my Brüko classic soprano. Wonderful instrument. I did notice, however, that the Pyramid carbon strings it came with most probably are supposed to be tuned to D tuning instead of C. Searching for info on them on the internet seems to suggest the same. So if they feel floppy in C tuning, I'd suggest trying to tune them a step higher.

That said, while they don't feel that floppy and sound ok tuned to D, they certainly aren't the best fluorocarbons I've used. I'll have to try them a bit more but I might change them to something like Worth clears.

Let me just add real quick that, while I was a little apprehensive of ordering the classic because I didn't (and still don't) like the look of the light coloured maple neck, I have to say that it is extremely comfortable. I am truly amazed how playable this uke is. Particularly when I consider the cost which was way under 200€. Magnificent.

Last edited:
So I acquired my Brüko classic soprano. Wonderful instrument. I did notice, however, that the Pyramid carbon strings it came with most probably are supposed to be tuned to D tuning instead of C. Searching for info on them on the internet seems to suggest the same. So if they feel floppy in C tuning, I'd suggest trying to tune them a step higher.

That said, while they don't feel that floppy and sound ok tuned to D, they certainly aren't the best fluorocarbons I've used. I'll have to try them a bit more but I might change them to something like Worth clears.

you know - that may well probably be the case - D tuning is really popular in parts of Europe so stands to reason.

Yes I bought a set of those pyramid strings once and can confirm the envelopes the strings come in are marked A, D, Fis and H (or something like that, basically ADF#B, but the way they label those notes in West Germany*). I'll never buy Pyramid strings again - they're just way too thick for my liking.

* or anywhere else in Germany I presume.

I'd suggest that I would try mine again in D tuning - but... already swapped them to Martin Fluoro's for C tuning.

Yes I bought a set of those pyramid strings once and can confirm the envelopes the strings come in are marked A, D, Fis and H (or something like that, basically ADF#B, but the way they label those notes in West Germany*). I'll never buy Pyramid strings again - they're just way too thick for my liking.

* or anywhere else in Germany I presume.

Yes, Fis for F# and H for B is German notation for notes and used in many other European countries as well.

And I agree about the strings being too thick. A real shame. I've been looking for fluorocarbon strings in D tuning but the Pyramids do not feel good at all. I have a few sets of GHS fluoros in D tuning arriving soon but those are the only other ones I've been able to find so far.

Top Bottom