are tuner holes drilled uniformly on a lot of ukes?

captain-janeway

Reaction score
Just have a cheap Kala 15S with these tuners:

https://www.amazon.com/BQLZR-Tuning-Machine-Ukulele-creamy-white/dp/B00EQ23YFQ/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=ukulele+tuner+pegs&qid=1580581501&sr=8-4

and want to swap to these:

https://www.amazon.com/Majowir-Ukulele-ukulele-machines-Slivery/dp/B07PP15WJW/ref=sr_1_8?crid=9YMOJ1BRV483&keywords=ukulele+tuner+pegs&qid=1580581538&sprefix=%2Caps%2C232&sr=8-8

The uke goes out of tune really easily and one of the tuners does seem to wiggle a little.
I don't want to buy another uke right now, but just want something to learn with this size better.
I want to swap to these tuners and wondered if the headstock holes are fairly uniform so I can swap them and not have them wiggle in the holes.
Anyone see a problem with this? Yes, I see that the screws to hold the back of the tuner won't match the old ones so I'll have extra holes. Don't care, it was that cheap. If I like the size, I'll invest in a better one. I have two nice ones in a different size so I understand that a better quality instrument will make you want to play more.
Thanks.

If your uke is going out of tune with those tuners, unless they are physically broken, it WON'T be the tuner at fault - more likely the strings still stretching or the knots at either end not being correct. There is no way uke strings can create enough tension to reverse the action of that kind of transverse gear ratio by pulling on the peg.

If your uke is going out of tune with those tuners, unless they are physically broken, it WON'T be the tuner at fault - more likely the strings still stretching or the knots at either end not being correct. There is no way uke strings can create enough tension to reverse the action of that kind of transverse gear ratio by pulling on the peg.

Thanks. It does seem to be mostly one string on the wobbly tuner. They are fairly new strings (put on a new set of Oasis with low g) but figured after weeks they'd be stretched out enough. I'll relook at the string on the tuner. Maybe I just didn't get enough wrap on it and it's slipping a little
thanks again.

Thanks. It does seem to be mostly one string on the wobbly tuner. They are fairly new strings (put on a new set of Oasis with low g) but figured after weeks they'd be stretched out enough. I'll relook at the string on the tuner. Maybe I just didn't get enough wrap on it and it's slipping a little
thanks again.

If you take lots and lots of wraps on the tuner, it will take a long time to settle in.
Put it through the hole with a fair amount of tension. Coming up to pitch will probably put 2 or 3 wraps on, which is plenty.

Top Bottom