18 month olds are jerks

It's a clean separation, and looks easy to fix...the big question will be what kind of glue to use. I don't think there is a need for a replacement ukulele...but if they wanted to send you some glue, that wouldn't be bad.

I'll keep y'all posted on what OU says. I really just want some tips on glues etc from them. I'm a little disappointed since it is under 6 years old and it was a fall less than 2 feet onto a soft floor but eh, with kids it is what it is.

I wouldn't have thought of using tape vs clamps and I feel like I could get a more even hold that way to so thanks everyone for the tips!!

Finally, I hope y'all know I was only teasing that my kid is a jerk. I mean he is, but appropriately so. He's pretty darn cute as is his 3 year old sister and I'm a teacher so I KNOW what I have coming. And by "know" I mean you think you have it all together as a teacher and nothing can stump you then your kid throws you for a loop. Every. Damn. Time. (sigh)

Seriously, thank you all for the ideas. I'll show my girl when she's all patched up!

My Mom would always tell me and my brother that two half wits don’t make a whole wit.

It was an accident waiting to happen.

There is no way it should separate like it has, it is a manufacturing defect.

Epoxy or white pva is probably the wrong type of glues if it is plastic to plastic, you will more than likely need a solvent based glue.

The manufacturer should repair it for you or at least advise on what glue to use.

Well they just responded.

"Loosen the strings.
Tape or clamp the parts back together.
Apply the super glue with the needle tip in the gap between the parts. A very thin super glue will actually wick into the joint. Be sure to stop if you begin to see the glue stop wicking. It doesn’t take very much. Let it cure 24 hours." Fingers crossed I don't end up glued to the ukulele. Super glue and I don't have a great track record.

To avoid super glue disasters keep a bowl of warm water and some acetone handy. If you get the super glue (CA) on your fingers dip 'em in the warm water to loosen it. If you stick yourself to the uke the acetone'll help release. The warm water's better for your skin than acetone, but slower and harder to apply if you're stuck to the uke. [Update: keep the acetone away from a plastic uke]

My favorite site to figure out what type of glue to use is This-To-That. Their general recommendation for rigid plastics is a 2-part epoxy, with the major caveat that there are lots of different types of plastics with different properties.

Whatever you use, make sure the ends are clean and grease and oil free. CA needs something to grip to so you may need to rough up the surface a bit before mating.

Last edited:
Oh so true. Small kids small problems, big kids BIG problems. When they are teenagers you will wish things were as simple as a busted ukulele.

No one, I mean no one, with big kids, should be without an attorney.

Well they just responded.

"Loosen the strings.
Tape or clamp the parts back together.
Apply the super glue with the needle tip in the gap between the parts. A very thin super glue will actually wick into the joint. Be sure to stop if you begin to see the glue stop wicking. It doesn’t take very much. Let it cure 24 hours." Fingers crossed I don't end up glued to the ukulele. Super glue and I don't have a great track record.

I’m with Col50 on this:

“It was an accident waiting to happen.

There is no way it should separate like it has, it is a manufacturing defect.”

In my estimation OU’s response is poor in terms of customer care and that’s a pity because it damages their otherwise excellent name. Yes, their response does tell you how the problem might be solved by you (rather than them) but in my view it does not stand behind their product - a product which I believe is sold as robust and go anywhere. QA failures happen to even the best of manufactures and shops but IMHO how they respond when things go wrong is one of the things that distinguishes them from their competitors.

To be fair to OU they have a lot of satisfied customers out there, reporting of faults here is very rare and for many folk the OU has lived up to all expectations. From the manufactures perspective not all customer complaints are reasonable (I think yours is reasonable) and treating complaints with caution is appropriate; each complaint will have its own particular details and they’ll need to be established. However, like I said above, QA failures happen to even the best and good responses are important.

Last edited:
Keep a bowl of warm water and some acetone handy. If you get the super glue (CA) on your fingers dip 'em in the warm water to loosen it. If you stick yourself to the uke the acetone'll help release. The warm water's better for your skin than acetone, but slower and harder to apply if you're stuck to the uke.

FYI:
Not sure what specific plastic your OU model is made out of, but it is worth noting that acetone is very good at dissolving, clouding, or otherwise damaging certain types of plastic.

According to this polycarbonate compatibility chart, acetone has a "Severe Effect" on polycarbonate materials.

If I were you, I would avoid using acetone anywhere near a polycarbonate ukulele.

it is worth noting that acetone is very good at dissolving, clouding, or otherwise damaging certain types of plastic.
Good point. Stick with the warm water around plastics.

FYI:
Not sure what specific plastic your OU model is made out of, but it is worth noting that acetone is very good at dissolving, clouding, or otherwise damaging certain types of plastic.

According to this polycarbonate compatibility chart, acetone has a "Severe Effect" on polycarbonate materials.

If I were you, I would avoid using acetone anywhere near a polycarbonate ukulele.

Good to note. Plus side is that saves me a trip to buy acetone.

Tomorrow is the big day, fingers crossed!

Well, step one complete. Now to wait 24 hours to see if it worked! I managed not to glue myself to the ukulele. . .just one of the clamps. Ooops.

I used Starbond EM-02 Super Fast Thin. I put the tension back on last night and it seems to be holding up.
Good deal. Here's to hoping you get many more years out of it. If I recall correctly you said you'd had it less than 6 years? So how many? 5 maybe? Considering the price, it seems like the investment has already paid for itself even if it wasn't fixable...Glad it was though.

Last edited:
Good deal. Here's to hoping you get many more years out of it. If I recall correctly you said you'd had it less than 6 years? So how many? 5 maybe? Considering the price, it seems like the investment has already paid for itself even if it wasn't fixable...Glad it was though.

According to their website they have only existed for 6. I think they were a kickstarter first. My branded headstock is way cooler than the current but I have fussy friction tuners. Honestly curious, do you consider 5 years of use a reasonable amount of time for an instrument? I have played many in my day but rarely held interest for longer than a year or two so I couldn't say. (flute, viola, piano, guitar, guitar again. . .ukulele <3 )

According to their website they have only existed for 6. I think they were a kickstarter first. My branded headstock is way cooler than the current but I have fussy friction tuners. Honestly curious, do you consider 5 years of use a reasonable amount of time for an instrument? I have played many in my day but rarely held interest for longer than a year or two so I couldn't say. (flute, viola, piano, guitar, guitar again. . .ukulele <3 )

Friction tuners? You must have one of the early versions then...I know the very first version was black with a square neck. Honestly, I tried that one and didn't like it at all. Some like them though I know...but most agree the newer version is much better. I don't have one currently, but have owned and really liked them in both soprano and concert.
I think they sold for $95 back then if I'm remembering correctly. I would say 5 years of use for a $100 uke is getting great mileage, so to speak....I mean we're talking $20 a year...
Now if it were a more expensive instrument I'd want to get more out of it, but that would require maintenance too. I guess I see the OU's more as a use it and then if it breaks or wears beyond use it's just done. Except in your case it was just a re-glue and fixable. If the frets ever wore out, it's a goner. That kind of maintenance can't be done on these.
I also play and have played lots of different instruments, but never held onto any of them that long after the internet, eBay, etc. as I got more into a buying, selling, trading type mode. That has slowed down for me the past couple of years though.

I just looked at their website for the first time in a while and noticed they'd increased prices again. Maybe that started after the first of the year..not sure..Interesting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom