18 month olds are jerks

juliaann

Reaction score
My son just dropped my outdoor uke from the couch and this happened outdooruke.jpg Well out of warranty. Any ideas on a fix?

Even though it’s out of warrantee contact Outdoor and see what they recommend.

Can’t see too clearly, but if that’s a clean separation at the joint you should be able to clean it off, add epoxy, and clamp it till it cures. Should be pretty straightforward and easier than selling the kid to fund a replacement ;)

Loosen the strings also! If you ever wanted to paint the inside to give it a tint, now seems like a good time!

Duct tape? :rofl:

And if you think 18 month olds are jerks, u ain't seen nuthin yet :biglaugh:

:agree:

Super glue.......

Likely not an uke built yet that can withstand the efforts of an 18month old to have some fun with it......

But you should have seen when my 4 year old got his first violin and how he cared for it......

A lot of growth in short amount of time......

Last edited:
I did email them waiting to hear back. It is just a super clean separation. Hubby wanted to do the epoxy and clamp so sounds like that is a winner but I wouldn't trust his opinion alone. He can fix bikes well, instruments remains to be seen. ;)

Loosen the strings also! If you ever wanted to paint the inside to give it a tint, now seems like a good time!

Strings are loosened! I only tightened them back for the picture. I always thought it could use some lights inside. . .

Duct tape? :rofl:

And if you think 18 month olds are jerks, u ain't seen nuthin yet :biglaugh:

Oh so true. Small kids small problems, big kids BIG problems. When they are teenagers you will wish things were as simple as a busted ukulele.

Strings are loosened! I only tightened them back for the picture. I always thought it could use some lights inside. . .

Now’s a good time to put a little notch along one end (the part that does not touch your strumming arm) and run a string along the back side of your uke. We did and ran a strip along the crown molding around The ceiling of my daughters’s rooms.

it attaches with double sided tape. You could run it along the back of your uke. Then you can control the colors. Feel like blue? Or green? Or purple? The line that attaches to a plug to change colors detaches so you can just go unplugged. When you want lights plug it into the battery pack. How fun!

Battery Powered Led Strip Lights 17-Key Remote Controlled RGB Dmeixs Led Lights Strip Color Changing 2 Pack 6.56ft Waterproof Strip Lights Battery Operated Led Strip Kit Indoor and Outdoor Decoration https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VKLNT3H/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_dZHnEbTGXJJ9T

51kD6BGaXeL.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Weld-Acrylic...ords=polycarbonate+glue&qid=1580606182&sr=8-3

They'll tell you to clean it and re-glue it, as stated above. They may tell you the exact product they use... I'm not saying the above recommended won't work though.

Last edited:
Been there. It's just a ukulele. Don't worry about it, you can glue it back together. Or get another one, they're replaceable.

Clamping it together while glue dries has been suggested. Very possible you don’t have the right clamp.
In that situation I’ve used blue, low adhesive tape. Also called painters tape. Put the tape on with a bit of length to make up for the low grip and pull it tight.

Of course you have to take the finish into account and maybe test it for damage (not a problem here) but the light adhesive is held in place with a bit of extra length and lifts off easily. It’s made to be used in situations where tape is needed but needs to leave no residue or harm.

Definitely pull the strings off now. Find out what it is made of and what adhesive works. The manufacturer hopefully will help. The right adhesive and clamp or tape should get you back playing with a good story to tell.

I did email them waiting to hear back. It is just a super clean separation. Hubby wanted to do the epoxy and clamp so sounds like that is a winner but I wouldn't trust his opinion alone. He can fix bikes well, instruments remains to be seen. ;)

Given that Outdoor Ukes are supposed to be for outdoor use (ie rugged) I’d be asking the Company to stand behind their product and jolly surprised if they didn’t. I’d also be suggesting to them that the joint wasn’t as strong as they would have expected (ie quality assurance failure) and hence it would be reasonable for them to pay shipping. Perhaps I’m being a bit hard nosed but OU’s are sold on being able to take some knocks. OU might suggest that you do the work yourself, I don’t think that that is the way to treat customers and don’t see why should should risk doing further damage.

As for kids, well the only thing harder than being a parent is being a kid. Enjoy your child, forget the upsets and work with them towards a happy future ... it ain’t easy but it is worthwhile.

Last edited:
Given that Outdoor Ukes are supposed to be for outdoor use (ie rugged) I’d be asking the Company to stand behind their product and jolly surprised if they didn’t. I’d also be suggesting to them that the joint wasn’t as strong as they would have expected (ie quality assurance failure) and hence it would be reasonable for them to pay shipping. Perhaps I’m being a bit hard nosed but OU’s are sold on being able to take some knocks. OU might suggest that you do the work yourself, I don’t think that that is the way to treat customers and don’t see why should should risk doing further damage.

As for kids, well the only thing harder than being a parent is being a kid. Enjoy your child, forget the upsets and work with them towards a happy future ... it ain’t easy but it is worthwhile.

Good points Graham. Maybe Outdoor Ukes will stand behind it. Kids are kids. Most of them don't destroy your stuff to be jerks, that's just what kids do. I raised two of them. Now I have grand kids picking up where their parents left off. The ukulele won't be the last thing of yours that your kids destroy for you.

Last edited:
Clamping it together while glue dries has been suggested. Very possible you don’t have the right clamp.
In that situation I’ve used blue, low adhesive tape. Also called painters tape. Put the tape on with a bit of length to make up for the low grip and pull it tight.

Of course you have to take the finish into account and maybe test it for damage (not a problem here) but the light adhesive is held in place with a bit of extra length and lifts off easily. It’s made to be used in situations where tape is needed but needs to leave no residue or harm.
Yes, this. Painter's tape does work well. Also, I think even when they're making them at their shop they use large rubber bands for clamping. If it were me, I'd use both...but I like to go above and beyond what is necessary with things like that. Of course you don't have to worry about the finish on these as there is no finish...it's just the polycarbonate material.

As for some of the other comments...I don't think the company has any liability here at all. I wouldn't personally expect them to pay for anything.
Just be thankful it wasn't a wooden uke. If it had been a wooden uke, you could be looking at a lot more damage and a cost to fix that would far exceed the cost of the uke even, unless it was a super expensive uke. On top of that, trying to find someone skilled enough to do the work.

When they are babies you could just eat them. When they are teenages you wish you had :D

Top Bottom