Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 18 month olds are jerks

It's a clean separation, and looks easy to fix...the big question will be what kind of glue to use. I don't think there is a need for a replacement ukulele...but if they wanted to send you some glue, that wouldn't be bad.
    My ukulele blog: http://ukestuff.info

My ukulele YouTube channels:

I'll keep y'all posted on what OU says. I really just want some tips on glues etc from them. I'm a little disappointed since it is under 6 years old and it was a fall less than 2 feet onto a soft floor but eh, with kids it is what it is.

I wouldn't have thought of using tape vs clamps and I feel like I could get a more even hold that way to so thanks everyone for the tips!!

Finally, I hope y'all know I was only teasing that my kid is a jerk. I mean he is, but appropriately so. He's pretty darn cute as is his 3 year old sister and I'm a teacher so I KNOW what I have coming. And by "know" I mean you think you have it all together as a teacher and nothing can stump you then your kid throws you for a loop. Every. Damn. Time. (sigh)

Seriously, thank you all for the ideas. I'll show my girl when she's all patched up!

My Mom would always tell me and my brother that two half wits don’t make a whole wit.

Quote Originally Posted by DPO View Post
    When they are babies you could just eat them.
    Well, that's "A Modest Proposal."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Modest_Proposal
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

It was an accident waiting to happen.

There is no way it should separate like it has, it is a manufacturing defect.

Epoxy or white pva is probably the wrong type of glues if it is plastic to plastic, you will more than likely need a solvent based glue.

The manufacturer should repair it for you or at least advise on what glue to use.
    Col.
    From the UK with a bad case of MIAS.
    Korg PA700, Korg Kross 2, Gibson LP, Fender Jazz Bass,
    + Amps, PA, Boss GT100, mixer.
    Ukes - Kala KA-TEME and Risa ST electric solid body.
    Uke wish list, a Bass, make and model yet to be determined

Well they just responded.

"Loosen the strings.
    Tape or clamp the parts back together.
    Apply the super glue with the needle tip in the gap between the parts. A very thin super glue will actually wick into the joint. Be sure to stop if you begin to see the glue stop wicking. It doesn’t take very much. Let it cure 24 hours." Fingers crossed I don't end up glued to the ukulele. Super glue and I don't have a great track record.

To avoid super glue disasters keep a bowl of warm water and some acetone handy. If you get the super glue (CA) on your fingers dip 'em in the warm water to loosen it. If you stick yourself to the uke the acetone'll help release. The warm water's better for your skin than acetone, but slower and harder to apply if you're stuck to the uke. [Update: keep the acetone away from a plastic uke]

My favorite site to figure out what type of glue to use is This-To-That. Their general recommendation for rigid plastics is a 2-part epoxy, with the major caveat that there are lots of different types of plastics with different properties.

Whatever you use, make sure the ends are clean and grease and oil free. CA needs something to grip to so you may need to rough up the surface a bit before mating.
    Last edited by Arcy; 02-04-2020 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    Oh so true. Small kids small problems, big kids BIG problems. When they are teenagers you will wish things were as simple as a busted ukulele.
    No one, I mean no one, with big kids, should be without an attorney.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Quote Originally Posted by DPO View Post
    When they are babies you could just eat them. When they are teenagers you wish you had
    Amen, brother, amen!
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Loctite 406 is what works for me:

https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Insta...31901195&psc=1

Thread Information