Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 416: Fire and Rain

I know I did this one twice before - but that is more than 3 years ago so i doesn't count :-)
    I wanted to give it a go with the improved microphone since 3 years ago..

Ohana SK30M mahogany super-soprano, Cort UKEBWCOP Blackwood concert, Anuenue African Mahogany Tenor, Fluke Koa Tenor, Hora M1176 spruce Tenor

A third and last one from me. I have tried, without success, to find out what the lyrics of this song mean - it has been variously attributed to a conversation with God or to Bob Dylan's motorcycle accident, which occurred just before the song was written. I will remember it best though, as the theme tune for the wonderful "Absolutely Fabulous".

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." George Bernard Shaw

"Just remember, if we get caught ... you're deaf and I don't speak English."

So, a spooky thing happened last Sunday afternoon. I had an idea for a song that Kevin (Mezcalero) and I could collaborate on for this week’s theme. I promptly wrote a quick email to him, and within a few seconds of hitting the send button I received an email. It was from Kevin - suggesting exactly the same song to collaborate on! I was somewhat dumbfounded!

So anyway, here it is. Once again Kevin’s vocals and uke playing are fab - worth listening to with headphones if you get the chance!

Thanks again for all your hard work here Kev!

My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzx...Pezq1Qh7YLL5Ew

My 'Yazuke' collaborations with bird's eye view of my ukulele: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...21bONWOlsIWLZc

My 'Griffs' collaborations with Mezcalero: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...phaZNPwJIIfBHm

I finally got one done.

thanks for watching,
    Last edited by cua94; 02-06-2020 at 11:39 AM.
    Liz

Ohana Tenor TK50 MG - solid cedar top
    Red Soprano Mahalo
    Kala Waterman
    Green Kala KA-CEM Exotic Mahogany Concert (Low G)
    Purple Bugsgear Soprano
    Tan Bruko Soprano

thank you for this week, Emma and Jas
    this, a Martin Sexton song from his Wonderbar LP
    the pictures in the clip were taken at Bruny Island, Tasmania

Rain, by the Beatles. I really don't know many Beatles tunes, but decided to try learning this one last night, just an easy thumb strum. That's the beauty of the Seasons (at least for me), I seek out and find new songs that I otherwise wouldn't. Nice to add them to my song list, and have available when someone makes a request. Last year, I played in a 5th grade classroom, for a bunch of new uke students. I couldn't believe it when one of them requested a Beatles song! I didn't have any That won't happen again!

Edit: I added a new, plugged-in version, as after a few listens, I found the original rather wimpy and lackluster.

Last edited by Ukecaster; 02-08-2020 at 07:59 AM.
    John

Default Beds Are Burning - Midnight Oil (Tck Tck Tck climate change lyrics version)

I miss you people! I decided Sunday morning I need to come back here. It keeps me playing, and learning a new song every week.

This is the first song I thought of for this theme. We used to listen to the Oils all the time when I lived in Sydney in the early '90's.

The original isn't really about fire, it's a cry for returning Aboriginal people to the land the white government kicked them off of.

I thought about maybe tweaking the lyrics to be about the current Australian climate tragedy, but discovered there's already a version from 10 years ago about climate change. It's from a We Are the World sort of video, widely panned, but I kind of like it. Anyway it fits this theme perfectly.

Sorry about the wonky sound - after shooting probably 100 videos with this one, I discovered today it's time to buy a new phone.

Last edited by UkeCan1; 02-07-2020 at 04:02 PM.
    Wendy -- UkeCan1 of Uke Can Play Too!
    YouTube:
    Uke Can 1 | Uke On! Band | Uke Can Play Too! | The Prosperous Artist
    Facebook: Uke On! Band | Uke Can Play Too! | The Prosperous Artist Revolution

Ukes:
    Tiki Uki = soprano Tiki Flea, Epi Leadshredder = Les Paul Epiphone concert
    Pocky = Kala Pocket Uke sopranissimo, Chili = Mainland soprano Chili Pepper Uke
    Minnie (hot pink, "Happy to Be Me!), Mickey (bright blue), and Sophia (lavender) First Act "mini guitars"

If you're a Seasonista, come join the Seasonista Facebook group! (PM me)
    If you're not (YET!), come play with us in the Seasons of the Ukulele ... it's easy and fun

Season of the Ukulele #416 is songs about Fire and/or Rain. "Feels Like Rain" was written by John Hiatt, and also covered by Buddy Guy and Aaron Neville. I hesitated to cover it because John's version is so soulful and tasty, and it's hard to imagine getting even close to that - but eventually I did it anyway because, well, I wanted to, and, also, our fair city of Seattle just tied the January record for most rainy days. It has *definitely* felt like rain around here.

We once saw John Hiatt play this song in a concert with Lyle Lovett. Lyle asked John, "Do you always feel amorous when it rains?" I don't remember John's answer, apart from him cracking up...

PS, I think I said "Season 415" in the video... Ooops.

Hello!
    I've bitten the bullet and taken my first tentative step into the world of SOTU.
    I decided to go with Burn by Deep Purple...

Cheers, Bob.

Welcome aboard Bob! Glad to have you.

I spared you all the bumble bee leotard...

Thanks for hosting Emma and Jas.
    Andy

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"
    ~A.W.E. O'Shaughnessy

Thread Information