Season 416: Fire and Rain

A potted history of the latter half of the 20th century which is a real tongue twister.

My first contribution to this season is a fun little "calypso" song about how humankind probably discovered cooking. Stay till the end for a bit of caveman rant.

Backing by Band in a Box

Hope you enjoy:

If you tried to listen to my song above already, apologies. The new way of posting at you tube has foxed me before. Why do they make things that were simple so complicated? Whatever happened to "if it ain't broke, don't fix it?"

You should be able to see my video now.

Ahoy good people.
I found a fire song. Here is Lake of Fire by Meat Puppets (covered by Nirvana during their Unplugged in New York concert)

I just found out that this Fairport Convention song I've been listening to for a couple of decades was a Joni Mitchell cover. So I'm covering the Fairport cover.

Thanks again for hosting Emma and Jas! Some great stuff coming in. Was inspired by Rusty's version of this one, and made a chart and recorded it. It's a bit rough, but with feeling! Cheers . . .

Hello again, Emma and Jasmine ... a second one from me. My apologies for such self-indulgent idiocy, which I ascribe to the unbridled relief at having been released from three days of Internet purdah ... oh, the joy!

The sad part is that this may be the finale from my week of hanging out with Jon Duncan at his lovely Sandy Bay home... Tomorrow, it's off to Melbourne for the first leg of the journey back to Myanmar.

The song is about flames and burning, and there's even a line about rain in here...

Nothing for a year or more, then two in two days. As Marvin Gaye said "What's Going On?".

This one is a favourite of mine, recorded by Ann Peebles, and Lowell George et. al.

Greetings from Germany, it is sunny and warm today, but nevertheless I like this song about rain.

Second and probably last from me this week. It is called "Fire & Rain" - but it's my own song, not JT's classic.

It's a little swamp rocker with an almost inaudible Tenor Uke (no time to redo the mix. Sounded fine on headphones, but not on speakers :( ) and a dominant Cigar Box Guitar tuned in Open G

Hope you like:

A Kimya Dawson song called Fire.

We are away for a week in a seaside cottage with a log fire, but not much internet. Managed to get this one uploaded, an Elvis Costello song which I am sure I have done here before.

An original song I wrote last summer. Thunderstorms are usually accompanied by heavy rain - at least they are here in the UK and this one is.

Lyrics & Chords

Thunderstorm
Words & Music: Geoff Walker

Intro
[D C G C D]

The [D]summer sun is [C]beating down
It's [G]hot and [C]getting [D]hotter
[D]Not a cloud up [C]in the sky
It's [G]heavy, [C]sultry [D]weather

A [D]little cloud high [C]in the sky
Quickly [G]builds up [C]to the [D]ceiling
[D]Now it's dark and [C]still and clear
A [G]mighty [C]crash sends us [D]reeling

Chorus
[F]Lightning flashing, [C]thunder crashing
[G]Wind howling, [C]rain lashing
[D]Nature’s mighty [C]power unleashed
A [G]thunder[C]storm is an awesome [D]beast

Now there comes a mighty deluge
With rain like stair rods falling.
Jagged flashes light up the sky
Thunder crashes and the wind’s howling
Chorus

Now the thunder starts to retreat
Bringing promise of brighter morning
With a distant rumble it passes on
A fresher day is dawning
Chorus

Outro
[D C G C D]

Regendropfen (Raindrops) is a German tango from year 1935. My version is not very "tango":

Top Bottom