Thoughts on Tiki bars

raffrox

Reaction score
Hi all,

Given the origins of the ukulele and knowing that there are people who are from and live in the pacific islands on the boards I thought I would post this here. I mean no offence and don't mean to start anything either. Just wondering peoples thoughts on tiki bars and tiki culture? I know that it is not an accurate reflection of pacific islander cultures (which are numerous) and that in the past it's been a reflection of less culturally aware times.

These days it has had a resurgence and people are focusing more on the mid-century revival element of it but I know that it can still be done badly. I've done a lot of reading and it's a bit confusing.

My wife and I are looking to put in a tiki bar at our house. It's less about trying to re-create a culture or cultures as that wouldn't be respectful from our point of view. We've been to Fiji for our honeymoon and loved the vibe and want to have some fun creating a nice environment at home.

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are and how it can be done respectfully and any words on what to avoid.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Chuck Moore has recently posted photos of a uke he has made with a Tiki logo in the headstock.

This is his irresistible invitation:
"Get out your party fez and mix up some mai tais, it's Tiki Time!"

A good excuse for a trip to Canefire distillery in the Swan Valley to stock up on some white rum for the Mai Tais. And a visit to the Gin Tonica Festival at Market Grounds restaurant in Perth to get some Gin for the G&Ts.

As well as displaying treasures from trips into the South Seas.

Thanks for posting Bill. Chuck is a pretty good guy to take the lead from :)

I've not been to the Canefire Distillery. Might be worth a trip by the sounds of it!

I don't think most folks from Hawaii give a hoot about the possible cultural insensitivity of Tiki bars. Why? It's a Hollywood invention popularized by Californian Don the Beach Comber. It's pure tourist culture and is as Hawaiian as Taco Bell is Mexican or French fries are French... So, yeah, let her rip! Drink those florescent fruit incrusted cocktails on rattan chairs and wear florescent Cali "Aloha" shirts as you slowly get pounded against a spotlit mural sunset. Enjoy!

I don't think most folks from Hawaii give a hoot about the possible cultural insensitivity of Tiki bars. Why? It's a Hollywood invention popularized by Californian Don the Beach Comber. It's pure tourist culture and is as Hawaiian as Taco Bell is Mexican or French fries are French... So, yeah, let her rip! Drink those florescent fruit incrusted cocktails on rattan chairs and wear florescent Cali "Aloha" shirts as you slowly get pounded against a spotlit mural sunset. Enjoy!

You are oh so right.

As a Brit who has been all over the Hawaiian Isles on two different vacations the only place I saw anything like the Op seeks was in the tourist locations and hotel bars.

It seems that for American tourists plastic, unreal entertainment venues with everything on a plate is the norm (no offence intended).

Thanks Peter and Col. It's the cheesiness/tackiness of tiki that my wife and I are attracted to. We've got quite a bit of mid-century furniture etc so it's really a bit of fun and escapism.

I know it's nothing like the real thing and that's part of the appeal.

When we travel though we prefer to experience the real culture of a place as best we can though so that's why I thought I'd ask.

I'm in the midwest, so take what I say with a grain of salt. My guess is that cognoscent Hawaiians know the whole Tiki thing was a tourism come-on and that Hawaii profited from this image. They likely just don't give a hoot. Me, I love the tiki god images, kind of Hanna Barbara in a way, the Hawaiian shirts, the whole, "get relaxed, young man, and learn to be more mellow atmosphere.

That said, I don't drink fancy mixed drinks like that.

There are Tiki bars all over this place. Some commercial, some private. A lot of restaurants are designed Tiki style, with dirty, noisy, annoying outdoor "Atmosphere", and bar food.
My advice?
Keep the noise down to a dull roar, unless you don't have any neighbors.
Send us pics!

Top Bottom