NBD: Fanner custom 23" scale Gibson SG EB-0 style.

KohanMike

Los Angeles, Beverly Grove West
UU VIP
Reaction score
I finally received the custom mini bass I ordered from Fanner Guitar Works in South Africa. I initiated the order in April 2019 and was supposed to take about 2 months, but Brian kept running into problems, so it ended up taking 8 months including shipping. It was $800 including $100 for shipping.

It came out pretty well, but I do have a couple of regrets. I was referred to his Etsy site by a post either here or on the Talk Bass forum. When I looked through his gallery, I saw that had a 23" scale solid body bass uke, so I asked if he could make that like a Gibson SG. He said yes, so I sent him a photo of a Gibson SG EB-0, but I didn't specify all the details, like the size of the body or the nut width, two things that came out a bit smaller than I'm used to, though I can live with it. He also included light round wound bass strings, which don't tune down to normal bass, they are actually piccolo octave, so I'm going to replace them with La Bella Deep Talkin' flatwound.

He suggested using African mahogany, and I asked that he include a matching thumb rest. Now I'm debating if I'm going to add fret markers stickers that compliment the style of the SG horns.

Fanner SG EB-0 mine 900.jpg

Fanner SG EB-0 mine 900.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, looks nice! Looks in proportion to me, what's the nut width?

Ooooh, that looks sweet! I couldn't deal with piccolo strings either. I'd love to hear it once you get the flats on. How's the quality on the pickup and electronics?

Wow, looks nice! Looks in proportion to me, what's the nut width?
The nut is 1 7/16" but I prefer 1 5/8" to not feel too cramped.
Ooooh, that looks sweet! I couldn't deal with piccolo strings either. I'd love to hear it once you get the flats on. How's the quality on the pickup and electronics?
I might have to add string through near the tail to fit the 25" long Gold Tone/La Bella. The La Bella nylon coated that I was planning to cut down do not fit, the wrap crosses over the saddle.

Brian made a custom pickup to be in proportion. It sits in a wood frame inserted in the body, very nicely done. I used it for rehearsal today and it sounds really good to me, though getting it tuned to standard bass was not easy, the strings a rather loose so I had to use a very light touch.

(Sunday we have a gig for the annual Culver City 5K run, we're playing a bunch of MGM movie songs. We'll be setup at the returning point of the run right outside the wall of the old MGM studios, now Sony. I'm most likely going to use my Hadean solid body that I had made to look like the 1st electric bass guitar from the late 1930s, an AudioVox 736 by Paul Tutmarc.)

Wow, Mike, that looks beautiful in any case. I'll have to visit you at some point to look at all your beautiful instruments. I just received my Fanner Pixelator. I had it customized too. Not totally thrilled with it because there are some finish problems and it was supposed to have a road-worn look to it. But, it is a good playing uke.

Wow, Mike, that looks beautiful in any case. I'll have to visit you at some point to look at all your beautiful instruments. I just received my Fanner Pixelator. I had it customized too. Not totally thrilled with it because there are some finish problems and it was supposed to have a road-worn look to it. But, it is a good playing uke.

Thanks very much. Yes, I'm always happy to show off my collection.

Top Bottom