Thread: NBD: Fanner custom 23" scale Gibson SG EB-0 style.

Default NBD: Fanner custom 23" scale Gibson SG EB-0 style.

I finally received the custom mini bass I ordered from Fanner Guitar Works in South Africa. I initiated the order in April 2019 and was supposed to take about 2 months, but Brian kept running into problems, so it ended up taking 8 months including shipping. It was $800 including $100 for shipping.

It came out pretty well, but I do have a couple of regrets. I was referred to his Etsy site by a post either here or on the Talk Bass forum. When I looked through his gallery, I saw that had a 23" scale solid body bass uke, so I asked if he could make that like a Gibson SG. He said yes, so I sent him a photo of a Gibson SG EB-0, but I didn't specify all the details, like the size of the body or the nut width, two things that came out a bit smaller than I'm used to, though I can live with it. He also included light round wound bass strings, which don't tune down to normal bass, they are actually piccolo octave, so I'm going to replace them with La Bella Deep Talkin' flatwound.

He suggested using African mahogany, and I asked that he include a matching thumb rest. Now I'm debating if I'm going to add fret markers stickers that compliment the style of the SG horns.

Last edited by kohanmike; 02-03-2020 at 09:58 AM.

Wow, looks nice! Looks in proportion to me, what's the nut width?
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Waverly Street banjolele - Worth Browns
    Tenor: Epiphone Hummingbird - Living Water low G
    UBass: Kala FS2 - Pahoehoe

Ooooh, that looks sweet! I couldn't deal with piccolo strings either. I'd love to hear it once you get the flats on. How's the quality on the pickup and electronics?
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Bonanzalele concert
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Pelem, A, EJ45LP

!Flukutronic!

Quote Originally Posted by UkerDanno View Post
    Wow, looks nice! Looks in proportion to me, what's the nut width?
    The nut is 1 7/16" but I prefer 1 5/8" to not feel too cramped.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hanks View Post
    Ooooh, that looks sweet! I couldn't deal with piccolo strings either. I'd love to hear it once you get the flats on. How's the quality on the pickup and electronics?
    I might have to add string through near the tail to fit the 25" long Gold Tone/La Bella. The La Bella nylon coated that I was planning to cut down do not fit, the wrap crosses over the saddle.

Brian made a custom pickup to be in proportion. It sits in a wood frame inserted in the body, very nicely done. I used it for rehearsal today and it sounds really good to me, though getting it tuned to standard bass was not easy, the strings a rather loose so I had to use a very light touch.

(Sunday we have a gig for the annual Culver City 5K run, we're playing a bunch of MGM movie songs. We'll be setup at the returning point of the run right outside the wall of the old MGM studios, now Sony. I'm most likely going to use my Hadean solid body that I had made to look like the 1st electric bass guitar from the late 1930s, an AudioVox 736 by Paul Tutmarc.)

Quote Originally Posted by kohanmike View Post
    The nut is 1 7/16" but I prefer 1 5/8" to not feel too cramped.
    Wow, measured my Kala, it's 1-11/16"...
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Waverly Street banjolele - Worth Browns
    Tenor: Epiphone Hummingbird - Living Water low G
    UBass: Kala FS2 - Pahoehoe

Wow, Mike, that looks beautiful in any case. I'll have to visit you at some point to look at all your beautiful instruments. I just received my Fanner Pixelator. I had it customized too. Not totally thrilled with it because there are some finish problems and it was supposed to have a road-worn look to it. But, it is a good playing uke.
    Solid Mahogany Tiny Tenor from Pepe Romero/Daniel Ho. Low-G. I named it "Lumière"
    Kala Soprano KA-ASOV-S Spruce and Ovangkol. High-G I named "Blood, Sweat, & Tears"
    KLOS Carbon Fiber Tenor Deluxe Acoustic/Electric Ukulele wound Low-G
    Cynthia Lin Performance uke. Concert scale with a cutaway Low-G
    Kala Soprano KA-KCT-S Ziricote fitted with Ernie Ball clear High-G
    Custom solid body steel string tenor from Brian Fanner

Quote Originally Posted by cyber3d View Post
    Wow, Mike, that looks beautiful in any case. I'll have to visit you at some point to look at all your beautiful instruments. I just received my Fanner Pixelator. I had it customized too. Not totally thrilled with it because there are some finish problems and it was supposed to have a road-worn look to it. But, it is a good playing uke.
    Thanks very much. Yes, I'm always happy to show off my collection.

Thread Information