Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UkeRepublic Disappointment

Angry UkeRepublic Disappointment

Just received a Kala KA-SA-B baritone uke from UkeRepublic. This instrument has an incredible sound, loooong sustain, but when I unboxed it the action was so high I could have stored a small family between the strings and the fretboard. Not a horrible situation, I lowered the action immediately, but very disappointing as I bought from Uke Republic because they 'supposedly' would have the uke all set up before shipping.

Did you request a special string height? If so, they, indeed, have fallen short and need a good spanking. As a former music shop owner we never touched the action until the customer indicated exactly how they wanted it. Otherwise, you often end up doing the job twice! For example, the delicate fingerpicking dude wants the strings to nearly lay on the frets whereas another likes it high so they can slam the strings. I like my 'ukulele set to 3mm above the 12th fret on the low G side and a wee bit lower under the A. My wife likes it set to 2.5mm–I have to hold back when I play her instrument or it buzzes like crazy.
    Last edited by gochugogi; 02-03-2020 at 07:47 PM.

It sounds as if you requested no specifics on the set-up/string height. If you didn't request a specific string height then you're most likely going to get what was set at the factory. Unless the action was so high you could hang laundry on it, the seller will leave it alone. Thus your problem is with Kala, not with Uke Republic.
    Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a uke which is basically the same thing.

Ukes are a lot like potato chips. It's hard to stop with just one!

Did you contact Uke Republic first before voicing your complaint here? My experience is that action from the factory is set within limits but on the higher side. Let the seller know your concerns. Also measure it to verify. I had purchased a uke from one of the UU popular sellers and thought the action had been high. However upon verifying the measurements I was mistaken and the action was at 2.5mm.
    K
    Sopranos, Concerts, and Tenors including Baritone body at a Tenor Scale - 4 String, 5 String and 8 String :-)
    For Sale: Seagull Nylon String
    For Sale: National Mahogany Resonator
    For Sale: Gold Tone Resonator

Quote Originally Posted by mikelz777 View Post
    It sounds as if you requested no specifics on the set-up/string height. If you didn't request a specific string height then you're most likely going to get what was set at the factory. Unless the action was so high you could hang laundry on it, the seller will leave it alone. Thus your problem is with Kala, not with Uke Republic.
    I don't know if Uke Republic advertises doing a setup on each uke, but if it does, 2.5 - 3 mm seems to be standard. I've bought from Mim and HMS that do setups, and the ukes have arrived setup very nicely.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

What was the measurement at 12th fret? 3mm can seem very high if you are accustomed to 2mm.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    I don't know if Uke Republic advertises doing a setup on each uke, but if it does, 2.5 - 3 mm seems to be standard. I've bought from Mim and HMS that do setups, and the ukes have arrived setup very nicely.
    They do:

"OUR SETUP
    Buy your ukuleles with confidence with UKE Republic! We have been setting up ukuleles since 2007. Every one of our instruments receives a thorough quality control inspection and professional ​setup for optimum sound and playability. Also, if you have a specific setup request such as low action (perfect for children, beginners, and hand or finger issues), left hand player, or higher action (perfect for the pro player that wants more volume) please let us know when ordering. Just make a note in the comments section of your order."

I know I like low action. A setting of 2.5 mm at the 12th fret would be my maximum height so if 2.5 - 3 mm is standard, the majority of standard is too high for me. I've purchased 2 ukes from vendors who did not do setups. I had to take both to a music shop to get the action lowered. The first uke I ordered from Mim, I did not specify what kind of action I wanted. When it arrived it was certainly playable but I had to have the action lowered for me to be able to play it comfortably. I didn't blame Mim. I blamed me for not telling her what I wanted.
    Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a uke which is basically the same thing.

Ukes are a lot like potato chips. It's hard to stop with just one!

I just took delivery on a Flight Tenor, from Uke Republic. Requested low action 2.50mm. My initial vision said, “It’s too high.” After playing for an hour or so, I realized Mike set it up perfectly.

As a side note: This is my first uke with a low G, Worth Brown strings. Double wow wow. Simply perfect.

Good luck, OP, with yours.
    “Well, today is a good day to make music.”

Quote Originally Posted by terrgy View Post
    I just took delivery on a Flight Tenor, from Uke Republic. Requested low action 2.50mm. My initial vision said, “It’s too high.” After playing for an hour or so, I realized Mike set it up perfectly.
    Nice to hear. I have been contemplating buying my next uke from UR. I would not have thought about specifying the action height without reading this thread. I’m a 3mm uker, myself. I get too much string buzz if is lower than that.

Quote Originally Posted by rorym View Post
    Nice to hear. I have been contemplating buying my next uke from UR. I would not have thought about specifying the action height without reading this thread. I’m a 3mm uker, myself. I get too much string buzz if is lower than that.
    I like 2.5mm because of arthritis in my fingers, both hands. Three surgeries, one artificial knuckle. A light touch is all I need, as I play out with electric.

That said, if I could get by with 3.00mm, I would bang away.

Oh, to be 40 again.
    “Well, today is a good day to make music.”

Thread Information