Orders from China

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I bet eBay orders coming from China are on the decline. I wouldn't want to get a package of coronavirus delivered to my house.

There was a Simpson's episode about that. A Chinese worker sneezed into a package going to Homer, and he got sick. Of course, almost everything we buy comes from China.

I've heard that business at local Chinese restaurants is down - kind of an overreaction, I think.

Maybe the virus was sent over to China in the first place. There have been lots of trade negotiations lately. Wouldn't put it past him.

I bet eBay orders coming from China are on the decline. I wouldn't want to get a package of coronavirus delivered to my house.

There was a Simpson's episode about that. A Chinese worker sneezed into a package going to Homer, and he got sick. Of course, almost everything we buy comes from China.

I've heard that business at local Chinese restaurants is down - kind of an overreaction, I think.
I've had similar thoughts cross my mind too about Chinese goods.....which include a lot of ukes....and of course a lot of other stuff...but I'm not sure if there is really anything to worry about there. It's not my area of expertise.

Maybe the virus was sent over to China in the first place. There have been lots of trade negotiations lately. Wouldn't put it past him.

I personally don't think this kind of post fits into the vibe of UU and may even be against the rules. I don't think we're supposed to be talking politics or conspiracy theories here, or making personal attacks. There are lots of other forums for that.

Last edited:

I can't say these thoughts didn't cross my mind. I told myself that I wouldn't be ordering anything via AliExpress for a while. Just last week I was eating at a Chinese restaurant and I was wondering to myself if any of the staff had traveled to China recently. I'm not even sure that the staff is Chinese. The restaurant was bought out recently and now they are introducing Pho and other new dishes so I think that they may be Vietnamese.

It has only been spread by close personal contact and can’t survive through the post. Don’t take my word for it - there are heaps of articles online about it. So worry not.

The bigger risk is extra delays in the manufacturing and delivery chain because of quarantines. The virus won’t carry through stuff. Goods on a slow boat are doubly safe since the quarantine length is two weeks, so even if a crew member picked up the virus on shore it’d be done by the time they crossed the ocean.

China is running the world’s biggest work-from-home experiment right now. My company’s offices in Shanghai and Wuxi are all closed with people working remotely. I think that’s the case across the tech industry. I don’t know how they’re working it for manufacturing where WFH isn’t an option.

People avoiding Chinese restaurants for fear of Coronavirus comes down to racism and stupidity (but I repeat myself). It’s about as rational as avoiding Mexican restaurants because they serve Coronas.

The flu is bigger threat: it’s more widespread and has killed more people. Did you get your vaccine?

I can't say these thoughts didn't cross my mind. I told myself that I wouldn't be ordering anything via AliExpress for a while. Just last week I was eating at a Chinese restaurant and I was wondering to myself if any of the staff had traveled to China recently. I'm not even sure that the staff is Chinese. The restaurant was bought out recently and now they are introducing Pho and other new dishes so I think that they may be Vietnamese.

We had Chinese take-out last night - as a show of support and because I didn't feel like cooking (and the pizza place is closed on Monday). :D

A little googling and you'll see the virus wouldn't survive the trip over on a package. But, you can probably get by with less stuff from Aliexpress, so don't order if it's not important.

If you're concerned about Corona, you should be more concerned about influenza which is killing thousands every year. Probably not a good idea to dine out during flu season if you are old or immune compromised.

I personally don't think this kind of post fits into the vibe of UU and may even be against the rules. I don't think we're supposed to be talking politics or conspiracy theories here, or making personal attacks. There are lots of other forums for that.

There has been a fair bit of pro USA anti China passive racism in these forums recently and no one ever picks up on it. Funny that.

It's disappointing to see this kind of ignorant post that does nothing to inform or enlighten. Before I get 'attacked' for criticizing, please think about how this kind of "I wonder why they don't... " comments fuel other ignorance. A simple click lookup to the CDC or World Health Organization will have provided the OP's information and avoided this nonsense.
FWIW, CDC's verbal reply to a reporter's inquiry says the virus can stay transmittable on a non-biological surface for 4-5 hours.
Lastly, I'd ask the OP whether he/she washes hands after opening packages, groceries, doors, or going to the bathroom. :)

A little googling and you'll see the virus wouldn't survive the trip over on a package. But, you can probably get by with less stuff from Aliexpress, so don't order if it's not important.

If you're concerned about Corona, you should be more concerned about influenza which is killing thousands every year. Probably not a good idea to dine out during flu season if you are old or immune compromised.

OR... fail to get a flu immunization !! NPR piece on 02/04 stated that last year 61,000 deaths last year were directly attributable to the flu virus (and the underlying development of pneumonia as the flu weakened the immune systems allowing the advancement of pneumonia)

The incubation period for the Corona Virus is 10 to 14 days. That is, before the person who is infected begins to show signs of being sick. That is NOT the same as the length of time the person will be ill, or contagious.

They have determined it is a respiratory virus transmitted as aerosol droplets from coughing and sneezing and inhaling them or touching or ingesting something that was exposed to the droplets. Rubbing your eyes, eating food with contaminated hands, etc. Shaking hands is one of the ways. Much like the flu virus.

Various parts of China have the inhabitants under a mandatory state of confinement to their homes. One person is allowed to leave 2 days a week for supplies. Virtually all of the restaurants are closed. And many businesses cannot operate. Supplies of face masks and gloves are depleted throughout China.

The death rate, at this time, is running between 2 and 3 percent of the people who have been infected. The MERS virus, by comparison, had a death rate of over 30 percent.

In many Asian countries, like Japan and China, people traditionally cover their faces when they get sick with a mask. So as not to infect other people. They usually are asked to stay home by their employers when they are ill. How many Americans will do that? How many American companies?

Chinese scientists had the genome mapped of the Coronavirus within one day of the outbreak being reported. They had 3 more within 2 or 3 days. That is how they have found out that it is mutating. Which will make vaccines and anti-viral drugs more difficult to develop.

I think Johns Hopkins has a world map on their website representing all reported cases of the virus.

I believe India and Pakistan actually make more of the prescription drugs used in this country than China. But my information on that is over a decade old, so it may no longer be the case.

Wash your hands frequently. It will arrive in this country eventually. And we are not taking steps to deal with it other than quarantining Americans who have been in Wuhan in the last two weeks. People who have been in other parts of China are supposed to put themselves under voluntary quarantine.

It's disappointing to see this kind of ignorant post that does nothing to inform or enlighten. Before I get 'attacked' for criticizing, please think about how this kind of "I wonder why they don't... " comments fuel other ignorance. A simple click lookup to the CDC or World Health Organization will have provided the OP's information and avoided this nonsense.
FWIW, CDC's verbal reply to a reporter's inquiry says the virus can stay transmittable on a non-biological surface for 4-5 hours.
Lastly, I'd ask the OP whether he/she washes hands after opening packages, groceries, doors, or going to the bathroom. :)

Sorry if I offended you.

"A US laboratory chemist who received a parcel mailed via China Post’s Wuhan facility complained to the United Stated Postal Service that such parcels could potentially spread disease ‘depending on the contents of the package’."

https://www.the-sun.com/news/334391...navirus-fears-and-consider-bleaching-parcels/

https://www.thewave.co.uk/on-air/bl...ona-virus-from-your-ebay-purchase-from-china/

The bigger risk is extra delays in the manufacturing and delivery chain because of quarantines.

I've been waiting for a couple of items I ordered through AliExpress, which have been delayed so long that the dealer has shipped another, and of course will take that much longer, especially with the slow down of work.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 6 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 41)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Top Bottom