Ukulele sounds like Guitar

johnnysmash

Reaction score
Learned something new yesterday. I purchased a small amp/speaker the other day and hooked up my baritone ukulele to it and played. My wife said that it now sounds like a guitar. I thought the same. Has anyone else ever noticed the difference when plugged in?

i don't baritone, but enjoyed going electric with my Risa when I had it. I am getting a new electric in a month or two. My soprano Risa took effects very well and gave the impression of being way up the neck with a guitar so I believe your experience.

got some video of it to share?

Also curious if you used a pre-amp and which amp. Mine was through a vox pathfinder 10 and boss eq pedal for a pre-amp. I shopped around and picked this amp because it was the best affordable amp that didn't have a prominent piezo squawk.

I find that only with low G linear tuning. I switched from guitar to ukulele high G reentrant tuning because how different it sounded from guitar, which I played for almost fifty years, I actually gave my four guitars to my nephew, that's how enamored I am with high G ukulele. Linear tuning to me sounds too much like a guitar.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 6 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 41)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Hey Johnny, I agree with your conclusion, especially with a baritone. With an amplifier you can add reverb, chorus and adjust or increase the bass. This all ads up to more resonance and a fuller sound just like a guitar has compared to a ukulele.

Last edited:
Usually tuned the same as a guitar's 4 higher strings, so it will sound guitar like. :)

A baby guitar if you like, part of the reason I bought mine, (most) guitars have too many strings & are just too big. ;)

Np pre amp. Just an amp and speaker in a 8 inch by 8 inch, by 5 inches deep case. Made in China. Overdrive is the name on front of the unit. No other information that I can read because what little information is there is is in Thai. I live in Thailand so unless I mail order I do not have many large choices. Volume setting has ten clicks. I only use 1/2 of a click and it is very loud in a 18'X6' room with 9' ceiling. Very inexpensive. 1,100 Baht. Approximately 36 dollars. Maybe it will live and maybe it will die. Only time will tell.

Top Bottom