Aromanticism

Twiggy

Reaction score
Aromantic can be defined as:

A person who experiences little or no romantic attraction to others.

People identifying as aromantic can also experience romance in a way otherwise disconnected from normative societal expectations (for example due to feeling repulsed by romance, or being uninterested in romantic relationships.)

The more I think about it, the more I think I may be aromantic myself, my 25th birthday is literally at the end of this month, and I have never in my life felt true romantic attraction to anyone, and I am not really interested in a romantic relationship either, plus it just seems like a bother to me.

However I know for certain that I am not asexual, I can assure myself and anyone else of that. *lmao*

I do have friends that are females and who I get along with well, but I am not interested in them anymore than that really. The most I'd be interested in with anyone woman would be good friends "with benefits" as they say.

Some people may say I'm still young, and that things may change, but on the other hand I know people who were in the same grade as I was, who are now married and some even have kids. Other people my age are also already in long term relationships. I am not jealous of them, because I am completely disinterested in that. However it seems to me that if I did have romantic attraction, I would've at least been romantically attracted to at least one woman by now, but I have not.

So I am not completely sure of course, but it seems that it could be very much possible that I am indeed an aromantic, and that there is a good reason why I think love songs are meaningless and that I'm not able to relate to them.

At first, I wondered if "aromantic" was a portmanteau word formed from "aroma" and "romantic" - possibly meaning someone who is turned on by sensations of the olfactory system.

Sniff.

John Colter

I have found that people who are comfortable in their own skin, who enjoy their own company and don’t feel pressured by societal expectations, often have less interest in being in a romantic relationship with someone. Relationships can be messy, and require a fair degree of work to remain viable and satisfactory to both parties involved. If you like your life as a single person, great. Lots of single people do. Those who don’t like being single find someone to be with. It’s worth noting that for many singles, it’s simply a case of not having met the right person yet. There’s no age limit on romance. :)

i am aro-ace. always been but tried to force myself into relationships and of course they didn't work out, but I still consider my 8 year marriage to have been relatively successful since I now have a 12 year old son named Nico. I only discovered both aromanticism and asexuality after the divorce when I saw a documentary on cable(now found on youtube) called (a)sexuality.

Love songs can - and often do - move me to tears.

John Colter

The whole "romance" concept is an invention of Hollywood marketing people, it is not "real". So don't worry about labeling yourself or others.

I know people who thought they were aromantic until they met their true love :)

I know people who thought they were aromantic until they met their true love :)

I agree! I was one of them. I went on dates with different guys, some of them were really in love with me. That was the reason I started the relationships with them, but of course, it was only the question of time and we broke up. So, I thought I just didn't need all this romantic stuff and that I could feel comfortable being single. Until the pandemic began and I changed my job. I started working with a man (remotely) from https://pickwriters.com/immigration-translation-services. We chatted and talked in live chat several times. Some time passed and I realized that I had strong feelings for him, though we never met in real life. When the quarantine measures were weakened, we finally had a real date. He is my husband now :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom