What does a side sound hole get me (sound-wise)?

zivilars

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

when searching for a new uke I always wonder what those with an extra side sound hole really do for me as a player – to anybody here who own(ed) / played one: Are we talking about a whole other (=better) sound experience to listen "live" to your own playing? Or is the difference minor to not really existing? (Only more volume wouldn't be something I care about.)

I would consider trying a uke with a side hole as my next one if this kind of building somehow really makes a significant difference in using the laws of sound wave physics and bringing the full sound to my ears as a player. I somehow doubt, though, that the difference is *that* big, otherwise much more ukuleles would be built with a side hole I guess ...

If anybody can speak from own experience, mabye he/she can let me know. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
My go to uke has a side port on the left hand side/upper bout, looking at the uke top, headstock up.
It throws sound right up in my face as I play. I hear more of what my audience hears, acoustically, that's all.

I was expecting to be wowed by a sound port but I wasn’t. Maybe it depends on the ukulele. This was on a custom tenor that was gorgeous and had a wonderful sound to begin with. I really didn’t think it added anything.

The couple I have with sound holes does help me hear the output, but I don't look for them, if they have it fine, if not, fine also.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 6 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 41)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Thanks a lot for your answers – those confirm my personal guess that such a side hole can be nice, but probablay doesn't make *that* much of a difference. I hope I'll get my hands on such an ukulele in the near future to try it out by myself ... Thanks again!

Last edited:
For my answer - let's put it this way.

I have played MANY with side ports. Never thought afterwards 'Oh I MUST have one on my next uke'

That is not to say I am against them, but equally never thought they were a 'must have' for me.

Yeah, I guess so – will still finally have to check out an ukulele with side port to make up my own mind. Never got the chance to get my hands on one yet, hopefully this will change someday soon.

;) That's another way to look at it – let alone the dust going inside ...

One good reason for having a side sound port is that it can help you hear your own ukulele when playing with a bunch of other musicians. For those whose hearing is not what it used to be, this can be especially helpful.

Jan

One good reason for having a side sound port is that it can help you hear your own ukulele when playing with a bunch of other musicians. For those whose hearing is not what it used to be, this can be especially helpful.

Jan

Definitely agree. One group I play with, they play LOUD. I mean really LOUD. Often I can not hear myself.
As such, a side port is on my list of requirements for my next Uke.

Otherwise, for my other three groups, not an issue.

Sounds logical with being able to hear your own ukulele playing better when playing with others. I'm an "alone on the couch" player, so it wouldn't be an argument for me to choose an uke with extra side hole, but I definitely have to check out the different/louder sound nevertheless. Thanks again for the answers.

Top Bottom