baritone guitar ukulele

meoweth

Reaction score
As a guitar player for over 20 years, I have been playing baritone uke for a little bit now and am loving it. I have heard of a baritone guitar which is tuned lower than 'normal' guitar. Has anyone build a 4-string version of the baritone guitar as uke?

Baritone guitar is BEADF#B or B1 E2 A2 D3 F#3 B3 so a uke version would be A2 D3 F#3 B3. The "octave uke" idea is GCEA at G2 C3 E3 A3, a step *lower* .

So, yeah, it's been done. You can get there with a standard baritone uke with the right strings.

What Jim said. I have my Ohana baritone uke tuned that way (A-D-F#-B). I'm using classical guitar strings (with the G string tuned down a half-step to F#). Classical guitar strings are the only way to get that low A. For the other three you could use standard DGBE baritone uke strings (the D, G and B strings).

This isn't an octave lower but is like a tenor guitar size with nylon strings. Next to it is a regular baritone. Puts out a full deep sound.

Attachments

• IMG_1521.jpg
    IMG_1521.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1527.jpg
    IMG_1527.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 19
Tenor guitar may be an option for you to look at. They are mostly braced for steel strings, but Pono makes a tenor guitar braced for nylon strings. Here is a clip done with a Tenor guitar tuned like the bottom 4 of a Baritone Guitar (A-D-F#-B)

wow, didnt know there was a tenor guitar! thanks will look into this..

I have a Baritone Uke with a set C, 8vb strings on it. It's Island tuning, but an octave lower than normal. That gets it so low that chords sound pretty mushy. But plucking single strings sounds real nice.

I recently brought a steel string tenor guitar (23" scale), tuned DGBE, like a baritone ukulele, to Gryphon Stringed Instruments, and asked them if they could piece together and install a set of steel strings for tuning DGBE an octave lower than baritone ukulele tuning. They did it, and the tenor guitar actually sounds pretty good. I don't know if I'll keep it this way, but I was glad to see that it was doable.

By the way, I'm one of the (apparently few) people who own a Compass Rose "octave ukulele" (tuned GCEA, an octave lower than tenor ukulele) like the one discussed in the thread for which there is a link in comment #2. I have a steel string baritone ukulele that I am considering restringing so that it's tuned GCEA an octave lower than tenor ukulele, which is a bit lower than ordinary DGBE baritone ukulele tuning, but higher than octave-lower-than baritone DGBE tuning.

Last edited:
Top Bottom