Thread: baritone guitar ukulele

Default baritone guitar ukulele

As a guitar player for over 20 years, I have been playing baritone uke for a little bit now and am loving it. I have heard of a baritone guitar which is tuned lower than 'normal' guitar. Has anyone build a 4-string version of the baritone guitar as uke?

Baritone guitar is BEADF#B or B1 E2 A2 D3 F#3 B3 so a uke version would be A2 D3 F#3 B3. The "octave uke" idea is GCEA at G2 C3 E3 A3, a step *lower* .

So, yeah, it's been done. You can get there with a standard baritone uke with the right strings.
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Bonanzalele concert
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Pelem, B reentrant

!Flukutronic!

What Jim said. I have my Ohana baritone uke tuned that way (A-D-F#-B). I'm using classical guitar strings (with the G string tuned down a half-step to F#). Classical guitar strings are the only way to get that low A. For the other three you could use standard DGBE baritone uke strings (the D, G and B strings).
    Kala KA-TE tenor uke (currently tuned F-Bb-D-G w/Worth Browns)
    Kala APB-CTG baritone uke (currently tuned D-G-B-E w/Martin 22 Baritone strings)
    Ohana BK-35CG baritone uke (tuned A-D-F#-B w/Savarez classical guitar strings)
    Various guitars, banjos, and basses

This isn't an octave lower but is like a tenor guitar size with nylon strings. Next to it is a regular baritone. Puts out a full deep sound.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tenor guitar may be an option for you to look at. They are mostly braced for steel strings, but Pono makes a tenor guitar braced for nylon strings. Here is a clip done with a Tenor guitar tuned like the bottom 4 of a Baritone Guitar (A-D-F#-B)

wow, didnt know there was a tenor guitar! thanks will look into this..

Kerrville, TX - Heart of the Fabulous Texas Hill Country

I have a Baritone Uke with a set C, 8vb strings on it. It's Island tuning, but an octave lower than normal. That gets it so low that chords sound pretty mushy. But plucking single strings sounds real nice.
    "The sole cause of all human misery is the inability of people
    to sit quietly in their rooms." - Blaise Pascal, 1670

I'm getting a guitarlele vibe from you. Is what you're imagining a 6-string instrument?

I recently brought a steel string tenor guitar (23" scale), tuned DGBE, like a baritone ukulele, to Gryphon Stringed Instruments, and asked them if they could piece together and install a set of steel strings for tuning DGBE an octave lower than baritone ukulele tuning. They did it, and the tenor guitar actually sounds pretty good. I don't know if I'll keep it this way, but I was glad to see that it was doable.

By the way, I'm one of the (apparently few) people who own a Compass Rose "octave ukulele" (tuned GCEA, an octave lower than tenor ukulele) like the one discussed in the thread for which there is a link in comment #2. I have a steel string baritone ukulele that I am considering restringing so that it's tuned GCEA an octave lower than tenor ukulele, which is a bit lower than ordinary DGBE baritone ukulele tuning, but higher than octave-lower-than baritone DGBE tuning.
    Last edited by mds725; 02-19-2020 at 06:41 AM.

Thread Information