My UAS Journey: One year and more than a dozen ukuleles later

Wonderful journey,

And great photography too,

Of beautiful ukes.

Just out of curiosity, why did you go shopping for an electric ukulele so you could play amplified when you'd already bought the Risa? Was it not suitable somehow?

It is a stretch to play “While my guitar gently weeps” on a concert size. Also, my fingers hit the body a lot for the last fast strumming part due to the RISA’s unique shape.

Very nice Jiji, your choices are excellent, but I look at UAS as a positive thing. I played guitar for almost 50 years, then about 7 years ago I accidentally started playing uke when I retired, joined a seniors uke group and went through 16 ukes my first year, then culled them down to 4 of my favorites, now I'm up to 9, including custom mades and a Godin Multiuke that is great. I never touched my 4 guitars again and gave them to my nephew.

But that's my light UAS story, my heavy story is that a year after starting uke, the leader of the group asked if anyone would like to take up the bass to fill in our sound, I discovered bass ukes and small electric bass guitars and went for it. Since then I'm up to 32 bass ukes/mini bass guitars between 21" to 25" scale, some I've even had converted from short scale electric guitars.

Keep up the good work.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 6 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 41)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Last edited:
Top Bottom