Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gotaukulele's Highest Rating for "Sound"

Default Gotaukulele's Highest Rating for "Sound"

I created the following list for myself and thought others might be interested. I realize a ukulele's sound is subjective, but knowing what others with experience think is the way to learn. Thanks again, Barry.

The following ukuleles have gotaukulele.com's highest rating for sound (9.5) AND have an overall rating above 9 (through 2019). I've added the date because, just like the Olympics, the judging may have changed over the years, or the ukuleles may be made differently now.

9.6 Overall Rating
    "Ken Timms Mahagany" Soprano (Nov 2017)

9.5 Overall Rating
    "Anuenue UT 200 Moon Bird" Tenor (Nov 2016)
    "Paul Barnard Wildcat" Baritone (Jun 2018)
    "Kamaka HF-1" Soprano (Feb 2018)
    "Kiwaya KTS-7" Soprano (May 2019)
    "Koaloha KTM-00" Tenor (Sep 2018)

9.4 Overall Rating
    "Anuenue ANN-UT5K Moon Bird" Tenor (Jul 2019)
    "Blackbird Farralon" Tenor (Jun 2018)
    "Rebel Cheesecake" Super Concert (Apr 2019)
    "ZT Ukuleles" Baritone (June 2019)
    "ZT Ukuleles" Tenor (May 2019)

9.3 Overall Rating
    "Antica Ukuleleria Moderno" Tenor (Jul 2018)
    "Anuenue UT140 Light Bird" Tenor (Oct 2018)
    "Beltona Style 2 Resonator" Tenor (Nov 2015)
    "Blackbird Clara" Concert (Oct 2016)
    "Kanile’a K-1" Tenor (Aug 2011)
    "Kiwaya KTS-5" Soprano (May 2017)
    "KM Ukuleles" Dreadnought Concert (Mar 2018)
    "Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany" Soprano (Jun 2017)

9.1 Overall Rating
    "Pono MTD-E Electro Acoustic" Tenor (Apr 2013)
    "Grenosi Machete" Soprano (Apr 2017)
    "Rebel Quark" Tenor (Dec 2019)

The End

This is a very wrong way to look at it... these are ball park numbers around feel. Please do not reduce his reviews down to this. He does meaningful reviews and always talks about how many things are personal preference and that there is variation. If anything, focus on his rating for build and value.
    Last edited by kerneltime; 02-07-2020 at 09:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kerneltime View Post
    This is a very wrong way to look at it... these are ball park numbers around feel. Please do not reduce his reviews down to this. He does meaningful reviews and always talks about how many things are personal preference and that there is variation. If anything focus on this rating for build and value.
    Hmm - Not trying to offend anyone. I wasn't trying to reduce his complete reviews in any way. I just was collecting what interested me. I don't have the opportunity to hear what all these ukuleles sound like, so I like listening to his reviews. I learn a lot. Yes, I pay attention to all the other criteria, but what interests me most about these great little instruments is their sound, and how different the same notes and chords can sound when playing. I guess I should mention I did show it to Barry first and he wrote it was OK to post

You certainly don't get a good feel for the sound of an instrument on that site. YouTube is a much better resource for that and for reviews in general. You should always seek out as many as possible by as many different users as you can find.
    Kamaka HF-3DC - Kamaka HF-2LD - Kanile'a Custom 5 string Super Tenor - KoAloha Special Issue Tenor - Pono MGTP5-PC

Quote Originally Posted by Counter View Post
    You certainly don't get a good feel for the sound of an instrument on that site. YouTube is a much better resource for that and for reviews in general. You should always seek out as many as possible by as many different users as you can find.
    I always find his reviews helpful. He covers a lot of areas and shares clear thoughts about pros and cons. He is quite objective and gives the reader/viewer plenty of things to consider. I like that he plays the same standard patterns on each so it makes it very easy to compare. There is no substitute for picking up and instrument and playing it, but this is a great resource. When I have played some of the models he has reviewed I have always felt that his assessment was quite good. Of course, it is always good to seek other input, but this is a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Counter View Post
    Hey.. thanks... (you do realise that every review ALSO has a YouTube video?) - though I do agree that you should watch as many as you can. Trouble is in my experience is that many are cropping up now that are paid product placement.
    The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Fluke, Flea, Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany soprano, KM Ukuleles Dreadnought Concert, Brüko walnut soprano

Quote Originally Posted by EDW View Post
    I like that he plays the same standard patterns on each so it makes it very easy to compare. There is no substitute for picking up and instrument and playing it, but this is a great resource.
    I do really appreciate when the same patterns are played so that a comparison is a little more meaningful. Of course, there are other variables, but I often find myself trying to compare sound samples, but finding that such completely different things are played, (different styles, strumming vs. fingerpicking, for example), that there really isn't any way to compare. Using the same patterns at least gives you some common ground.

It is a good resource, and I appreciate the effort that goes into it.

Quote Originally Posted by bazmaz View Post
    Hey.. thanks... (you do realise that every review ALSO has a YouTube video?) - though I do agree that you should watch as many as you can. Trouble is in my experience is that many are cropping up now that are paid product placement.
    I don't think I've ever seen a paid for review for a ukulele. I do try to avoid ukulele related websites with adverts on them though.

Except for this one of course
    Last edited by Counter; 02-07-2020 at 06:09 AM.
    Kamaka HF-3DC - Kamaka HF-2LD - Kanile'a Custom 5 string Super Tenor - KoAloha Special Issue Tenor - Pono MGTP5-PC

That's part of the problem - they don't say so - talking about YouTube influencers of the sort who are wined and dined at the NAMM show and are sent several from single brands to plug in every video.

Feel free to avoid my site, (or use an ad blocker), but the ads have to stay. It runs them for the very simple reason that it makes no money otherwise and the ads are selected by Google, not me (ie, not favouring any particular brand). Funnily enough the same ad network this very forum uses..

The ad money goes into buying some ukuleles for review (lower end models - running at about 30% of the reviews) in an attempt to ensure that I don't only review instruments that are loaned to me (and therefore have been checked over before they are sent so I get a 'good one'). Not a perfect system of course, but an attempt to increase impartiality. For example - many of the Kala instruments I have featured have been loaned to me by the UK distributor. Not all though - I bought some.

After they have been reviewed they are either sold to go back into the same pot or given to local school / charity.

Would be nice if Google revenue allowed me to bring more reviews of Kamaka's, Chuck Moore's and the like.. but they really ain't that generous.

But... we digress...
    Last edited by bazmaz; 02-07-2020 at 06:16 AM.
    The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Fluke, Flea, Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany soprano, KM Ukuleles Dreadnought Concert, Brüko walnut soprano

Quote Originally Posted by bazmaz View Post
    Yes. It seems that there are a number that are basically an infomercial or that spend 75% of the time showing you the unboxing, which I really don't get. (and yes, I saw your video on that, which
    made me laugh)

Thread Information