Need Some Advice

jnicholes

Reaction score
So, Valentines Day is coming up. I want to play a song on my ukulele for a friend of mine. However, I am struggling to figure out what song would be appropriate for a Valentines Day gift.

I thought about doing The Proclaimers "500 miles," to describe what I would do for her, But I want some more ideas.

Anyone got any ideas to help me out?

Jared

Can’t help falling in love with you. Pretty fun, easy to play, easy to sing

Another idea...

TODAY
Today while the blossoms still cling to the vine
I’ll taste your strawberries I’ll drink your sweet wine
A million tomorrow’s will all pass away
Err I forget all the love that I have, today

Pretty tune, love song, easy to play

Basically,
C. Am. F. G7

The Beatles "I Will".
Who knows how long I've loved you. You know I love you still. Will I wait a lonely lifetime. If you want me to, I will.

Just friends: You've Got a Friend in Me (Randy Newman)

Early romance: I'm Yours (Jason Mraz)

A little deeper: 1, 2, 3, 4 (Plain White Tees)

Still deeper: I Will (Beatles)

All in: The Book of Love (Magnetic Fields)

WARNING: Don't sing that last one unless you mean it ;-)

Sorry, I failed to mention we are just friends.

Good ideas regardless!

Oh, then With A Little Help from My Friends (Beatles) and sing it together. Have fun :)

Here are some friendship songs and non-love songs that might work:

Count On Me - Bruno Mars

You’ve Got a Friend - Carole King

With a Little Help from My Friends - Lennon & McCarney

You’ve Got a Friend in Me - Randy Newman

Don’t Worry Be Happy - Bobby McFerrin

House on Poo Corner - Kenny Loggins

Jennifer’s Rabbit - Tom Paxton

The Rainbow Connection - Paul Williams

Feeling Good - Nina Simone

Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head - BJ Thomas

Sing - The Carpenters

Happy - Pharrel Williams

Sandwiches - Bob King

Anyone Else But You - Moldy Peaches

well...I think you need to first access your friend and make some choices based on his/her personality. All the aforementioned songs in this thread are nice in a generic kind of way, but I would think you would be shooting for something more than generic--something more personal. For example, if you were going to be singing and playing for my edification and you trotted out a four chord song, I would be less than enthusiastic. Of course, I would be polite and acknowledge the effort you put into a 1645 progression for me, but I would be a little more into it if you included a few stacked chords like an add9 or some dominant chords such as a 7sus2. But that's just me. And that's my point. You need to play to your audience.

I'm not sure what message you're hoping to convey since you're just friends, but how about I'll Be There.

Let me fill your heart with joy and laughter
Togetherness, well that's all I'm after
Whenever you need me, I'll be there
I'll be there to protect you, with an unselfish love I respect you
Just call my name and I'll be there

So, Valentines Day is coming up. I want to play a song on my ukulele for a friend of mine. However, I am struggling to figure out what song would be appropriate for a Valentines Day gift.

I thought about doing The Proclaimers "500 miles," to describe what I would do for her, But I want some more ideas.

Anyone got any ideas to help me out?

Jared

Yes, "500 Miles" is a popular song in our group. I would go with that. Valentine's Day can be tricky, though. Is she a friend or a "Friend." Getting it wrong can cause trouble.

Well, if you want that "just friend" to be more, how about Jim Croce's "I have to say I love you in a song"

Yes, "500 Miles" is a popular song in our group. I would go with that. Valentine's Day can be tricky, though. Is she a friend or a "Friend." Getting it wrong can cause trouble.

I think I'll do that. She is just a friend.

500 miles it is.

Top Bottom