Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Enya with a Difference

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Catskill Mountains, NY
    Posts
    5,545

    Default Enya with a Difference

    The Enya Nova U fretboard is all black, even the frets. I thought I'd brighten it up a bit. I used the same graphic I put on another uke and cut the segments to fit. It was time consuming, but worth it. A simpler solution would have been to buy a graphic from Neck Illusions.


    200.jpg
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Capital District, New York
    Posts
    3,650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    The Enya Nova U fretboard is all black, even the frets. I thought I'd brighten it up a bit. I used the same graphic I put on another uke and cut the segments to fit. It was time consuming, but worth it. A simpler solution would have been to buy a graphic from Neck Illusions.


    200.jpg
    Is that the Enya with the built in effects? If so, the web posting from Enya says that it is a Carbon Fiber instrument, then in the same sentence says Polycarbonate. Which are two different things, as far as I can determine.

    How does it feel, and how does it sound?
    Banjo Ukes: Southern Cross, Firefly, Stella
    Sopranos: Donaldson, Timms, Moku, Waterman, Bugsgear, Outdoor, Waverly Street, Harmony
    Concerts:Cocobolo #412, Ohana CK450QEL, CK-65D, Rosewood Vita, Mahogany Vita,
    Donaldson Custom, Epi Les Paul, National Triolian Reso, Republic
    Tenors: Kala KA-KTG-CY, KoAloha Sceptre, Fluke, Cordoba 20TM
    Bass: Fluke Timber

    Am I done?

    ...Maybe?...

    My YouTube Channel

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Catskill Mountains, NY
    Posts
    5,545

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ksiegel View Post
    Is that the Enya with the built in effects? If so, the web posting from Enya says that it is a Carbon Fiber instrument, then in the same sentence says Polycarbonate. Which are two different things, as far as I can determine.

    How does it feel, and how does it sound?
    I thought I could do without the $100 electrification. I paid $70 for mine, and I also bought an Aklot electric for $70. The Enya Nova U is a combination polycarbonate and carbon fiber - like the Outdoor Carbon. The Enya sounds very good - and it is loud. People in my group have been surprised at the sound quality and the volume. I bought mine after seeing and hearing someone our group with one. A friend just got the Acoustic/Electric version, and I'll see that today.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Derry, Ireland
    Posts
    33

    Default

    ksiegel,

    As far as I recall Bazmaz states in his review that it's Polycarbonate with about 30 percent Carbon fibre added.

    Re the Transacoustic version, I had one but in my opinion it didn't justify the more than doubled price tag.

    Vintage

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VintageGibson View Post
    ksiegel,

    As far as I recall Bazmaz states in his review that it's Polycarbonate with about 30 percent Carbon fibre added.

    Re the Transacoustic version, I had one but in my opinion it didn't justify the more than doubled price tag.

    Vintage
    I am dubious that the "30% carbon fibre" is much more than a marketing gimmick. Same goes for the carbon fibre Outdoor ukulele (supposedly also 30%).

    Regarding the Transacoustic system, I wouldn't buy it unless I really wanted to amplify the ukulele, which of course some people will want to do.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Twin Cities, Minnesota, USA
    Posts
    560

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ksiegel View Post
    ......the web posting from Enya says that it is a Carbon Fiber instrument, then in the same sentence says Polycarbonate. Which are two different things, as far as I can determine.
    Calling the Enya or the black Outdoor Ukulele a "Carbon Fiber" instrument isn't technically wrong, but it is misleading. Both of them are examples of fiber filled polymer construction, using carbon fiber as the filler and polycarbonate in an injection molding process. I'd be surprised if either is as much 30% carbon fiber, since most glass filled examples are 5% to 20% filler. Common examples of this type of material would include glass fiber reinforced nylon parts such as gears.

    At any rate this is fundamentally different from what is commonly known as carbon fiber composites - the sort of thing Airbus wings, Klos ukuleles, and Rainsong guitars are made of. These are carbon fiber reinforced polymer (CFRP) using woven sheets of carbon fiber with (usually) epoxy resin, laid up in a mold - and is what most people think of when you say "carbon fiber composite". I had a club member ask why should anyone pay $1000 for a carbon fiber Klos when you could get a carbon fiber uke from Outdoor Ukulele for $200? I tried to explain this difference, but gave up. Best I could do was to suggest it's sort of like the difference between a laminate and solid wood uke.
    Last edited by besley; 02-08-2020 at 09:27 AM.
    Blackbird Farallon Ekoa Tenor
    Beltona Songster Resonator Tenor
    Klos Carbon Fiber Tenor
    Magic Fluke Tenor Firefly Banjolele

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Pickering, ON, Canada
    Posts
    5,977

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    The Enya Nova U fretboard is all black, even the frets. I thought I'd brighten it up a bit. I used the same graphic I put on another uke and cut the segments to fit. It was time consuming, but worth it. A simpler solution would have been to buy a graphic from Neck Illusions.


    200.jpg
    Looks good Jerry. You were the guy that turned me onto Neck Illusions which made it easy for me to cover my fretboard.

    As an aside to how durable and stable they are. Mine has been in the truck of my car for two weeks in -2 to -20 C temperatures. Took it out this morning, tuning was a bit flat, makes sense cold things contract. Tuned it up and played it frozen, sounded good. One hour later it is room temperature, tuning is stable and it sounds very good.
    Last edited by DownUpDave; 02-08-2020 at 09:33 AM.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields walnut pineapple super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Enya Nova *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,687

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by man0a View Post
    I am dubious that the "30% carbon fibre" is much more than a marketing gimmick. Same goes for the carbon fibre Outdoor ukulele (supposedly also 30%).

    Regarding the Transacoustic system, I wouldn't buy it unless I really wanted to amplify the ukulele, which of course some people will want to do.
    I'm not dubious - they are not claiming it's 'carbon fibre' in the normal sense. Adding fibres like this to plastics is nothing new if you want to strengthen them. They've been doing it with wear parts for years.
    The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

    Help Support Got A Ukulele!



    Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Fluke, Flea, Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany soprano, KM Ukuleles Dreadnought Concert, Brüko walnut soprano

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Capital District, New York
    Posts
    3,650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bazmaz View Post
    I'm not dubious - they are not claiming it's 'carbon fibre' in the normal sense. Adding fibres like this to plastics is nothing new if you want to strengthen them. They've been doing it with wear parts for years.
    Here's what confused me, Barry - the Enya web site states:


    Carbon Fiber Ukuleles

    The unique Enya Nova has an eye-popping design and is made of carbon fiber composite. This polycarbonate material will give your ukulele a much brighter sound. The lightweight yet durable construction provides greater resonance for such a surprisingly thin body! This incredibly resistant material is also waterproof and a breeze to clean. This ukulele is suitable for any level of player who seeks a one-of-a-kind style with the added sonic enhancements of bonded carbon atoms!
    I don't see anything about "30% carbon fibre", nor an explanation of "carbon fibre composite".


    [indent]-Kurt]/indent]
    Banjo Ukes: Southern Cross, Firefly, Stella
    Sopranos: Donaldson, Timms, Moku, Waterman, Bugsgear, Outdoor, Waverly Street, Harmony
    Concerts:Cocobolo #412, Ohana CK450QEL, CK-65D, Rosewood Vita, Mahogany Vita,
    Donaldson Custom, Epi Les Paul, National Triolian Reso, Republic
    Tenors: Kala KA-KTG-CY, KoAloha Sceptre, Fluke, Cordoba 20TM
    Bass: Fluke Timber

    Am I done?

    ...Maybe?...

    My YouTube Channel

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Twin Cities Area, Minnesota
    Posts
    2,194

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ksiegel View Post
    I don't see anything about "30% carbon fibre", nor an explanation of "carbon fibre composite".
    From the specifications on the page...

    Screen Shot 2020-02-08 at 11.54.19 PM.jpg

    I'm surprised it is 30%. I thought it was a lower percentage than that!
    My ukulele blog: http://ukestuff.info

    My ukulele YouTube channels:

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •