Enya Nova U DIY Fret Markers

Jolly_O

Reaction score
While there are many ways to accomplish the same thing, I thought that I would show how I made side fret markers on my Nova U. I took a 5/64" drill bit and gently and carefully twisted it between my fingers until it just reached the point where I had a divot as wide as the drill bit. Then with the tip of a round toothpick I dabbed a TINY amount of white paint in the divot. I must emphasize TINY, as it surprised me how little it took. I think the results are quite good (see photo).

Attachments

• fret_markers.jpg
    fret_markers.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 70
Yes, Jerryc41, I too was afraid of drilling through as have no idea of how thick the material is. I decided to play it very safe and drill using only my fingers. The material is quite soft, so I checked progress often and stopped immediately when the full width of the drill bit was reached. It left me a nice concave divot for the paint.

Yes, Jerryc41, I too was afraid of drilling through as have no idea of how thick the material is. I decided to play it very safe and drill using only my fingers. The material is quite soft, so I checked progress often and stopped immediately when the full width of the drill bit was reached. It left me a nice concave divot for the paint.

Sounds like a project for tonight. I have several that need side markers. I'll save $10 on the stick-on kind. That's half a pizza.

Looks good!

I have had nice results with stickers on these polycarbonate ukes. I used the same set of rainbow heart stickers on my Outdoor and my Nova U. Pack of 100 stickers for a buck. I had used just the tips of the hearts in the Outdoor picture, but found the entire sticker stayed on better and was easier for my old eyes to see.

Attachments

• 84357729_10222466066900296_8422148580730470400_o.jpg
    84357729_10222466066900296_8422148580730470400_o.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20160331_175946188_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160331_175946188_HDR.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 39
Looks good!

I have had nice results with stickers on these polycarbonate ukes. I used the same set of rainbow heart stickers on my Outdoor and my Nova U. Pack of 100 stickers for a buck. I had used just the tips of the hearts in the Outdoor picture, but found the entire sticker stayed on better and was easier for my old eyes to see.

That's a good idea getting non-uke stickers for $1.00, rather than paying $10 for some white dots.

While there are many ways to accomplish the same thing, I thought that I would show how I made side fret markers on my Nova U. I took a 5/64" drill bit and gently and carefully twisted it between my fingers until it just reached the point where I had a divot as wide as the drill bit. Then with the tip of a round toothpick I dabbed a TINY amount of white paint in the divot. I must emphasize TINY, as it surprised me how little it took. I think the results are quite good (see photo).

Those little white stars on the fretboard lift right off, buy the way. I removed mine before I put a graphic on the fretboard.

Last edited:
Why not go all the way, it's quite easy

Buy the dots here
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-WHITE...10:m:m-PrcioGhiInhgTS1TH3c3A&var=650038124351

And a suitable drill bit of this type
https://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product...0557351-7-Piece-Brad-Point-Wood-Drill-Bit-Set

Press the dots in with some glue using a flat piece of plastic, to get them flush.

I have also used stickers. I bought some sheets with letter, commas and periods.

That could be tricky with a hollow fretboard.

Sure, is that common? Why hollow?

Plastic ukulele necks are often hollow. Even if the plastic is thick enough, I would worry about a drill bit designed for wood causing the plastic to split.

Aah I didn't know they were plastic :) but this kind of drill could probably be used anyway, as it cuts the circumference first, which makes it such a good drillbit on precious woods and lacquered wood.

This is exactly how I do it - though I use a bit in a Pin Vise for control. But same process. Hand drill a very shallow depression - whether the uke is plastic or wood - then drop in a tiny amount of enamel or acrylic paint. Leave to dry. Job done.

Plastic ukulele necks are often hollow. Even if the plastic is thick enough, I would worry about a drill bit designed for wood causing the plastic to split.

He only created a depression in the outer plastic.

I just gave it a try with a 5/ 64" bit, and that's tiny. I'm going to try larger.

EDIT: I'm sticking with stickers. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom