Recommendations for the more advanced players

Captain America

Reaction score
Any good instructional stuff out there for the better than intermediate uke player?

I'm trying to put it all together; I've got the techniques, but pulling it together for a song is tough.

The Ukulele Way.

Beyond that you should probably look into some of the fabulous instruction for other instruments available like The Advancing Guitarist and The Groove Workshop.

Good stuff. I think I just need to jump in and play with things. As it stands, I'm tab-dependent for more advanced stuff. I'm fairly fluent, though.

Good stuff. I think I just need to jump in and play with things. As it stands, I'm tab-dependent for more advanced stuff. I'm fairly fluent, though.

I was going to mention jumping in, but I felt weird about it because I need to take the advice myself. Since it has been broached, my opinion is that you (and I) need to stop thinking and start doing. The easiest way to apply this is to commit to public performing and let the deadlines and the pressure galvanize your abilities. And I don't mean to just join some strum-along group or play some three-chord song at an open mic. I mean take something challenging and play it live for an audience.

Great point. I might be playing a St. Patrick's gig with some guys (I play guitar) and it's been a while since I've played in a group, and I know I'll need to pick out some lead stuff.

How about performing a song for the Seasons of the Ukulele contest that is held every week here? I have yet to do it, but I should. I have the same problem as you pulling it all together. I do just fine in a group and I can play and sing a few songs ok in private. I did try an open mic once and crashed and burned, but still hold out hope to break through that barrier one day.

https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/forumdisplay.php?47-Seasons-of-the-Ukulele

Most of the online stuff is for beginners. For advanced instruction you need to sign up with a top teacher who can evaluate you and then build on the skill that you already have. Many people do that online. If there are players with videos that impress you with their skill and you think you'd like to play like that, then just contact them and ask for private lessons and how much they are charging.

Top Bottom