Season 417: original favourite country shorts

here is an original I wrote for your season, Jon. I posted it and took it down to remove a photo from the first version.
Posting it again!
Thanks so much for hosting and for a great theme!:)

I am usually a very positive and affirmative person. I was chatting with Brian (Pabrizzer) the other day and we had a disagreement about whether people are essentially good (my argument) or basically selfish and greedy (his). I hold that, in my experience, most people are at heart good.... however, recent events (described in the song) have caused me to question my rosy outlook.

So here is an Acoustic Rap to exorcise some of that negativity. Hope you like:

Like many of the themes, some resonate with each of us more than others due to our individual tastes in music etc. I could spend a whole year covering Stever Earle, Townes Van Zandt and Guy Clark. Between my love for their work and their prolific outputs, there is just so much to choose from. I've done this Steve Earle song before, but never like this. I'm joined by our host Jon on this one. I sent a pretty tame take of me playing and singing Galway Girl to him and he's really transformed it into a heck of a rompin' good time. Thanks for joining me here Jon, and thanks for hosting this week as well ~

Do I have to follow that one?

OK, I'll make it easy for others

A Townes van Zandt song...

A John Darnielle song!
My own version here.

One of the options for Season of the Ukulele 417 is to play a song by one the the three Texas singer-songwriters who recorded the live the album "Together at the Bluebird Café" - Townes Van Zandt, Steve Earle and Guy Clark. I looked at the album songlist, and was pretty tempted by the opening track, "Baby Took a Limo to Memphis," but then I saw this one, "Dublin Blues". Just seemed like the thing to do. Guy Clark sure was a masterful songwriter and singer.

day four was cooler than the day before.
joo w/ a wrecking ball original and a JD song from Claremont where they do the best breakfasts ever.
john w/ some honey and gravel, TW style.
berni w/ a raw as brown onions original.
rusty w/ a heartfelt townes tune,
kev smashing it w/ a SE song
and dave. 2nd 1/4 of the bluebird rekkid? check.
killed em? check.
thanks folks. can't wait for tomorrow.

day four update:
i missed brother haberkow's version of Dublin Blues
as i was writing my blurb.
you need to hear it.
til the morrow, over and out folks.

My second contribution this week is about my recent bout with insomnia. It is largely played on a Seagull Merlin, but the instrumental break uses my Oscar Schmidt 8 String Tenor, so I hope it qualifies for this season.

Hope you enjoy:

Homegrown Tomatoes by Guy Clark. Will be fun to play for my gardening friends this summer! Totally new artist & song to me, but here goes!

Last edited:
I've never been in a band, but I've always known, that if the opportunity arose, I could find the perfect name that would guarantee instant huge success....

Top Bottom