Thread: Fremont low G / slot bridge

Default Fremont low G / slot bridge

Does anyone have advice on how to get a Fremont low G into a slot bridge? I have only used Fremont low G through the normal tie bar bridges and love them/ works well/ easy to tie. But knotting them into a skinny little slot bridge opening (Fluke/ Bruko for example) how would you accomplish this?
    "If a lot of people play the ukulele, the world would be a better place to live."

Quote Originally Posted by igorthebarbarian View Post
    Does anyone have advice on how to get a Fremont low G into a slot bridge? I have only used Fremont low G through the normal tie bar bridges and love them/ works well/ easy to tie. But knotting them into a skinny little slot bridge opening (Fluke/ Bruko for example) how would you accomplish this?
    I'd try "squaring off the edges" on the rounded knot with a file or sandpaper.

Well if you're sure you want to use low G in the future on that uke I would just file the slot wider to accommodate the greater width of the Fremont string. If you don't want to do that you could just gently enlarge the forward edge of the slot with an appropriately sized drill bit, slide the string down through the hol3 and out to then tie a knot (a simple overhand knot will be enough). In either case you may have trouble if you revert to high G, though you ought to still be able to create a large enough stopper knot even in a high G string to still hold in the enlarged slot.

I had to enlarge the slot in my Klos when I got it as they had not prepped the slotted bridge for low G as I requested. I chose to just file it wider.
    Blackbird Farallon Ekoa Tenor
    Beltona Songster Resonator Tenor
    Klos Carbon Fiber Tenor
    Magic Fluke Tenor Firefly Banjolele

I just pull the tail end hard with a needle nosed pair of pliers to get the knot nice and tight before I install and it fits ok. I wouldn't want to mess with the slot.

Quote Originally Posted by bunnyf View Post
    I just pull the tail end hard with a needle nosed pair of pliers to get the knot nice and tight before I install and it fits ok. I wouldn't want to mess with the slot.
    Same advice as above and it has worked for me.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields walnut pineapple super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Enya Nova *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

The ball end/knotted end part isn't the only potential issue, it's the part of the string past that too. I've never had trouble getting a knot into a bridge opening, but have had the slot itself too narrow.

I have widened a slot before by folding a small piece of fine grit sandpaper and carefully working it up and down...checking often to get it just wide enough to comfortably fit the string. If you ever go back to high G you'll probably have to tie a bigger knot at the end of the string to hold it in place at the now widened slot. If you try to force a fat string into a too narrow slot, you could end up cracking or damaging the bridge.
    Last edited by jer; 02-10-2020 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jer View Post
    The ball end/knotted end part isn't the only potential issue, it's the part of the string past that too. I've never had trouble getting a knot into a bridge opening, but have had the slot itself too narrow.

I have widened a slot before by folding a small piece of fine grit sandpaper and carefully working it up and down...checking often to get it just wide enough to comfortably fit the string. If you ever go back to high G you'll probably have to tie a bigger knot at the end of the string to hold it in place at the now widened slot. If you try to force a fat string into a too narrow slot, you could end up cracking or damaging the bridge.
    I have done that for unwound low G strings, too, but I don't think it's necessary for the soloist.

What I do is I use pliers to get the knot nice and tight and I apply a drop of super glue to the knot and let it dry before putting it in the slot. Letting it dry first is very important.

Glue is an idea I never considered- thanks!
    I also need to try out the Pliers as that sounds like the most popular option
    Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by robinboyd View Post
    I have done that for unwound low G strings, too, but I don't think it's necessary for the soloist.

What I do is I use pliers to get the knot nice and tight and I apply a drop of super glue to the knot and let it dry before putting it in the slot. Letting it dry first is very important.
    "If a lot of people play the ukulele, the world would be a better place to live."

Quote Originally Posted by jer View Post
    ......If you try to force a fat string into a too narrow slot, you could end up cracking or damaging the bridge.
    This is the reason I went to the trouble of widening the slot, as I thought it would be a pretty silly way to crack part of the bridge off. Of course if that happened I suppose you could just drill a hole through the top and have a string through bridge instead!
    Blackbird Farallon Ekoa Tenor
    Beltona Songster Resonator Tenor
    Klos Carbon Fiber Tenor
    Magic Fluke Tenor Firefly Banjolele

Thread Information