Banjo Ukulele Identification

ZJG

Reaction score
Hey all!

I picked up a banjolele this weekend and am trying to find any info on it. I was told it was probably from the '40s or '50s, though someone also said as early as the '30s. No brand markings on it on the outside aside from "UKULELE-BANJO" on the back. When I opened it up all I found was dust, so no help there either. It's somewhat playable though has some issues with intonation, so just trying to figure out what it is, when it's from, and maybe if it's worth getting professionally setup (or if that's even possible considering it's a little beat up). Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3243.jpg
    IMG_3243.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3244.jpg
    IMG_3244.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3245.jpg
    IMG_3245.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3246.jpg
    IMG_3246.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3269.jpg
    IMG_3269.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 24
That bridge almost looks hand cut. The tailpiece looks like it's been replaced or screwed on by hand.
Skin top?
For me, it would depend on whether I thought I'd play it as to whether I'd spend any money on it.
I've never seen one like that.

It's based on an Alvin Keech banjo uke, quite a few where made roughly copying his design. the bridge is probably a Grover maple bridge, still available today.

Thanks guys, very helpful!

Dennis, quick question:

I looked up a number of the Keech banjo ukes online, and those that look the most similar (including the wooden, not metal, inner ring) seem to be from the mid-1920s (I found a couple in particular that were from 1924). I also read that Keech stopped production in '39.

Since that's the case, do you think I could safely guess that this banjo uke is also from roughly around that time, say mid-'20s to '30s, as compared to '40s to '50s?

Thanks again!

Thanks guys, very helpful!

Dennis, quick question:

I looked up a number of the Keech banjo ukes online, and those that look the most similar (including the wooden, not metal, inner ring) seem to be from the mid-1920s (I found a couple in particular that were from 1924). I also read that Keech stopped production in '39.

Since that's the case, do you think I could safely guess that this banjo uke is also from roughly around that time, say mid-'20s to '30s, as compared to '40s to '50s?

Thanks again!

Yes, I would say almost certainly circa 20s-30s. Keech was an innovator early on and his "Banjolele" was widely copied. Worth spending a bit of time and effort to get it up to scratch. Should play pretty well.

Top Bottom