Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What Kala did...

Default What Kala did...

I don't usually complain much here.
    But now I feel a need to.
    Kala Music Co has been the world's largest seller of ukuleles for years, possibly even outselling all other companies put together when MGM was around.
    Why they would do this to their dealers I don't understand. How greedy can you get, Kala?
    I know one local dealer who's a sweet, honest, swell guy. He's not very happy about this.
    I'm sure I'm starting a storm, but I'm done buying Kala products now.
    (and I boycotted Walmart a long time ago)
    https://www.walmart.com/search/?cat_...ahead=Kala+uku
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

What do you think Kala is doing to their dealers?

They've been selling through mega music marts since before I knew they existed. They haven’t been small dealer exclusive for years. I recall the low end stuff being available at Target.

The link misleadingly implies that Kala is distributing all those ukes through WalMart. Only a few low-end Makalas and Watermans are sold there by Walmart. The rest are from mega music stores (Sam Ash, etc) using WalMart’s marketplace the same way they use Amazon and Reverb. Unless you have a specific beef with Walmart I don’t see a significant difference here.

Check again. I don't exactly call the UBass, or a $600 ziricote a low end uke.

and the link are Walmart's links, nothing misleading about them.

(Oh, and ever since Walmart came to town, ran most of my friends and my Father's friends out of business, I've had a beef with it alright. I Won't set foot in a Walmart store. Just my personal preference.)
    Last edited by Nickie; 02-10-2020 at 02:06 PM.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Oh, that's troubling. Why don't they just go whole-hog, and change the logo. Here's the entry level...the Wal-phin

Wal-phin.jpg
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    Oh, that's troubling. Why don't they just go whole-hog, and change the logo. Here's the entry level...the Wal-phin

Wal-phin.jpg
    LMAO, good one John!

“Sold and shipped by Pineville Music”, “... by GoDpsMusic”, “... by Sam Ash Music Direct

Yes, it’s a Walmart link. No, it’s not Kala selling above-entry-level ukes through Walmart.

What you found are music dealers using Walmart’s e-commerce platform the same as those music dealers use Amazon and Reverb and Ebay.

If the assertion is that Kala is now screwing the little dealers it’s by selling through the big music stores not by selling through Walmart.

Here’s your Kala link filtered to those sold by Walmart: Makalas, Watermans, and Learn-to-play packages

If you filter for Walmart as the Seller and exclude other sellers, and sort by price high - the most expensive uke Walmart directly is selling is $134.99 for the Learn to Play by Mandy Harvey. A total of 13 ukes were listed and most were Makala. I don't think ukulele distributors will necessarily by hurt by this action. I think perhaps this is a Google search issue having Walmart as a local seller listed for you. Walmart like other resellers lists items for sale by others.

My search yielded Guitar Center, Target and a small mom and pop type seller. So I'm guessing your search yielded Walmart. Don't give me Raspberries if I'm wrong.

IMHO - If I were in the market for a ukulele I would continue to buy a Kala.
    K
    Sopranos, Concerts, and Tenors including Baritone body at a Tenor Scale - 4 String, 5 String and 8 String :-)
    For Sale: Seagull Nylon String
    For Sale: National Mahogany Resonator
    For Sale: Gold Tone Resonator

Kala has nothing to do with this.

This is how Wall-Mart is trying to compete with Amazon, that's all. Wal-Mart is essentially saying, "you pay this price, we can fetch a uke for you."

With this same system, Wall-Mart is willing to sell you luxury goods like Rolexes.
    ----------------------------------
    Mainland mahogany soprano
    Kala KA-SC
    Kala La Salle tenor

the Dominican Order: to praise, to bless, to preach

Oh good, I can get a Rolex AND a Wal-phin!
    John

As stated already, the Wal-Mart site is just a marketplace like Amazon...who also sells Kala ukes. Kala sells ukes to make money. Getting in Wal-Mart is a dream for a lot of people who sell product.
    It might be different if they were making Wal-Mart their exclusive dealer all of the sudden, but that's not the case. It's just another outlet.

Here's a thought: For every person who boycotts Kala because they sell some ukes to Wal-mart, there may be a lot of other people who will get their first uke because they were exposed to it at Wal-Mart. That may lead to them seeking out a higher quality instrument eventually...whether that be from Kala or elsewhere. Of course if the uke they get is really crappy, it might also turn them off of the instrument....

Thread Information