NUD: Something a bit different

raffrox

Reaction score
So I saw this uke online with a word from the seller that they wouldn't post the ukulele and that the new owner would have to play and love it to be able to buy it. Unfortunately we're on opposite sides of Australia so that was never going to happen.

I dropped the seller a message and said that it looked a nice uke and that if he changed his mind on posting it I'd be interested. Turns out the seller is the builder and that he has only made instruments for himself and gifts for friends and family. He's never sold a uke he's made before. In the past he'd also made 6 violins, 6 ukuleles, flamenco guitar, a harp and a mountain dulcimer. For a variety of reasons he was willing to part with his personal ukulele.

We started talking in a genuine kind of way and in the end I was able to buy the uke and to have it sent across. Its a a solid koa tenor with a maple neck and ebony fretboard and tuning pegs. I've not seen a tenor with wooden tuning pegs so that's a bit different as well. Its very well made, light, responsive and has great sustain. It's a high quality instrument for sure. I'm very happy to own this ukulele and to be able to enjoy it. Especially one that I know some of the history of and that I can be part of the continuing story ...

IMG_20200211_182529.jpg IMG_20200211_182446.jpg IMG_20200211_182358.jpg

Edit: I'm having issues uploading the pics so sorry about the double photo.

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Congrats. It's a beauty. I guess you'll need to update your signature?

That is nice. I have a set of violin pegs I bought for a project many years ago and have never gotten around to using them. How are they for holding tune?

Lovely uke. Glad that it plays well. The instrument seems to be well crafted. Not too sure about the friction tuner pegs. All in all, I think you got yourself a gem.

Thanks Jerry and keenokuke yep, there'll need to be some updating.

tonyturley, they are 'interesting' to be honest. Like any friction tuning pegs, a bit fiddly but seem to be holding their tune. The luthier modeled the pegs on old style flamenco guitars which from googling look very similar and may well be the same as violin pegs. I think if I was doing a build I'm not sure if they'd be my first choice. These days we are spoilt with geared/peghead tuners etc...

Kenn, Fair call about the tuning pegs. The luthier seems to be a pretty eccentric guy and that plus the flamenco guitar idea I'm not suprised he had a preference for the wooden tuners. I'll give them a go for a while but I can see me replacing them with some peghead tuners down the track just for practical reasons.

Yeah, I'm really happy with how it plays other than it needing some new strings. My major concern with the uke was that it might be over engineered as guitar makers sometimes do when they make a uke. I asked questions and heard a sound file of it prior so I was pretty sure but when it arrived I was very glad that it wasn't over engineered at all.

Last edited:
Wow. Great looking instrument and story!

Congratulations! I love the headstock shape. Quite a lovely instrument, thanks for the story.

Bless Australia!

Very nice and I like the story that goes with it. I was looking at the violin pegs and I actually thought they were pegheds at first, so it wouldn't change the look much if you did that mod. Or keep it original if you want.

Thanks all. Much appreciated. Glenn I thought they were pegheads as well when I first saw them. I'll see if my patience allows me to keep the wooden pegs!! :)

Beautiful looking uke. Congrats!

Thanks all. Much appreciated. Glenn I thought they were pegheads as well when I first saw them. I'll see if my patience allows me to keep the wooden pegs!! :)

If you keep the pegs, see what tips you can find online for making them more usable. Last year some online tips saved me from going batty helping my wife tune her new violin! :rolleyes:

Top Bottom