Not your Grandpa's Cigar Box Uke

Very cool!! Love it with the Fender headstock.
That coffee box was actually koa or you used koa and put the graphics on?

A local engraver did the graphics with Bruce Corker's permission. Great coffee from the big island.

I see from your website that you are a pro and produce some beautiful instruments!

This is an interesting looking 'cigar box ' uke. I'm thinking you must have a router jig to make those corner joints rather than simple butt joints?

I wasn't aware that this is a Fender headstock, to me it was just unusual/different. I for one am interested to see the finished instrument and to read your impressions of the way it sounds.

It's good to see something different.

The finger joints are hand cut. It isn't a Fender headstock, although it does look a little Fenderish. It is a copy of a Kamaka headstock used by Sam Kamaka decades ago. I have built dozens of cigar box ukes, and they sound pretty good for such a small soundbox. I decided to make this one full size tenor, and use koa for the body and neck.
DSCF0061.jpg
DSCF0075.jpg
DSCF0076.jpg

Getting ready to close the box.
DSCF0104.jpg
DSCF0103.jpg

Looking good! I DO like a bit of asymmetry.

John Colter

Thanks John.
To the builders out there: Do you know what I mean by the "whooshing" sound? When the body gets attached to the neck, and you rub the headstock and you can hear that whooshing sound resonating from the sound board? You just know it is going to have a great sound when it gets strung up. This one has lots of whooooosh!

Yes, I do know what you mean, Tukanu. That dry, sibilant sound you get when handling the uke in its unfinished state. The portents are good!

John Colter

You're right, definitely not a fender headstock but I love it.
Really creative uke. Looks like it will be a lot of fun

I find it fascinating to get a good look inside the box. I hope that you have some great ideas for the rest.

I am looking forward to seeing the next stage(s). Keep us posted, will you?

No laughing, but I make cookie tin ukes and Remo head banjo ukes. Is that headstock a solid piece?
I might like to take a crack at one just for fun.
I just use hand saws, dremels and chisels to put them together, but some of them actually play pretty well.

Yes, one piece of Koa from head to heel. It is a fun shape to carve.

Yes, one piece of Koa from head to heel. It is a fun shape to carve.

Thanks. I have an old cherry chairleg I may try and chop up. No one seems to want decent hardwood furniture anymore. So much of it seems to end up in the landfill. It so sad. People seem to buy that particleboard Ikea crap

Vertical head stocks work very well, but seem a bit weird the first time you use one. If you don't fancy carving the whole neck in one piece, I can recommend a two piece solution. Just a slot in each piece, and the resulting joint is very strong and stable.

This is the first one I made, back in 2009. I decided to use a zero fret and to do without a nut. The construction is self explanatory.

John ColterVertical head stock - Oct 2009.jpg

Interesting headstock, John. Very much the same idea. You are right about tuning....you crank the tuner on one side of the head and a string on the opposite side tunes up.

Vertical head stocks work very well, but seem a bit weird the first time you use one. If you don't fancy carving the whole neck in one piece, I can recommend a two piece solution. Just a slot in each piece, and the resulting joint is very strong and stable.

This is the first one I made, back in 2009. I decided to use a zero fret and to do without a nut. The construction is self explanatory.

John ColterView attachment 125380

ooohhh I like that one too. I may try and pirate that idea too. Thanks

1. Fret board glued down...note the steel bar for keeping the fret board flat while the glue sets.
2. The back is braced on a 96" radius disc.
3. Closing the box.
DSCF0106.jpg
DSCF0105.jpg
DSCF0108.jpg

. You are right about tuning....you crank the tuner on one side of the head and a string on the opposite side tunes up.
That would totally freak me out :p

Top Bottom