D'Addario Nylon Tenor Strings Low G:

JJFN

Reaction score
I just changed the strings on my Ko'olau tenor. I've installed the D'Addario Clear Nylon Tenors Low G. As expected they are taking a while to stretch out. Also, they aren't the easiest strings to install, they seem to have a mind of their own.

However, when they manage to stay in tune through an entire song, they have a great sound. Very warm sound with the Koa body of my Ko'olau.
I was pleasantly surprised with the sound, first time with nylon, so I didn't know what to expect. Hard to really rate them until they settle down, but I will be playing these for a good while. They sound great with jazz and big band type songs. Obviously this is very subjective, subject to our acoustics, hearing and many other factors.

Nice. I like nylon strings too, but don't always use them. I don't like the extra stretching, less tuning stability, being affected by temperature, etc. Sometimes they are worth it though to get the sound and feel you want.

Depending on the instrument, I use both fluorocarbon and nylon strings (and some composites as well). Yes, nylon generally takes longer to stretch out and stabilize but, once fully stretched, I've haven't found them less stable than fluorocarbon and composites. Plus, not all nylons are the same. For example, Savarez Cristal nylon stretches and stabilize nearly as quickly as fluorocarbon. Sometimes I use a D'Addario composite as a C string and it stretches and stabilizes faster than fluorocarbon! However, nylon is softer and more subject to wear than fluorocarbon. I love a smooth and resonate string so I tend to change them frequently...

I just changed the strings on my Ko'olau tenor. I've installed the D'Addario Clear Nylon Tenors Low G. As expected they are taking a while to stretch out. Also, they aren't the easiest strings to install, they seem to have a mind of their own.

Is the low G also plain Nylon, or is it a silver wound or other material?

Top Bottom