Hug Strap Anyone?

Puglele

Reaction score
I’m considering getting a hug strap, which doesn’t require any buttons. I got several ukes that don’t have buttons, and I think it will be easier to get one hug strap that can be used on all of them, instead of installing buttons.
My concern is that the strap will go through the sound hole, it may affect the volume by blocking the sound hole.
What do you guys think? Anyone used it before?

I add strap buttons myself to all my ukes (9) that don't come with them, and each uke has it's own strap. I use all leather straps because I don't want buckles that might dent the finish. They're 1 1/2" wide with rough inside to keep them from slipping, made by Levy's Leathers and only cost $12 to $14 US.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 6 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 41)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Last edited:
I’m considering getting a hug strap, which doesn’t require any buttons. I got several ukes that don’t have buttons, and I think it will be easier to get one hug strap that can be used on all of them, instead of installing buttons.
My concern is that the strap will go through the sound hole, it may affect the volume by blocking the sound hole.
What do you guys think? Anyone used it before?

Jake used a strap that attached to the soundhole. The attachment was a crescent-shaped piece "clip" that distributed the pressure over more of the area than a simple plastic clip. I vaguely remember seeing it listed someplace for around $45(?)

Since I use straps on all of my tenors, I will install buttons if the uke doesn't have them.

When stored in a tight-fitting hardcase, which is virtually all of them, I will remove the strap. The weave of the material can get impressed into the finish if left under pressure for a while. Dunno how long. Several people on these forums noticed that the cloth strap in the hard cases that prevents the tops from flopping backwards, were leaving indented patterns in their ukulele finishes. It was subtle, but definitely there. I checked, and sure enough, it happened on one of my ukes. So, I don't leave the strap on if the uke will be in the case longer than a day. Why take the chance?

Hug Straps are well-made and look very nice. They can be used in a variety of configurations. I'm ashamed to say that I've never been able to figure out how to use mine. Go to a uke fest, and you'll see lots of people using them.

The Hug Strap wraps around the waist of the uke, but it does not interfere with the strings at all. It does not snap into the sound hole. Melissa, the inventor of the strap, is pictured on the page linked below. I'll have to take mine out and play around with it.

https://www.thehugstrap.com/pages/about-the-hug-strap

I add strap buttons myself to all my ukes (9) that don't come with them, and each uke has it's own strap. I use all leather straps because I don't want buckles that might dent the finish. Their 1 1/2" wide with rough inside to keep them from slipping, made by Levy's Leathers and only cost $12 to $14 US.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 6 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 41)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Where do you get smaller strap buttons? I think guitar buttons would be too big and look awkward.

I'd never heard of a "Hug Strap", but from the photo I sure don't think it puts the uke into a very efficient playing position. Looks as if it is shifted way to the player's right. Might be OK for strumming, but awkward for finger picking.

The_Hug_Strap-39-2_large.jpg

I really don't understand the aversion so many uke players have to installing strap buttons.

Where do you get smaller strap buttons? I think guitar buttons would be too big and look awkward.

Strap holes and buttons vary in size very little. When uke a holes are too tight, I just work them a bit to enlarge them. I don't like putting too much pressure on the strap button.

I'd never heard of a "Hug Strap", but from the photo I sure don't think it puts the uke into a very efficient playing position. Looks as if it is shifted way to the player's right. Might be OK for strumming, but awkward for finger picking.

I really don't understand the aversion so many uke players have to installing strap buttons.

Didn’t think it would affect finger picking. Now I start to feel concerned for it too.
It’s not the cheapest strap, costs like 30+. So I need to make sure I will use it!

Hug Straps are well-made and look very nice. They can be used in a variety of configurations. I'm ashamed to say that I've never been able to figure out how to use mine. Go to a uke fest, and you'll see lots of people using them.

The Hug Strap wraps around the waist of the uke, but it does not interfere with the strings at all. It does not snap into the sound hole. Melissa, the inventor of the strap, is pictured on the page linked below. I'll have to take mine out and play around with it.

https://www.thehugstrap.com/pages/about-the-hug-strap

Let me know if you actually like it;););)

The picture of the model holding the uke like an 80s wanbabee rock star is reason enough to turn me off this kind of strap. Maybe it looks cool for kids but is just terrible posture and prevents good playing.

I rather invest in a good uke stand than use a strap.

Last edited:

Strap holes and buttons vary in size very little. When uke a holes are too tight, I just work them a bit to enlarge them. I don't like putting too much pressure on the strap button.

I buy all my buttons online, and yes, they come in various sizes. I also add strap buttons to my bass ukes/mini bass guitars, which are a bit larger.

Why not use this strap? It's sets the ukulele in a favorable position. The only disadvantage is you can't let go of the ukulele.

On the cheaper ones, the "hook" can be a bit too high, but I iron them down.

souldier-ukulele-strap-anouk-burgundytaupe-2.jpg

I normally use a neck classical guitar strap that is shortened. I do want to buy an electric which will obviously need something like a Hug strap. I am wanting the tie dye one for it(the uke is pink).

"Cocobolo Guitar Strap Buttons with Mother of Pearl Dot" from Amazon. Pricey but beautiful. I put them on both my high-end ukes.
Just get strap buttons and be done with it. They work. Simple. If you're afraid of installing them yourself, not an unreasonable fear BTW, have a shop do it. You're agonizing over a simple thing.

Last edited:
Why not use this strap? It's sets the ukulele in a favorable position. The only disadvantage is you can't let go of the ukulele.

On the cheaper ones, the "hook" can be a bit too high, but I iron them down.

View attachment 125198

This looks certainly more reasonable than the HUG strap. I actually have one of these in one of my uke cases but never had the need to use it.

For a super cheap plastic uke I used a leather bootlace tied around the waist and headstock like the Hug promo picture shown in this thread. As others have said it makes the uke slide backward too far, making it awkward to play.

I have strap buttons on every uke I own, located on the bottom and on the heel of the neck, treble side like acoustic guitars. Even sopranos greatly benefit from this set up if you are a strap user. I respect and admire those that can play well without a strap, I ain’t one of those people.. :p

Do you have a link for ukulele sized buttons?

One size fits all because you're dealing with a strap, not an instrument. From my experience, all strap holes are small and tight. I stretch them out before I use them. You can also get locking strap buttons. They snap on easily, and you push or pull a button to remove them.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=ukulele+straP+buttons&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=locking+ukulele+straP+buttons&ref=nb_sb_noss

Top Bottom