Tenor Neck Flea

Status
Not open for further replies.

ukulately

Reaction score
I have here a Tenor Neck Flea with the "tiki" patterned top. It's in excellent, virtually new condition. Comes with the Cinch sack. I have a Koaloha T2 in coming so this has to go.

Trades considered. Would love a Goldtone BUB.

Otherwise 240usd or 350aud (I'm in Australia) negotiable.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Thought I'd give this a bump.
I'm negotiable and considering trades.

I'll add that the tenor Flea is no longer a regular production item, so this is a bit of a rarity. A concert Tiki Flea with the hardwood fretboard sells for $357, so this is a bargain.

Aye, although mine doesn't have the wood fret board ...

These tenor neck Fleas are awesome....and rare!
I’m so sorry I let mine go.

Good deal. I already have a Concert Flea.

The Magic Fluke line sounds better than a lot of ukes IMHO.

If I weren't looking for a solid wood uke, I would get this. GL!

I'm also up for trades. Tenor scale and longer I think really. Solid body anybody?

The white fret markers fooled me.

Well, I assume it's not the wood fretboard, although it has a woodgrain appearance. I guess that's genuine imitation woodlike substance ...?

Anyway, little bump before I take it to the 'bay. AUD is very weak atm so make me an offer - bang for your buck!

Well, I assume it's not the wood fretboard, although it has a woodgrain appearance. I guess that's genuine imitation woodlike substance ...?

Anyway, little bump before I take it to the 'bay. AUD is very weak atm so make me an offer - bang for your buck!

The pictures you posted are pretty small, but it looks like it has metal frets. If so, then it has a wooden fretboard, and that is a pretty big deal. When I buy one of these, that's a deal maker/breaker. The hardwood board is a $70 option. I had Magic Fluke put hardwood boards on two Flukes for me - big difference.

I bought mine used, and it came with the PegHed tuners and wooden fretboard.

101.jpg

Last edited:
The pictures you posted are pretty small, but it looks like it has metal frets. If so, then it has a wooden fretboard, and that is a pretty big deal. When I buy one of these, that's a deal maker/breaker. The hardwood board is a $70 option. I had Magic Fluke put hardwood boards on two Flukes for me - big difference.

I bought mine used, and it came with the PegHed tuners and wooden fretboard.

View attachment 125687

Do you think the wooden fretboard is a must?

Which of the add-ons did you go with?

IME, the wooden fretboard feels better, and has slightly taller frets; the metal frets are easier to see. Some owners of the standard plastic fretboard models paint the plastic frets with a silver Sharpie to make them more visible.

That's a good idea. I saw they offer a spruce top now, but all the addons make it expensive haha.

IME, the wooden fretboard feels better, and has slightly taller frets; the metal frets are easier to see. Some owners of the standard plastic fretboard models paint the plastic frets with a silver Sharpie to make them more visible.

Yes, Yes, Yes, and Yes.

I did something unusual. I put a standard Amazon wooden fretboard on my Fluke. It is longer, and the fret spacing is totally different. In addition, the Fluke comes with a zero fret, so I had to glue a nut in place and put the bridge I bought into a slightly different location. The graphic is a picture I found online and printed on sticky vinyl. I decided not to cut out the sound hole. Instead, I cut out a soundport shaped like a fluke (the fish). And, of course, a Space Fluke needs a spaceman tuner. :D

The Flea and Fluke are good ukes for experimenting.

103.jpg

102.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, Yes, Yes, and Yes.

I did something unusual. I put a standard Amazon wooden fretboard on my Fluke. It is longer, and the fret spacing is totally different. In addition, the Fluke comes with a zero fret, so I had to glue a nut in place and put the bridge I bought into a slightly different location. The graphic is a picture I found online and printed on sticky vinyl. I decided not to cut out the sound hole. Instead, I cut out a soundport shaped like a fluke (the fish). And, of course, a Space Fluke needs a spaceman tuner. :D

The Flea and Fluke are good ukes for experimenting.

View attachment 125703

View attachment 125704

I have to do that. I wonder why the spacing was different on the frets. I'm thinking of replacing the top of mine with some sitka spruce as well. Only thing you didnt change was the saddle!

I have to do that. I wonder why the spacing was different on the frets. I'm thinking of replacing the top of mine with some sitka spruce as well. Only thing you didnt change was the saddle!

Magic Fluke makes fretboards that are appropriate for their instruments. I was lucky that I could get a "standard" board to work - without the zero fret. Yes, I did have to replace the saddle. If you want a different top, I would send it to Magic Fluke. Otherwise, it will be a guessing game how to take it apart and put it back together. Removing the bridge is a challenge, depending on what kind you have. Some have an integrated saddle, and some use a separate saddle. The bridge with the separate saddle comers in two parts. The base is screwed onto the top from inside (before the top is attached). Then the actual bridge is snapped onto that.

I think this is the Fluke that had the fretboard practically falling off, so something had to be done. It was attached only up by the nut. (I bought it used.)

Do you think the wooden fretboard is a must?

Which of the add-ons did you go with?

I like their Fleas and Flukes to be at least concert size. I think I have one of their tenors, but the rest are concerts. A wooden fretboard is important to me. I like the looks and the metal frets. I think I've changed the tuners on all of my Fleas and Flukes. They are either Gotoh of geared, facing backwards. I really don't like direct pegs. I turn them either too much or too little. One thing about Gotohs on a Magic anything - you have to ream the hole pretty large, and that doesn't leave a lot of wood in the headstock. It hasn't been a problem, though.

I'm not a fan of PegHed tuners. They expensive, long, and adjusting is finicky. You push in to tighten them and pull out to loosen them. The added soundport is not and not very expensive. I have a Woodie Fluke with the sound port.

The people who run Magic Fluke are extremely nice, so don't hesitate to call or email with any questions. You might know that you can give them a picture, and they will put it on the top of an instrument.

When I put Gotohs on a Tiny Tenor (or maybe an XS Soprano), I put those very small tuners onto a Fluke, and they were perfect. I wonder if Romero would sell their tuners separately. It could get pretty expensive buying a whole uke just to get the tuners. :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom