Considering new uke but is it just UAS?

pdale

Reaction score
Hi all,

New here, and newish to ukuleles. About a year in with my Cordoba UP100 mahogany laminate uke and have been pretty content as a casual player until recently. I had been playing more, getting ready to participate with my jam group in a performance event for Uke Day, and started noticing an annoying little twang or buzz on the second and sometimes 3rd fret of my A string. Don't notice it all the time, but now that I have heard it, well, you know it just kind of sticks out like a sore thumb. I can't unhear it.....

So, that, coupled with having always felt that the sound of the uke was pleasant but quite soft, I am wondering if it is time to just go ahead and up my game a bit. I figure that it might cost half what I paid for the uke ($80) to have a professional re-setup to take care of the buzz. Soooo.... I started window shopping in the $200-300 range.

Having listened to a lot of Youtube demos, those solid Koa ukuleles seem to have a noticeably more lovely tone than most of the field. Am I hearing that right? Not that they are in my budget, but they sure sounded beautiful.

Questions:

First, will I get a noticeable improvement in tone etc with a solid wood top or not that much better? I was thinking Cedar to get a little more volume, brightness and sustain.

Second, are there any makes or models that you would recommend to give me a reasonable bump up in sound? (The closest I can get to Jake Shim's sound for under $300... :))

Third, should this casual player just go ahead and get my uke fixed and avoid the swirling vortex? I am really more of a singer than a player, so don't expect to get too much past strumming, unless I suddenly get over my inability to walk and chew gum at the same time.... Singing does take priority, but I do enjoy my uke playing too. And I do appreciate a pretty and great sounding instrument. (Let's face it, that matte finish UP100 is just flat homely.) Spending the money is not an issue. But spending it and not noticing much difference is. I hate buyer's remorse. Thoughts?

Meantime, I will probably start haunting the local chain music stores for some hands on. But am reticent since that's how I bought my current uke. It played fine but I had very little to compare it to and wouldn't know a good set up from bad, most likely.

By the way, I have been on Mim's website quite a bit and have heard good things about her on this forum. Would definitely consider buying from her if I take the plunge.

Thanks,

Dale

“Do I NEED a new ukulele or is it UAS?” That is always the question. I have been thrilled with some of my forays and disappointed in others. As my skills have gotten better I appreciate new aspects of my old favorites and/or discover why the uke I disregarded in the past is actually pretty awesome. I think it’s worthwhile to find a ukulele that your voice sings well with. And one that your ear loves. Good luck on the journey.

If I were in your position, I’d spring for a solid mahogany or acacia uke from Mainland or similar. The Kala KA-ACP-CTG (solid cedar top, laminated acacia back and sides) might also be worth a look.

My recommendation is to get a new one. Your Cordoba can be a backup or a travel uke or one for someone else to use if you want to introduce them to ukes.

Going up from a beginner uke makes a difference in sound. Not a great leap, but if just a little better, you will enjoy it everytime you strum a chord or pick a note. Going with Mim is the right thinking. Expand your thinking and call her to help recommend what will suit you well for where you are coming from and going to. Maybe an Ohana at the $280 price range. She can also help guide the model/wood choices.

I play my uke daily so maybe use it more than most items except my bed and eyeglasses. Spending on a nicer uke does not need to be justified but is justified!

How dry is your area? If the RH is super low, say 10%, in the summer, you will need to humidify a solid uke at least to 45%. Laminated ukuleles are far more tolerant of dry climates. If you don't humidify a solid Koa ukulele it may start to crack.

First, I love UAS, to me it's not an affliction, it's having great fun. When I first started playing ukulele 7 years ago, in the first year I accumulated 16 ukes, but when Mim recommended a Kala solid cedar top with acacia koa body, cutaway and preamp/pickup that cost $360 and I tried it, I was sold. So I culled my collection to 4 of my best, with the Kala becoming my go to gig uke, and still is. I say go for it.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 6 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 41)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

far from uas as I estimate since it is just a second uke, especially when you are looking to level up your game. You can get an inspection from a local tech to see if the neck is twisted or bent if you are afraid to spend the money. It might get you a player for significantly cheaper. Do you need to plug it in or are you planning to use a microphone? Your current one is probably not worth the cost of getting a pickup installed. Also consider how rough you are going to be with your ukes. Your current one is a good choice for a "beater" to take to beaches/campouts, and I would recommend getting a hard case sooner or later for the better uke. Ukes in cases are easier to keep humidified and prevent damage. You probably want to take both to the gig just in case. You never know what might happen. One might take longer to warm up or a string might give an issue.

TLDR summary: get the better uke now as you need a performer. Sooner rather than later get a case for the better one. Eventually get an inspection/set up for the back up beater uke.

Dale,

I am more into singing than playing the uke. But, I am trying to get much better with my playing. Because, the more I can do on the instrument, the better I can accompany my voice.

I think you will find that with a move up to a better instrument, it will be a more musical uke and will fit better with your singing. A little less harsh. A little better sounding. Probably even a little easier and more fun to play. Mim should have several solid ukes that will be great for accompaniment.

My Ohana TK-50G solid cedar/rosewood tenor was a sizeable step up from my all-laminate Fender Nohea. Easier to play. Smoother, richer sound. Especially with fluorocarbon strings. Ohana, Mainland, Flight, all have models that should fill your need and price range. Or, think about used and get more bang for your buck. (Make sure it's been professionally setup if you go used.)

Good luck & have fun.

First off.......yes you will notice a difference in sound going from an all laminate ukulele to a solid wood. There is also pride of ownership, a nice gloss finish over beautiful wood is a lovely thing to behold.

The recommendation of Mainland all solid mahogany is a good one, top notch instruments and service. They also make a cedar top with rosewood back and side (all solid and in your price range) a friend has that one in baritone size.

Mims is also an no-brainer choice for wonderful product selection and service. If you can afford it stretching your budget to $500 or so really opens up the possibilities.

Change the strings, that might fix your buzzing problem and it will sound like a new uke! You can try Martin strings, they are usually stocked at your local music store for around $5. A better option, IMHO would be Living Water, they are twice the price but worth it. I change strings once a year and more often on my main players. Feel under the 3rd fret on the 1st string and if you feel a little groove by where the fret is, you need new strings. Of course as suggested above a Mainland would be a great choice, I would also recommend an Islander, they're laminate, but the 2 I've had are very good players.

If you want to make the jump to an all solid uke, this one looks nice. It's in your price range, and HMS will give it a top notch set-up. A solid wood uke does take more care. You will probably need a hard case & humidifier depending on where you live. Change the strings on your Cordoba and keep it as your travel/back-up/loaner.

https://www.theukulelesite.com/shop...-solid-cedar-pau-ferro-concert-ka-ascp-c.html

I have 77 ukes, so if you ask me if you should buy one, you can guess how I would answer. :D

You have to decide why you are buying. I buy because a reasonably-priced uke comes highly recommended - not because I need another uke. I am also drawn to ukes because of their unique appearance. If you are looking for a uke with great sound, read reviews. Go to gotaukulele.com. Also, read this post that summarizes the high sound ratings from that site. One nice thing about having several ukuleles is being able to switch from one to the other and experience the different feel and sound.

https://forum.ukuleleunderground.co...aukulele-s-Highest-Rating-for-quot-Sound-quot

Change the strings, that might fix your buzzing problem and it will sound like a new uke! You can try Martin strings, they are usually stocked at your local music store for around $5. A better option, IMHO would be Living Water, they are twice the price but worth it. I change strings once a year and more often on my main players. Feel under the 3rd fret on the 1st string and if you feel a little groove by where the fret is, you need new strings. Of course as suggested above a Mainland would be a great choice, I would also recommend an Islander, they're laminate, but the 2 I've had are very good players.

I agree with a string change first. If that doesn’t work, then check into (and price) a repair. Nothing wrong with buying a new uke, but there’s no reason to ditch your first one if it’s still a good instrument.

Nope, not even remotely UAS. Everybody is entitled to at least a dozen 'ukulele. Each instrument has it's own sound and feel so feel free to own as many as will fit in your humble abode.

Yeah. What he said. Except that owning a dozen might qualify you for UAS, which for many is a badge of honor. The proper number of ukes to own is one more.

And seriously, in your price range and if you live in mainland US, I would suggest talking with Mim. Having bought from her and then watching her set up the ukulele, I came to realize how important a good setup is. She's very busy, but seems to find time to help everyone. If you can spend more than $400, then you can also add HMS into the mix. They're in Hawaii, and don't charge for shipping on orders over $400.

How many ukes over what period of time constitutes UAS? Not looking for testimonials, they prove nothing and that discussion just leads to six pages of humblebragging. I'm looking for a definitive number.

Keep in mind: If you buy from someone like Mim, you'll get a well set up ukulele, which is very important. And, check out return policies. If you buy one, and then think that it's not really an improvement over what you've already got, (which I'm guessing won't happen, especially if it's well set up), you have a short window in which you can return the ukulele. You'll be out shipping costs, and some places will charge a restocking fee, (can't recall Mim's policy, but she can tell you), but if does mean that if you think it was a mistake to buy a new ukulele, you have a chance to return it and get some/most of your money back. Or, you can resell it here on UU.

That said, my personal opinion is that an upgrade to a better quality ukulele is well worth it. You're clearly enjoying playing, so why not go for better quality and a well set up ukulele, as long as it's in the budget?

Of course, I have suffered from UAS, to put that in context. :)

I do seem to be cured of UAS now, though. I still enjoy browsing on-line, but what I have now is perfect for me, and it has made playing so much more fun than when I was "making do" with what I had.

How many ukes over what period of time constitutes UAS? Not looking for testimonials, they prove nothing and that discussion just leads to six pages of humblebragging. I'm looking for a definitive number.

I'm not sure if this should be a separate thread or not, but I think that the number of ukuleles one owns before it's called UAS is individual. For some people, 2 would be UAS. For others, a variety might be appropriate, (different tunings, different sizes, acoustic vs. electric, uke banjo, resonator banjo, and so on.)

Much of UAS, for me, has been trying to find what works best for me. By trying various ukuleles, I found that some work better than others for me, (cranky fingers make the neck a big factor, for example), and since this hobby is a big focus of my free time, I'm glad that I can really enjoy it with the right ukuleles. I've sold the ones that didn't work well for me, and am at a point where I don't think I'm likely to buy any more to try...though you never know, I guess. :)

I'm not sure if this should be a separate thread or not, but I think that the number of ukuleles one owns before it's called UAS is individual. For some people, 2 would be UAS. For others, a variety might be appropriate, (different tunings, different sizes, acoustic vs. electric, uke banjo, resonator banjo, and so on.)

Much of UAS, for me, has been trying to find what works best for me. By trying various ukuleles, I found that some work better than others for me, (cranky fingers make the neck a big factor, for example), and since this hobby is a big focus of my free time, I'm glad that I can really enjoy it with the right ukuleles. I've sold the ones that didn't work well for me, and am at a point where I don't think I'm likely to buy any more to try...though you never know, I guess. :)
Well the title asked if it is just a new uke or if it is UAS, so I just thought that it is hard to answer that particular question without having a definitive measure for UAS. So my question seems relevant to the his question.

You are definitely right, that $80 repair/setup is not reasonable for a cheap uke. However, I would encourage you to try analyze and fix the "problem" yourself. This may not be difficult and the process will be a valuable learning experience and help you understand the construction of ukes even if the repair is beyond your skill level or if you don't have the tools to do it. As for upgrading, it's probably a good idea as I am guilty as charged of owning multiple ukes. But I doubt that going into the $200 to $300 range will guarantee you a significant improvement, as these are still mass-produced units where unit-to-unit quality differences are usually much larger than from brand to brand or model to model. So if you can't go to a well-stocked store and hand-pick your uke but have to buy online, then it can be anything from a lot better to pretty much the same to what you already have. For me, the big improvements come with ukes that are made in relatively small workshops that have a solid quality control and set-up at the end of the production process. Those ukes tend to start around $700. It may be worth your while to hang in there and save your money for the "real thing".

Top Bottom