Aquila ukulele sugar strings: are there available a few haters because squeack noise?

well, I will add on the envelope a small gold or yellow star written: 'squeckless'.
So will be iImpossible to confond the new ones with the old version.
However before to go ahead I wait the verdict of all the Sugar string haters!
Take care
Mimmo
Stevia ? ja, in my cappucino dude...

Thanks for even consider it, Mimmo.

I love your strings (the white, black, red, and translucent ones)

Eugenio

Hi All, Mimmo...PLEASE do not stop production of the original sugars... I luv em... i do not find the squeak an issue.. Love the volume, girth, punch and projection. They are a solid all round performance string (my opinion of course). They have become my string of choice on all my ukes. Please forewarn if the old strings are going out of production so i can invest in a number of sets before hand!!!

Mimmo,

I'm not a fan of the squeak, but I'm a fan of the string. The Elise Ecklund Flight Travel Soprano Ukulele ships with Aquila Sugars and sounds amazing. The others ship with your Super Nylgut, and while that is an perfectly wonderful string, it brings out other characteristics on those ukuleles. I wish they all shipped with the Sugars.

I'm also a fan of the feel and look of fluorocarbons, so I'm so glad that the Sugars are available. Which reminds me...I need to go order some packs of Sugars for concert instruments! Off to Strings By Mail.

I'm also a big fan of the current sugars.
I have an early Gibson tenor with spruce top and mahogany back and sides that sounded very good with flurocarbons.
But I always wanted a little more "volume, girth, punch and projection" as Banjo Byham said - especially girth: strings always felt thin on the Gibson. Apart from going to nylon strings, or ridiculously thick fluros, I had to settle.
Until Sugars!! They brought my Gibby to life. (the squeak isn't noticeable after a while)
Mimmo, eliminating the squeak would be nice, but please don't change the other wonderful properties of the Sugars.

This may tempt me to try Aquila strings again. Sugars sounded good, but the squeak was a deal breaker. Thanks to Mimmo for continuing to innovate and support the ukulele community.

I am looking forward to these!

Thanks for the update, mimmo! I actually thought the strings were in the mail already, but it's good to know I don't need to expect them just yet. :)

Hey Mimmo, sory this is off topic, do you still make Reds?

I'm looking forward to buying some!

I don't like correcting spelling and your English is infinitely better than my Italian, but for the sake of making the word permanent on a label, it should be spelled "Squeakless". :)

I am a fan of the Sugars. First put a set on my concert Flea and really liked what I was hearing. Put a second set on my KoAloha Pineapple and...Wow! What a punch! As to the squeak, I noticed it at first, not from the fretting hand but my strumming hand as I lightly brushed the strings. The squeak is gone now that they have settled. It seemed like the stretching of the strings stretched the squeak out of them. At this rate I may end up with Sugars on all my ukuleles. I will be interested to see what the “new” Sugars will sound like. Thank you Mimmo, for always looking forward and thinking outside of the box.
Peace through ukulele,
Joe

Mimmo,

In the video the strings appear to be white. Is that just the lighting, or have you moved away from the Clear Sugar construction.

Hi Guys,
-the color cannot be clear and transparent like glass: the special ingredient make the string similar to silk (but not white like nylgut and not opaque); still trasparent however.
-the reds series are always in production
-the sound is even better: there is a bit more expressivity (vibrato is far better). Some italian testers told me that the sound had very few changes so di not worry
- Squeackless is the good english? Ok!
Grazie
Mimmo

Last edited:
I'm wondering if anyone else has received their test strings yet. Mine arrived today. I don't know if I've ever been this excited to test out some strings. :D Will report back later (and I'll also email Mimmo/Aquila directly about the test as well).

Can't wait to hear!

all the testers should receive that samples. These samples are called so: 50. next week I should be able to send to the testers the version 40. Then after all the feedbacks of the testers (that are all real sugar haters due to the squeack) I will keep the final decision: the 40 or the 50??
The verdict is very close guys. stay tuned.
Mimmo

Top Bottom