Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Aquila ukulele sugar strings: are there available a few haters because squeack noise?

Caldogno, Northen Italy (50 Km far from Venice)

hello guys, testers
    news in matter of the samples sent you?
    Grazie
    Mimmo

Mimmo, got mine today. Testing will begin shortly, thanks.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by mimmo View Post
    hello guys, testers
    news in matter of the samples sent you?
    Grazie
    Mimmo
    I actually just sent you an email about my experience with the new strings. I'll post the main part of my message below for everyone else to see as well:

From what I remember, the squeakiness for the new strings is noticeably reduced compared to the original sugar strings. I don't feel the squeakiness on my fretting hand at all, and on my strumming/picking hand the feel of the strings is now much closer to nylgut strings. I can feel a little bit of squeak particularly on my thumb if I play the strings very softly but it is hardly noticeable in normal playing. However, I did notice this only after a couple of play sessions which makes me wonder if it's because the "anti-squeak" has worn off, but I don't exactly know how the "anti-squeak" was applied to the strings so it's hard for me to say for certain.

Other things I noticed: Compared to the original sugar strings, the new strings feel slightly more slippery or smooth but not overly so. As I said before, the feel is closer to nylgut strings. Definitely playable. From what I remember, the strings felt like they took a bit longer to settle than the original strings but I'm not completely sure about this. I didn't notice a difference in sound but it's difficult to say for absolute certainty without a side-by-side comparison.

For those who didn't get the chance to participate in the testing, I'll say that the colour of the string has changed slightly. They are now whiter and more opaque than the original sugar strings which look very much like fluorocarbon strings. Closer to nylguts in looks as well. Overall, I think they are an improvement but I suppose your enjoyment of them would still depend on how easily you would notice the slight squeakiness they still have. I'm interested to see if Mimmo will develop this "anti-squeak" feature further.

Do you find the strings to be the same gauge as before?

I don't have anything to measure them with but the gauge does feel similar. I'm certain that at least the new strings aren't thicker than the old ones. Maybe Mimmo can answer that directly.

Any thoughts on tone and volume? The original strings were really very lively with a lot of ring and projection.
    Last edited by EDW; 03-09-2020 at 02:29 PM.

Mimmo,

Mine arrived today. Will let you know soon. Thanks!
    SOPRANOS: • 1920s Gibson UKE1 (Olympian label) • 1930s Martin 2M • Ohana SK-28 ‘Nunes’ • Flea koa • Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany • Famous FS-1
    CONCERTS: • Martin C1K • Enya Nova U (blue) • Ohana CK-50WG (solid cedar top) • Firefly maple banjolele • Makala MK-CE
    OBJETS D'ART: • Vintage 'Mauna Loa' c. 1925 soprano • Kahuna "Felix the Cat" soprano • Woodrow "Steelers" soprano

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

Strung up my solid mahogany tenor yesterday, to test the new Sugars that Mimmo sent. Unfortunately, the A string broke near the nut as I was first bringing it up to tension. I replaced it with a spare Nylgut I had. So, I can't give a full review yet, as Mimmo is sending me a couple more A strings, so I'll have a full set. However, I can say that these new Sugars have no squeak at all, and feel fast, with a smooth texture, like flouro strings. Color looks somewhere between flouro and Nylgut. Now, one day after install, they sound full, sweet and clear, very different than Nylguts, which I usually find too middy and dull. YMMV. Looking forward to having a full set on there, but so far, they seem like great strings.
    John

I purchased a set of 155U tenor LG sugars almost 6 months ago and have them on my Kala solid acaia. The initial squeak was soon overcome by using a drop of Talc on my fingers (and a very light dusting rubbed onto the strings), this is something i have been doing for well over 30 years as it provides me with a consistent tone, volume etc, and i continue to do it when i feel it’s necessary. Its not the strings that change, its the fingers, for example i always rub a drop of talc on after washing my hands, it takes a few seconds from a small container kept at hand. Am i the only one who does this or are there others? This Uke is played at least 2 hours a day every day. I have become TOTALY sold on these sugars

Obviously, its not all about how good the instrument is ......Bad Strings can Mask what would otherwise be a quality sound from a good instrument.
    What i expect from a good string set up :-
    How they sound =Power, Punch, projection, crispness, clarity, sustain, resonance,
    How they play, (Playability) = Flexibility, Firmness, Barring, consistency, balance, Uniformity, (can all strings can be heard when strummed), do all strings shine through.
    How they Feel, (touch) = smoothness, do they allow the fingers to run along the strings without feeling too unpleasant. Do they add to my playing experience. Do they make me want to continually pick the instrument up and keep playing it.
    How they stretch and bed in. Do they hold a tuning.
    How they look (Appearance) = Do they look good Do they enhance the appearance of my Instrument.
    How they wear = How long do they last before needing replacement.
    I can say without doubt, these strings DEFINITELY tick all the above box's for me. There are strings that i have not tried (but i have tried many) and i have no doubt that for my style, these shine above all others.
    I am extremely interested to see the comments/ Reviews from those who received them but so far there has been little feedback. I imagine it might take some time....In the meantime i have just purchased another 5 sets of my favourite sugars and will get more.
    One question Memmo, why ask the sugar haters to trial them...? Why not get a good even feedback from the lovers as well?
    As i say i am very interested in the findings of the testers and how they perform. Everyone has their favourites but look forward to reviews as to just how do these strings stack up against others The current sugars sound amazingly clear clean and crisp (especially up the neck) and have a fantastic chime and ring.
    So apart from colour, are the new Sugars IDENTICAL and has the Squeak gone.

Caldogno, Northen Italy (50 Km far from Venice)

hey Dude (banjo Byham), thanks to be a lover!
    I want the haters because I want to transform them in lovers! And this can be done if I cancell that damn squeack from the planet Heart.
    at present I have received very good reports for the uke players as well as from the classical guitar players.
    here is how these squeackless Sugar strings looks: not more trasparent like a glass but a bit similar to nylon. nothing else has changed except the fact that the vibrato is a bit better.

my best regards From Northen Italy: we all here are fighting against that damn Corona Virus. Aquila is doing a great job with all out workers. We have a very stricht protocol

Ciao
    Mimmo
    Last edited by mimmo; 03-14-2020 at 04:40 AM.

Thread Information