Aquila ukulele sugar strings: are there available a few haters because squeack noise?

when.... Aquila is closed due coronavirus problem that is around our villages and houses. Almost all the factory are closed and we all are closed in our houses since 1 month. We suppose another month in our houses. Nobody here in Italy knows when we can re -open. Not possible any prevision not only for stores but also if Aquila will survive after this disaster. Of course we will do our best: never ever give up.
sorry
Mimmo

This is a good reality check for me (maybe some of us?). The internet gives us this false sense of security. We take so many things for granted. Just last week I bought some Aquila strings to convert a soprano uke to fifth tuning. I "assumed" that Aquila strings will always be there for ever, but life is fragile.

I thank you Mimmo for what you do and your wonderful strings. Hope to keep you around for a long time. Prayers for you and Italy.

Eugenio

hello guys,
here is how will look the Sugar set (this example is for classical guitar)

Thanks for the picture mimmo, that helps much. Take care of yourself, and your family, as we get through this.
May God bless and watch over you.
jfk

Wow. Great work Mimmo. I'm glad your company is able to help out during these rough times. Hopefully we can all do our part, whatever that may be.

First off, apologies to Mimmo for taking so long with this review. No excuses.

2nd unfortunately, I may not be the best reviewer for SUGAR strings in particular, mainly because I don't care for Nylguts, so I naturally extract that dislike to Aquila in general.

That said, this review will be more of a Sugar review, with comparisons to Nylgut.

Caveat: I do feel Nylguts have their place on lower end instruments. On high end customs, I feel they don't bring out complexities, but rather overwhelm with a brash, in your face tone. Which is where cheaper instruments may perceive this as volume, and rightfully so.

Strung up a 12 fret Martin Tenor:
Snapped both first strings that were sent. No go for me.
Next, and most importantly for this thread - no idea what squeak is on these strings, so if it was an issue before, it's not anymore

Your choice if you want to to read on, but the squeak issue has been addressed.
On the 2, 3 and 4 strings, the feel is much different than Nylguts, better, not as 'dry'. The tone is WAY better, specifically, not brash.

I don't like how they string up -it takes a LOT to get them to pitch. I relate this to Savarez 540 Series Alliance. The 541 (first string) takes a lot to bring to pitch compared to the 542/3/4, and it feels "A Strong" compared to the g C E (note: switching to Crystal Trebles addressed this). The Sugar set is like that across the board, and mentioned earlier as well.

On the Martin, the tone is sweet, very surprising for Aquila. If you're looking for strings with a lot of attack, look elsewhere. Although this set gravitates to strumming, it holds it's own picking as well, and would perform well all around.

Intonation seems good, which was an issue for me way back when. Am I a "hater" as Mimmo wanted? I'd say no. There's a LOT to be said about not just the product, but also the people behind the product, and Mimmo travels in the right direction.

Even if the first string issue was addressed (which, personally, is an entire set issue in the way the strings tune up), I wouldn't string MY instruments with this set. Caveat: I wouldn't string just any instrument with string I use either. I can see its application on other instruments though, and they're cheap enough to just run through a few sets/instruments to see if they match you.

Mimmo, I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Top Bottom