VIDEO- Ultrasonic humidifier for the Workshop

Beau Hannam Ukuleles

Reaction score
These are great as they put out pure steam/fog.

Because I build in Fairbanks Alaska where winter temps get down to -35F regularly the indoor humidity gets into the 15% range without humidifying. I have tried all of the types along with one just like you have here. It works good for humidifying .... But I hated it. Unless you want to use and pay for distilled water any minerals in the water goes out with the mist. I ended up with a fine white coat of dust EVERYWHERE!!!! and it is hard to clean it up. I do have a water softener for my tap water but it does not get all of minerals out. I now use a cheap hot mist type (20$) and a cheap humidity controller that you can find on Amazon. The downside to the warm mist type is that the electrodes wear out rather quickly. I have 5 of them and that gets me through one winter season. I have learned how to replace the eroded electrodes with strips of stainless steel and rebuild them all before the next winter season. If anyone wants to know how I do this let me know.

Tom

Agree with tParse. Unless I can find an inexpensive source for "purified" or distilled water, I'd likely avoid. And, ( I looked up the brand ) I saw that this model uses 280W of electricity. Until I get a few solar panels ;-) that's a bit much for me to run. I think I'm going to look into the semi-passive systems (like AprilAire) that attach to my furnace. Thx for sharing, regardless. Made me think/look, as I'm struggling keeping % above 35.

I use tap water. I'm not going to piss around with distilled water.

I've not noticed any white dust in the 2 months i've had it- but my workshop is dusty like every other working workshop ive even been in....which begs the question...why would I care even if there was white dust...

FWIW , my furnace guy advised me against the type that puts moisture into the ducts , you can get rust , mold etc.
He said I'm better off with a couple small humidifiers.

FWIW , my furnace guy advised me against the type that puts moisture into the ducts , you can get rust , mold etc.

Point taken. My daughter has had one (AprilAire) for 6 years. It's has a number of filters and is serviced each year when the furnace is serviced. They get 'duct cleaning every 5 years, so maybe that takes care of it.

EDIT: the water line to the furnace-in-line-humidifier is from the whole-house softener/purifier, too. Very little mineral buildup to make it into the system. In addition -with forced air heating- we use air MERS-13/15/16 filters that remove dust, allergens, even odors (cooking etc), never making it to the duct work :).

Last edited:
Beau,
I guess that is true but I also use one in my clean room where I store all of my personal instruments. The dust I get is much different than wood dust it is a mineral dust that turns to a smear if touched or wiped. Sounds like you don't have the same minerals in your water....Lucky You.
Tom

I think this depends a bit on where you are and how you run it. Here in Minnesota they're pretty common and rarely cause trouble because it's unusual to put so much moisture into the air to cause a problem. Most newer homes have the whole-house humidifier (tied into the furnace ducts) on a smart thermostat that dials back humidity as it gets colder, so you can avoid getting frost or condensation on the inside of windows.

I also have a little Air-O-Swiss very similar to the humidifier in the video above should someone get sick and want a little extra humidity in one room, and they work well but do need cleaning and spread dust if you have hard water.

Top Bottom