Thread: FS: Two Great Kiwaya Sopranos (KTS-4) (KS-5)

Default FS: Two Great Kiwaya Sopranos (KTS-4) (KS-5)

Both (together):
    KTS-4 $375. sold
    KS-5 $300 sold

Price includes: Shipping and insurance CONUS

I purchased these this year to give them a try. I saw both of these in the market place, knew they came from great homes and were well cared for, and knew I would be getting a great representation of a solid mahogany and Koa laminate from Kiwaya. For the past few years, I have been helping Alvin Okami to distribute his new Wow, Banger, and AO sopranos from UkeSA. I try to compare them to other great sopranos on the market. I had never played the Kiwaya ukes and wanted to try them to get first hand experience. I can now pass these beauties on.

These are really great ukes. What I had heard about these, and now discovered first hand, is that these are excellent ukuleles. I compared them both to my vintage Martin Style 0 and there is not much difference. Actually, there is not a lot of difference between the KS-5 and the KTS-4. I would have to say that both have great clarity, projection, tone, and easy playability. The KTS-4 has a bit longer sustain comparing favorably to the vintage Martin, while the KS-5 has more of a mid-range tone comparing favorably to my 1997 early KoAloha soprano.

You can't beat these beauties, especially for the price. They live up to the great reviews that I saw from Ken Middleton and Bazmaz

Available- $300
    Kiwaya KS-5 Koa Laminate, upgraded UPT tuners, set up from HMS, strap buttons (no case)
    IMG_0166.jpgIMG_0163.jpgIMG_0167.jpgIMG_0101.jpgIMG_0162.jpg
    Last edited by efiscella; 02-14-2020 at 08:28 AM.

pm sent to you
    ----------------------------------
    Mainland mahogany soprano
    Kala KA-SC
    Kala La Salle tenor

the Dominican Order: to praise, to bless, to preach

Available- $300
    Kiwaya KS-5 Koa Laminate, upgraded UPT tuners, set up from HMS, strap buttons (no case)
    Click image for larger version.

Got pics of headstock, and back showing UPTs?
    John

Gold UPTs, nice, thanks Ed! That uke is gorgeous! I previously owned one, and they are wonderful sopranos. The low action/frets, wide nut and string spacing makes them a dream to play, much more so that the usual 35mm nut soprano.

I found that the body on mine was slightly deeper than many other sopranos (57/62.5mm at the top/bottom, as opposed to vintage Martin 51.6/58.6mm top/bottom), which contributes to the the great volume and projection. I'm sure the buyer will be a very happy camper!
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 02-13-2020 at 04:27 AM.
    John

I used to own that exact ks-5. It is the nicest playing uke I have ever owned, and sounds as good as most solid wood ukes. I only sold it to help fund another uke I was curious about. KS-5's incredible, as good as everyone says. I'll probably buy another some day. Someone should snap this up.
    Weymann Model 10 Mahogany Soprano (c. 1918)
    David Hanson (Cripple Creek Mandolins) Mahogany Teardrop Soprano

Everything you said about this uke is great, and the condition is spectacular.

Quote Originally Posted by CPG View Post
    I used to own that exact ks-5. It is the nicest playing uke I have ever owned, and sounds as good as most solid wood ukes. I only sold it to help fund another uke I was curious about. KS-5's incredible, as good as everyone says. I'll probably buy another some day. Someone should snap this up.
    Last edited by efiscella; 02-13-2020 at 04:21 AM.

Thread Information