Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strings on Kalas

Default Strings on Kalas

Does anyone know off hand what strings Kala usually uses on their concert ukes? Examples Kala ACP-CTG?

Aquila....

Thanks that is what I thought. Not too partial to Aquila. Anyone have some Aquila strings they really love?

I tried their 'reds' for a while, (low G), but then found fluorocarbons, (Living Water), never looked at anything else since.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

The ‘Martin Premium by Aquila’ strings are a nice compromise of the brightness of fluorocarbon with a richer tone. The Sugar strings sound great but initially are too squeaky. Aquila is testing new formulas to limit the squeak.
    PLAYERS: Martin C1K • Enya Nova U concert (BLUE!) • Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top) • Ohana SK-28 ‘Nunes’ • Flea koa soprano • Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany soprano <yay!!> • Famous FS-1 <yippee!!> • Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> • Makala MK-CE concert
    LOOKERS: • Vintage 'Mauna Loa' c. 1925 soprano • Kahuna "Felix the Cat" soprano • Woodrow "Steelers" soprano <eyeroll>

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

Yes, Aquilas are everywhere, installed on most all new ukes from Kala, Ohana, Cordoba, etc. I prefer flourocarbon strings on most ukes, but Aquilas do sound better on some ukes. I have one less expensive tenor where Aquilas sound excellent. Also, the more expensive Kanilea brand installs Aquilas on their ukes, they feel that the Aquilas sound best on their instruments. If not happy with your current strings, just experiment until you find what you like.
    John

I have some sugar Aquilla strings on a mahogany soprano, which seems to work well.

Quote Originally Posted by CYN View Post
    Thanks that is what I thought. Not too partial to Aquila. Anyone have some Aquila strings they really love?
    Might I ask what Aquila strings you've tried and what you didn't like about them? I like Aquilas. When I first started playing they were the string. Everyone had to have Aquila strings. I've just stuck with them. I used Nylgut and Super Nylgut for years. The last year or so I've been using Sugars on one of my ukes and I really like them.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

I have low g reds on mine and like them. I've noticed difference in string sets though. in some the string feels more rough, it others, more smooth. I actually like the ones that feel a little rougher.

Just put some Oasis Flurocarbons on my Mainland mahogany and like them enough that I may try them on my Kala next change.

I'm really high on the reds; work well for soprano and concert. Haven't tried them on my tenor, which I really prefer with Savane.
    ----------------------------------
    Mainland mahogany soprano
    Kala KA-SC
    Kala La Salle tenor

the Dominican Order: to praise, to bless, to preach

Thread Information