Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Strings on Kalas

Good to know. I've got some Oasis in my box and will give them a swing. Boy do I hate that resettling period, though. But the reds DID give me more soprano barminess!!!!
    ----------------------------------
    Mainland mahogany soprano
    Kala KA-SC
    Kala La Salle tenor

the Dominican Order: to praise, to bless, to preach

Thanks guys for the help. I have really just used the Aquilas that have come on the instruments. So maybe I have not really given them a chance. I just went on to other strings. I do have a package of Aquila Lavas I could try.

Kala normally uses Aquila Nylguts, but most of their acacia-and-cedar and spruce-and-ebony model lines sound better with Aquila Reds, especially if you opt for linear tuning.
    "Who hears music, feels his solitude Peopled at once -- for how count heart-beats plain / Unless a company, with hearts which beat, / Come close to the musician, seen or no?" - Robert Browning, "Balaustion's Adventure"

Flourocarbon strings are the finest from my point of view, you should try them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    Might I ask what Aquila strings you've tried and what you didn't like about them? I like Aquilas. When I first started playing they were the string. Everyone had to have Aquila strings. I've just stuck with them. I used Nylgut and Super Nylgut for years. The last year or so I've been using Sugars on one of my ukes and I really like them.
    I agree. Strings are such a personal thing. What one person absolutely loves and recommends, you may detest. Not just the sound, but the thickness and texture of the strings and apparent tension as well.

I really like the sound of Sugars, but the squeak wouldn't go away fast enough for me. Hoping the new version is a winner.
    Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by CYN View Post
    Thanks guys for the help. I have really just used the Aquilas that have come on the instruments. So maybe I have not really given them a chance. I just went on to other strings. I do have a package of Aquila Lavas I could try.
    The Aquila Lavas should be the exact same strings as the ones that came with the instrument (Super Nylgut) except for the colour. If you don't like the Super Nylguts then I wouldn't bother with the Lavas.

Strings are quite a personal thing. I'd suggest trying most of the different types. Many have already mentioned Aquila Reds and Sugars. Both should be slightly brighter than the Super Nylguts/Lavas. I prefer fluorocarbons myself but they are typically the brightest. If you don't fancy that you can try the Martin Premiums, as someone suggested. They're a nice mix of fluorocarbon and nylgut, not quite as bright. If still too bright, try brown (Worth) or black (Fremont) fluorocarbons. If you really want to go to the mellow end, try clear or black nylon (D'Addario, for example).

Personally, I love to try out which strings sound best for me on which instrument, which feel best for my fingers, etc. Changing to a different type of string can completely change how a uke sounds. Just my two cents.

Yes, Aquila are the best for uke sound.

I'm not fond of the white Aquila nylgut. I think there are better strings out there. Reds are quite superior.

Try also fluorocarbons. Brown Worths can mellow out the sound if you like going that direction.
    ----------------------------------
    Mainland mahogany soprano
    Kala KA-SC
    Kala La Salle tenor

the Dominican Order: to praise, to bless, to preach

I've tried Aquila strings on several of my tenors. I think they are fine strings, I just don't care for the Nylon or Gut sound. They sound harsh and klangy to me.

They do sound really good on my banjo ukes.

I liked the sound of the Sugars. They seem like a very good mix of Nylon and fluorocarbon sound and characteristics. The squeak was irritating though.

I find that the thick Nylon strings are somewhat harder on my fingers. Not as bendy as the thinner fluoros.

Strictly my own personal preferences.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Thread Information